Slick handle solution!! Update

Just receive an order of “Re-Grip.” This is a rubber tube held open by a coil of plastic. Slip the coil over a tool, knife, epee grip, whatever - pull the loose end of the coil, the tube contracts onto the grip. I bought a few of each size for another project (the epee grip should give a hint), but have decided to try one on my Smatchet handle (to replace the current “Rescue Tape”). I did this once before, when I shortened an “African Walking Stick,” and turned it into a mace. Worked out fine.

I’ll take pix, but don’t have a posting site, so will have to figure something out.

Keep you posted.

I bet these grips would be nice on a drop forged Survivalist or Laredo Bowie!
Yep, that’s the stuff I bought. With the forged models, you’d have gaps between the rubber and steel - so might want to put something in the handle divots; ReGrip isn’t shrink-to-fit. (Could be epoxy putty, or mini-kit of hooks and line.) That being said, would probably do great things for a Bushman.

Same principle as putting a section of bicycle inner tube around a knife handle but better! Thanks for the heads up on this great product.

Update:

Well, it worked... Some PITA-factor involved, but I like the result. Also put this stuff on my CS Police Truncheon.

As I mentioned, I don’t have any photo posting services, but I’m happy to send along pix from my phone (shoot me a message with your cell, or email, and I’ll provide).

Next stop, a Jungle Machete - with a ReGrip handle.

Thanks jacksterp.

E4krCb0.jpg
rHITwDO.jpg
VUWod8I.jpg

Looks good and functional, plus when damaged easily replaced, great idea.

Self-sealing silicon tape provides a similar function. You can make it in any thickness by adding layers wherever you want them. Hardware stores carry it in black, red, yellow, or blue if you are feeling colorful.

ICtPSdj.jpg

Yes, the Smatchet wore Silicone tape before the ReGrip. It’s good stuff, but hard use can degrade the edges (learned when using it on fencing grips).

Yes, the Smatchet wore Silicone tape before the ReGrip. It’s good stuff, but hard use can degrade the edges (learned when using it on fencing grips).

Yeah, the trick is to cut off the thin leading edge. A thick, adhered layer won't roll, but you have to put it under tension for it to stick. This makes the leading and terminating edges thin, so I keep some sacrificial material on the end. The hard whip in that picture uses that technique, and the handle has held up to years of use swinging 5 lbs of steel around.

Back