How To Slipjoint tutorials and advice

This one is from the pattern you posted before, this is my 3rd slip joint. Thanks for the contribution

1I6f2Mx.jpg

UPDATED FILES: APRIL 12, 2019

As of today I have uploaded new pdf and cad files. I have modified my design slightly to give a little more wiggle room when profiling. The clearances between the tang and spring are slightly larger so there is less danger of screwing up the knife when setting the stops. If this doesn't make sense just trust me that this version is much less frustrating to build. I have now tested the design and I much prefer it. Visually it is almost identical but it is mechanically superior. I have also added a rough out profile for the blade and spring. This is what I use for waterjet but it can also be used to profile manually. If you profile to this you will have enough meat left over in the critical areas for later on.

This will likely be my last file update as I am happy with this design. I will begin working on a full pdf guide when I have some free time. I will clean up the pictures and base all the text only on my newest files. In the mean time I would love your feedback on the tutorial. If anyone has any questions let me know. My goal is to make this as simple as possible while still being comprehensive.

Derek - Thank you for doing all this work, as you know I've been following this thread from the start. The links to the CAD and PDF files are in posts #15 and #18. I've just downloaded them. I'll be looking forward to your full PDF guide when you're finished.

Derek - Thank you for doing all this work, as you know I've been following this thread from the start. The links to the CAD and PDF files are in posts #15 and #18. I've just downloaded them. I'll be looking forward to your full PDF guide when you're finished.
Thanks for reading Ken. I am learning as I go so this isnt a super fast process. I appreciate your input. If you get a chance to use this guide I would love to see the end result and hear your feedback.

UPDATE:
I have been very busy trying to finalize my first framelock. Admittedly this tutorial has taken a bit of a backseat for now. I will get a full pdf out eventually. I need to convince someone to stop by my shop and take some nicer pics for the final rev. I want to have a mix of cad drawings and actual pics to provide as much clarity as possible. To be honest one of the reasons I have been sitting on this is a lack of feedback. I want to ensure this guide makes sense to someone other than myself. I am hoping that a few people will be able to follow along and let me know what needs improvement. If anyone want to commit to building a slipjoint let me know. I will commit to helping out as much as I can. The info may not be nice and neat but everything I have learned is on here.

My goal with this guide is to help newer people get the first one under their belt. In my opinion it is the next logical step after fixed blades. Friction folders can be cool but not as appealing (at least to me). If you are just getting started and have made some fixed blades but want to try a folder this is aimed at you.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions let me know.

I don't know how many other folks are watching/following this thread, but I am. While I've made a few slipjoints I'm always interested in how other folks do their work. I've saved some of the CAD files you've already posted. Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Ken H>

Your thread helped me decide to make slip joints. I bought Steve Culvers book on your recommendation, I then bought Luke Swensons video on Chris Crawford website and this knife is from the first slip joint schematic you posted.

So you did motivate someone to make slipjoint knife :D

wlRyF2X.jpg

I don't know how many other folks are watching/following this thread, but I am. While I've made a few slipjoints I'm always interested in how other folks do their work. I've saved some of the CAD files you've already posted. Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Ken H>
Thanks Man

Your thread helped me decide to make slip joints. I bought Steve Culvers book on your recommendation, I then bought Luke Swensons video on Chris Crawford website and this knife is from the first slip joint schematic you posted.

wlRyF2X.jpg
That looks great. Something about natural materials like that really makes it. I want to try some stag soon. The shield is cool too I would love to try that as well. What did you end up using to cut in the shield? The fit up looks very nice.

That looks great. Something about natural materials like that really makes it. I want to try some stag soon. The shield is cool too I would love to try that as well. What did you end up using to cut in the shield? The fit up looks very nice.

Leading edge fabrication are the best for shields , I use a 1/16" end mill to cut for the shield

UPDATE:
I have been very busy trying to finalize my first framelock. Admittedly this tutorial has taken a bit of a backseat for now. I will get a full pdf out eventually. I need to convince someone to stop by my shop and take some nicer pics for the final rev. I want to have a mix of cad drawings and actual pics to provide as much clarity as possible. To be honest one of the reasons I have been sitting on this is a lack of feedback. I want to ensure this guide makes sense to someone other than myself. I am hoping that a few people will be able to follow along and let me know what needs improvement. If anyone want to commit to building a slipjoint let me know. I will commit to helping out as much as I can. The info may not be nice and neat but everything I have learned is on here.

My goal with this guide is to help newer people get the first one under their belt. In my opinion it is the next logical step after fixed blades. Friction folders can be cool but not as appealing (at least to me). If you are just getting started and have made some fixed blades but want to try a folder this is aimed at you.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions let me know.
I think this tutorial is great and have been following it for a while. I've been making knives for less than two years, mostly fixed blades and 4-5 friction folders. Ready to make the jump to slipjoints mostly because your posts make it sound easier than anything else I've read on the topic. I get home from a work trip on Monday and I'm starting my first one. Already have my blades and springs cut out! Thanks!

I think this tutorial is great and have been following it for a while. I've been making knives for less than two years, mostly fixed blades and 4-5 friction folders. Ready to make the jump to slipjoints mostly because your posts make it sound easier than anything else I've read on the topic. I get home from a work trip on Monday and I'm starting my first one. Already have my blades and springs cut out! Thanks!
Glad to hear. Good luck. Hopefully you can post up some wip pics. If anything doesnt add up on the tutorial let me know.

Derek, as you can see there are several of us folks following your thread. A question for you and other folks. For a slipjoint blade around 2.5" long, what do you think a good thickness would be? Comments from ya'll please.

Ken H>

Derek, as you can see there are several of us folks following your thread. A question for you and other folks. For a slipjoint blade around 2.5" long, what do you think a good thickness would be? Comments from ya'll please.

Ken H>

.90-.100" to start with

Thanks for comment Adam, in the .090" to .100" range is where most of my stuff starts, but once the finish blade is complete, after all the surface grinding it tends to be a tad thinner.... I think on small slipjoints look good with blades on the thinner side - .085" to .090" or so.

Where'd the nail nicks go? Or are y'all left handers?
Here is the latest one finished using the newest design.View attachment 1109079 View attachment 1109080

wlRyF2X.jpg

Randy, I'm not sure about your question. The nailnick is shown on the left side of blade, right along the spine of blade. It's before the swage. That spot seems just right for a right handed person's fingernail to use for opening blade.

Perhaps your question is about using the straight groove type nailnick rather than the half moon shape nailnick?

Last edited:
Back