Sling for Patrol Machete

I would like to purchase, or preferably make, some kind of sling to carry my BK&T Patrol Machete on my back with the handle accessable from over my right shoulder by reaching up and back with my right hand. I would like to use the standard sheath that the knife came with and attach some type of harness to it. Any ideas regarding proper design for this carry method would be very much appreciated.

Nothing to contribute as far as idea's of design, as I dont know what the sheath is like for this particular blade...

Just one thought tho, be very careful on the draw of the blade if you get your rig setup, otherwise you might give yourself a very un-pleasant haircut! :eek:

I'd think about a 'Sam Browne' belt like the Mountie's and many armies once wore. Attach a strap to the back lefthand side of a waistbelt/gunbelt/webbing tool belt, the shoulder strap goes up over your right shoulder and buckles/snaps onto the right side of your belt buckle. If you go to the trouble of buying or making said Sam Browne belt, you can always attach a few pouches, smaller sheaths, flashlight ring, holster etc...sort of a 'police belt' or 'utility belt' with a shoulder strap.

Or there's surplus H-suspenders/gunbelt rigs like those used in 'Nam, this is the grand-daddy of most carpenter toolbelt rigs you see these days.

I may be wrong in positioning a sheath in the location I so desired.

Any suggestions then, on the best location to carry a sheathed machete.

Taking safety, conveniance and ease of use into consideration. Maybe I should just ditch the sheath and hand carry it all the time? :confused:

whats wrong with belt carry? i have carried my BK&T Patrol Machete on my belt before. Its a little heavy but its not that bad, and you can still draw it one handed fine, the blade is not that long.

I have several rigs that enable me to carry short swords (and machetes) in the exact manner which you describe. I have never had any problems or mishaps whatsoever. I have not "played" with the Patrol Machete sheath like that yet. The ones that I have are devised out of military belts and webbing straps.

Peace-
Cam

Why not something like the "Crocodile Dundee" sheath which is I think vertical upside down along your spinal cord in some sort of shoulder harness. ANyone have info on Mick Dundee's carry knife and procedure?

JC

Originally posted by Orion
I have several rigs that enable me to carry short swords (and machetes) in the exact manner which you describe. I have never had any problems or mishaps whatsoever. I have not "played" with the Patrol Machete sheath like that yet. The ones that I have are devised out of military belts and webbing straps.

Peace-
Cam

Cam, can you describe your rig for the machete so that I can develop a visual image of it's components and how it fits you?

Thanks. Al.

Of the ones that I use, the main one is quite elaborate.
It consists of 2 heavy duty 3" military belts (the ones that have the rivets along the edges). One belt goes around the waist and the other runs up and over the shoulder and down the back. The shoulder belt is attached to the waist belt by paracord through the rivet holes. The sheath is also attached the same way down the back of the shoulder strap. The sheath is kydex and has the same kind of rivets so it is very compatible in that manner. Like I said, this rig is heavy duty and accomodates a lot of things in addition to a machete including binoculars, flashlight, etc...
There are simpler ones that I use that are just 1" nylon strap. I have some other sheaths that have "cross loops" on the back that will accomodate this type strap either vertically or horizontally. The strap runs down through the vertical loops and fits quite nicely for over the shoulder carry. These are also interchangable whereas the other one is not so easily changed out (due to the fact that the sheath is tied to the belt in a rather complex fashion).
Just from an initial look I do not really see a good way to attach the Patrol Machete to a rig like this... It would not be very secure and would tend to "flop" around a lot. My suggestion would be to get a custom kydex rig for it andget the cross loops on the back to accomodate the 1" straps. I am not a big fan of the stock Patrol Machete sheath....

Peace-
Cam

One thing you may want to consider with any across the back or small of back carry is the damage something there can possibly do to your spine in even a relatively minor fall.

Back