Slicers be gone.

Impressive, but did you notice how thin those were? Not cleavers so much as big rectangular knives. I wish they wouldn’t have sped things up so much, would be nice to see it done real time.

They're vegetable cleavers, nakiri I believe. Slicier than most western chefs knives. Fun video though.

Last edited:
They're vegetable cleavers, nakiri I believe. Slicier than most western chefs knives. Fun video though.

It's a Chinese Chef's Knife aka Cai Dao I believe. It will be used for everything but chopping through bones. Essentially the same intent as a western chef's knife. A nakiri is a much shorter double beveled Japanese vegetable knife. Usuba being the single bevel version.

All of them are absolutely slicers so I don't get the thread title at all.

It's a Chinese Chef's Knife aka Cai Dao I believe. It will be used for everything but chopping through bones. Essentially the same intent as a western chef's knife. A nakiri is a much shorter double beveled Japanese vegetable knife. Usuba being the single bevel version.

All of them are absolutely slicers so I don't get the thread title at all.
Maybe he didn't watch the video before posting it? Confusing.

Anyhoo, gonna try the mushroom, green onion and leek moves. Want to try the cucumber lattice thing but can't help but think I might disappoint myself.

Maybe he didn't watch the video before posting it? Confusing.

Anyhoo, gonna try the mushroom, green onion and leek moves. Want to try the cucumber lattice thing but can't help but think I might disappoint myself.

Just be cautious. The first time I tried it I cut myself.

I have a great small cleaver somewhere in this style that was listed as a "small cleaver/tall nakiri" when I bought it from CKTG years ago. It's < 3mm at the spine and thin as all get out at the edge. If OP tried to chop through bone with one of these "cleavers" he'd find himself in need of a new knife in a hurry. These are really thin, particularly down at the edge.

Those are "Chinese chef knives". You can find one at about any asian market.

They are basically a really tall nakiri. Thin geometry and great cutters. Really underrated IMO.

The extra wide blade makes it easy to transfer cut food as well.

Back