Slight used HI Farm Kknife for 7/7

George I had a butt-ding like that on my Thamar Tin Chirra...
I fixed it with some "Walnut Wood Filler" or was it mahogany? I think it was made by loctite or somebody. I just picked the fanciest stuff they had at Lowes. It looks pretty good, very serviceable!
I have no idea how it happened, I went out into the woods and it was perfect. When I came home it was chipped! Surely it wasn't me tromping around the woods and hacking at stuff ;)

George I had a butt-ding like that on my Thamar Tin Chirra...
I fixed it with some "Walnut Wood Filler" or was it mahogany? I think it was made by loctite or somebody. I just picked the fanciest stuff they had at Lowes. It looks pretty good, very serviceable!
I have no idea how it happened, I went out into the woods and it was perfect. When I came home it was chipped! Surely it wasn't me tromping around the woods and hacking at stuff ;)
Thanks for the info stwm. That sounds like an easy fix, or I'll glue the piece back and sand it flush.

I use Tightbond wood glue. The waterproof stuff. I think Gorilla glue for wood is great stuff too. Dont matter tho because if you clamp it the bond will be stronger than the wood itself so it will never break there again. Ill try to post up something this weekend on that repair George. The grit of paper dont matter too much. Just start with something coarse like 200 to shape it and work your way up to the finish you want. Some woods dont respond so well to the higher grades like 1000+ but the dark Satisal and harder woods do. I go to 2000 or even 3000 on it. Bamboo root is fairly porous and dont do too well for me in the higher grades unless you use some polymerizing stuff like BLO or Tru oil. Then you have to do many layers and let it dry really well between coats. YMMV?

Man! Ive had a serious case of heartburn lately? Maybe im having a heart attack? Doc! You playing with them dolls again? BTW: Im going to send you a box in the next few days. You got to promise you wont use the contents on them dolls tho:)

I use Tightbond wood glue. The waterproof stuff. I think Gorilla glue for wood is great stuff too. Dont matter tho because if you clamp it the bond will be stronger than the wood itself so it will never break there again. Ill try to post up something this weekend on that repair George. The grit of paper dont matter too much. Just start with something coarse like 200 to shape it and work your way up to the finish you want. Some woods dont respond so well to the higher grades like 1000+ but the dark Satisal and harder woods do. I go to 2000 or even 3000 on it. Bamboo root is fairly porous and dont do too well for me in the higher grades unless you use some polymerizing stuff like BLO or Tru oil. Then you have to do many layers and let it dry really well between coats. YMMV?

Man! Ive had a serious case of heartburn lately? Maybe im having a heart attack? Doc! You playing with them dolls again? BTW: Im going to send you a box in the next few days. You got to promise you wont use the contents on them dolls tho:)
Thanks Danny. I'm sure it's satisal wood so I'll try it with finishing with 1000+. I've got some JB weld and some wood glue. Think I'll use JB.
Anyway thanks

Be careful if you use Gorilla glue. It swells up a lot as it cures. So use a thin layer and clamp it tight, otherwise it will be a lot of work to remove the overflow. If you're gluing a chip back in place and don't have enough clamping the Gorilla glue might push it out as it swells and turn the repair into a mess.

In fact my recommendation is to test the Gorilla glue on a couple of scrap pieces before trying it on something you care about.

Gorilla glue has a regular wood glue as well. I think the stuff your talking about is just marketed as a general purpose glue. Not sure but ill have to look into that. I always clamp so it dont matter much. Just make sure you get the "WOOD" glue. Thats some good info David. I didnt know about that stuff. I got plenty of uses for that swelling stuff.

I didn't have the piece of wood, mine went missing. I'd definitely go with the TitebondII treatment.

It's excellent stuff, I use it for nearly everything. You can get liquid or gel. I usually use the gel, it's easy to mix, one to one by volume, easier to measure, I just eye ball to equal size little dabs.
Super tough, impervious to most anything. The kit comes with brown or black dye so you can blend the color a bit to match. They dye is very concentrated, a tiny little drop goes a long long way.
If your gluing a piece back on the liquid might have an advantage but I still use the gel myself, just easier.

You can now also find it on Amazon and other places. Same exact Brownells stuff, sometimes the same price, sometimes a bit cheaper too.

That stuff is a bit pricey aint it. I think I was going to get some but if i remember correctly the shipping was crazy expensive. Ill have to check it out again. Is that what yall use to bed rifle barrels?

Exactly. That was it's original purpose. You can add steel or aluminum to it for even more strength.
I don't bed many rifles, kind of scary. You miss a void and glass it in and you'd need a chainsaw to get the gun back out of the stock. I use it for inlays, putting on knife handles, all kinds of stuff.
Watch for free shipping days, I think today is a 1 cent shipping day at Brownells, I was just looking for some AR stuff but they were out of stock, go figure.
Amazon is often times free especially for PRIME members. Shipping does throw a kink is so many things.

Well... you know I have that 03A3 right? I'm hesitant to tear the whole stock off of it for the reason you state and a few other reasons. Altho i doubt they used Acraglas on it that far back. Ill prolly tear it apart and re-mount it. Still pondering?

just for comparison, my UK 'farm knife' with a 9in. blade
(it's a 19c cabbage knife no. 2)
Cabbage%20Slicer.jpg

interesting how close it is to the HI version, pretty much the only major diff is the rounded tip rather than an abrupt sloped one.
(and no cho of course)

me too. i have no actual use for it, other than having it displayed near my food prep area has kept away any hordes of rampant murderous cabbages. the red ones are the worst. maybe the kamis will consider adopting the tip style.

That was my first thought as well. Love the looks, what could I use it for. Keeping away hordes of cabbages, especially the red ones is more than good enough for me. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one.

Out of curiosity about how thick is the blade on that, the HI versions are pretty skookum.

Nice cabbage knife Kronck! I do like the shape altho i like the pointy HI version too. What yall got against redheads? I kinda like em.;)

it's not me. i prefer red cabbage, especially pickled with apples. yummy. the red cabbage defence league's assassination cadre, from the far left of the cabbage's democratic republic of kabbbagia (a very small secret republic in the far west of the russian federation on the polish border)- with their little red book, has a price on my head, so the veteran of the cabbage wars of 1862 stands guard, and sends cabbage assassins screaming away in fear, leaving me safe to enjoy my tasty vegetable side dish, made from the shredded remains of their brethren, in peace, alongside my meat filled pirogi and pork kielbasa. same with the occasional white cabbage protester who objects to my consumption of sauerkraut.

Gorilla glue has a regular wood glue as well. I think the stuff your talking about is just marketed as a general purpose glue. Not sure but ill have to look into that. I always clamp so it dont matter much. Just make sure you get the "WOOD" glue. Thats some good info David. I didnt know about that stuff. I got plenty of uses for that swelling stuff.

I was at the hardware store yesterday and checked the glue section. You are right. There is a Gorilla wood glue as well as the general purpose Gorilla glue that I have used. They don't even look alike. It's the general purpose Gorilla glue that swells up beyond all expectation.

Once I found out about that property I used it to create a nonslip base for a bookcase. Applied a U-shaped strip of the glue to a piece of plywood and it swelled up into a convenient "lip." Not the only way to accomplish this, not the prettiest way, but certainly the easiest.

Back