Sledge Hammers!

I don't know much about the maker but it is a neat hammer. I've not dressed too many hammer faces but I only took what was needed and kept its lines as found- only cleaner.

Munson.hammer

Munson.hammer

Munson.hammer

Munson.hammer

Also, since I candied the handle in that nasty can of BLO and mineral spirits so long, I just stuck the tiny steel wedge back in the hole it came from:

Munson.hammer

Atha Spalling Hammer
16lbs

I have had several Atha Spalling hammers but never one with two inverted 2's stamped.?
Anyone have any ideas (to the two 2's?):D
Thank you

20190808-105505.jpg

20190808-105510.jpg

20190808-105516.jpg

20190808-105542.jpg

I think this is my first post here (posting hammers) in this thread in over a year. I'm doing some painting for a gentleman that owns a large antique store. I've purchased some really great things from him in the past. Anyway laying behind his garage just rusting away I find these little sweeties! 2 Maine RR hammers. A few before and after pics;
xh2k4fx.jpg
PpBJcpc.jpg
CSPdzGh.jpg

I had never heard of a slug devil before today. I was pretty confused until I got it cleaned up! It weighs #9-15.4oz and the smaller, unmarked one weighs #4-9.3oz.
IOw3Oes.jpg
DoiQubo.jpg
9CjrW1U.jpg
SAdiYg3.jpg

And OF COURSE some douchbag HAD to hammer on the one spot where it said which railroad it was used on... I can see
ME(smallhammermarks)RR.
6810jVa.jpg

And lastly the step wedges that came out of them. The large interesting one was from the slug devil.
hjjWlyt.jpg

Have a good one guys!

Last edited:

So I found this little hammer at the flea market a while back. It’s taken me about six months to hang it. If you look at the eye it is a Wide’ish rectangle at the base and then it abruptly tapers to a cylinder. I’m thinking maybe a jewelers hammer? If anyone has any idea please let me know. The faces cleaned up great. But the only way I could get a good fit was to make the handle on the lather following the eye’s tapers, then take a spokeshave and square or “rectangle” off the base. Then I cross wedged it the best I could. It’s not coming off but I don’t understand this design at all... all input is appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Also, there are no markings on the head at all.

That's great to hear. I picked it up and simply knew it was well made.

Back