Slipjoint aluminum bronze bushing, what a pleasure

AVigil

Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Platinum Member
Making slipjoints is a challenge and brings a lot of satisfaction when it all comes together.

Hammering the pivot pin was hit or miss for me, being ham fisted it was not uncommon to get that blade to tight and then deal with the drama that comes with that.

I decided to invest in the time and money to start using pivot bushings ala Tony Bose.

The end result was a real pleasure when hammering and hiding the pivot. Doing the pivot can give you anxiety because you know one hit to many or to hard and you just increased your time in that knife to get it where it needs to be.

With the pivot bushing installed and with a 4 oz hammer working the pivot was easier then any other I have done. Peening the pin you can check side play and work the pin until side play is gone and the blade will move nicely with no pinching and long break in time.

It can be a bit fiddly during the build process insuring the bushing does not rotate and state in the same orientation, but that fiddly part is well worth having the pivot just work after peening.

Here are a few tools used for the bushing set up.

A barrel lap, a pivot lap, aluminum bronze bushing, grinding compound and i use a Rupple Jig to find where on the bushing the low spot is and mark that on the bushing.
v9CEUJb.jpg

jN77ojn.jpg

The end result

Thanks for posting your findings. I really want to try my hand at some slip joints. I'm gonna start making a shopping list for tools and parts. I all ready have a rupple Jig. I'm liking your way with the pivot bushings. Guess I got order a pivot lap and a barrel lap. I already got pin stock, Blade stock, drill bits and reamers.

I been doing some searching for my shopping list. I found the pivot lap and barrel lap on usaknifemaker. What size bushing's do you use? Also what size reamer do you use for the pivot?

A Barlow was the first pocket knife my dad gave me. Still brings back good memories to see one done well. Nice work.

Thnx for sharing.
I have a hard time understanding what I see on the 2nd pic.
Can you explain please?

I been doing some searching for my shopping list. I found the pivot lap and barrel lap on usaknifemaker. What size bushing's do you use? Also what size reamer do you use for the pivot?

Take a look here for info on how to do it. I do it like that but I do not "Stake the bushing" because it really tweaks the od. I just use a pony clamp on the bolsters when testing blade movement before peening.

http://boseknives.com/pvtbushing/index.htm

I get the bushings from K&G, they are not cheap but they are precision.

Last edited:
Thnx for sharing.
I have a hard time understanding what I see on the 2nd pic.
Can you explain please?
The puck looking like thing is used to size the bushing .001" wider then the blade. The lap is to clean out the 3/16 blade pivot hole

Back