slight blade play while opening

I bought a Calypso Jr. SS a few weeks ago. I noticed something this morning that I'm not sure was there before...

When the blade is closed, it's tight, with no blade play. When I open the blade about 2/3 of the way, there's a slight lateral blade play. However, when it's locked up, it's rock solid. Is this normal? I think that there was no play before, but it might just be that I haven't noticed it.

I've been carrying the knife in my waistband and some of my pants are pretty tight (please, no weight loss jokes - biking season's about to start!). I noticed that the waistband can press a bit on the side of the blade, but surely that can't be enough to introduce blade play??

Thanks!

I would say this is a fairly common occurence, and not to be worried. On most of my knives, there is a little bit of blade play during the opening. When it is bad would just be when it is locked open. If there is any play here, not as good.

However, given the nature of a folder, a lot of them have a small amount of lateral play even when open. This is still ok, in moderation. If it is excessive, it wouldn't be good. Also, front to back play during lock up isn't good.

Your knife sounds ok. I would not worry about it. If it gets a lot worse, then, maybe worry a bit. You should be all set.

And, wearing it IWB wouldn't normally have a huge effect on it, barring excessive bending/pressure. Just will loosen a bit as it wears in.

Enjoy.

------------------
Sean

If you find you must throw something at me, please make it a custom.

"May your blade chip and shatter"- Dune Fremen fighting saying

Thanks!

That's what I was hoping to hear! Although I'm not worried about Spyderco's warranty, once you get hooked on these knives, you don't want to part with them for even a few weeks!

Hi Denix. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

As Sean mentioned, not to worry.

sal

Back