Sloppy Spyderco Fit & Finish- Manix 2 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:After spending $5 on shipping, Spyderco received the knife. At least according to the USPS tracker. Problem is, they received it on May 2nd. 14 days ago. 2 weeks. It took my knife a day and half to get to them, so I highly doubt it's been on it's way here for long. I am very disappointed once again. I will be calling them today to get an update. I surely hope they include some candy and my shipping cost in with the knife.

After a mix up with my new address dealing with USPS, two weeks late and my Spyderco Manix 2 XL arrived. Of course, I was so excited to finally hold it and play with it. But once my excitement simmered down, I was incredibly disappointed in it. Call me crazy, but when I shell out $100+ on a knife, I want it to be near perfect. Especially when dealing with a companies reputation like Spyderco's.

I am not a Spyderco fanboy but I know that they are one of the best manufacturers around. From what I know about them, they generally always deliver great products. I am currently convinced that this was simply a mistake and rarely ever happens.

In these pictures you will see that my Manix 2 XL came with one perfect liner, and the other one looking like it was crushed and pressed. Companies like Kershaw sell knives with MUCH less defect for a discounted price. I paid full price, and I expected a flawless product.

IMG_5360.jpg

Notice the mangled edges on the left liner's jimping.

IMG_5365.jpg

Closer up. I wish I had a better camera to give clarity.

IMG_5367.jpg

Notice the quarter-like edges on the base of the liner. I think it looks cool, but having it on only one convinces me its a defect. Also notice how much sharper the jimping is on the left liner.

IMG_5379.jpg

The left liner has smooth and uniform jimps*(Individual jimping? New word ;D) While the right liners jimping is larger, uneven, and also bent down.

IMG_5375.jpg

Here you can see the jimping on the right liner is smooth and near perfect. On the left liner, the jimps are too aggressive in sharpness and all bent in different ways.

IMG_5386.jpg

So there's perfect, uniformed scalloped jimping.

IMG_5384.jpg

Here's the bad one. Looks like sharks teeth (and feels like them too;))

IMG_5383.jpg

So there you go, a Spyderco that lacked fit and finish to a very high degree. I have not spoken with Spyderco yet, but I will tomorrow when they are open. I am hoping they will send me a new knife because I have had this thing in the mail for long enough and I would like to get a satisfactory product the FIRST time. Don't let this effect your opinion of Spyderco too heavily, all companies have situations arise occasionally. But I do hope that Spyderco pays a bit more attention to knives heading for the market, or raises their standards on what is acceptable. I do hope this was just an honest mistake.

Last edited:
Third post on this site and you use an inflammatory lead and half your post claiming not to be a hater before even contacting the manufacturer. Drama clown.

Third post on this site and you use an inflammatory lead and half your post claiming not to be a hater before even contacting the manufacturer. Drama clown.

Who cares how many posts I have? This is a knife forum isn't it? Inflammatory? How so? By posting my experience? Of course I'm very annoyed, but I'm allowed to be. I will contact the manufacturer tomorrow. For the meantime, this stays up because this knife was embarrassing for the money I spent on it. If Spyderco truly does an amazing job fixing this issue, I will edit the post.

deleted -- I first saw the photos on a tablet and didn't see anything, but can more clearly see what you mean on a bigger PC monitor.

Last edited:
I may be crazy, but I do not see an issue. I guess if you are just going to collect, it may be bothersome. If you're not happy the best thing to do is to send it back. Good luck!

Its hard for me to tell from the pics, but is your beef that the jimping is gnarly?

A better approach might be this: before you start a thread, send the knife to Spyderco and get it fixed. Then start a thread with before and after pics, showing how you got a knife with nasty looking jimping (again, its hard for me to tell) as well as showing your satisfaction with the timeliness and quality of the repair or replacement. That is to say, maybe think about giving them a chance to fix the problem before you head straight to the internet. I think thats the beef that some folks may have with your post. The same way that you would give a Bladeforums seller an opportunity to remedy a problem before you start a thread describing the problem.

But good luck with it, and I bet you get satisfaction if you'll give Spyderco a chance to fix it.

I will certainly agree that giving the dealer and/or manufacturer a chance to make it right should ALWAYS be a person's first course of action but this knife does indeed look terrible. To the OP, is there a reason you rushed to a public forum to voice your displeasure before even speaking with a rep? Chances are you are going to end up with a perfect knife after all.

If I was Sal, I'd buy the knife back from you and try to make sure you never had the opportunity to buy of my knives again. I think it's a ridiculous complaint.

I don't have much money, so when I spend $100 I want to get my monies worth. One of the liners is perfect, the other is defective and damaged. Is that so ridiculous for me to be annoyed?

I will certainly agree that giving the dealer and/or manufacturer a chance to make it right should ALWAYS be a person's first course of action but this knife does indeed look terrible. To the OP, is there a reason you rushed to a public forum to voice your displeasure before even speaking with a rep? Chances are you are going to end up with a perfect knife after all.

I like to keep things transparent, It keeps manufacturers on their toes. I waited too long to finally get this knife to even begin to think about shipping it off again for repairs. I have no doubt that Spyderco will fix this problem, and when they do I will update this post. Coming to the forums gave me a bit of a stress relief.

The best thing for you to do is return it to the dealer and ask they inspect your replacement.

The best thing for you to do is return it to the dealer and ask they inspect your replacement.

And that is most likely what I will end up doing. It just sucks- I just moved and I have more than enough to do. The thought of having to send this back and not get it returned for who knows how long bothers me greatly.

Its hard for me to tell from the pics, but is your beef that the jimping is gnarly?

A better approach might be this: before you start a thread, send the knife to Spyderco and get it fixed. Then start a thread with before and after pics, showing how you got a knife with nasty looking jimping (again, its hard for me to tell) as well as showing your satisfaction with the timeliness and quality of the repair or replacement. That is to say, maybe think about giving them a chance to fix the problem before you head straight to the internet. I think thats the beef that some folks may have with your post. The same way that you would give a Bladeforums seller an opportunity to remedy a problem before you start a thread describing the problem.

But good luck with it, and I bet you get satisfaction if you'll give Spyderco a chance to fix it.

Yes I will update this post in the future. I tried hard to keep the attitude of the post away from appearing to be a rant. I love Spyderco, and this knife hurt my feelings:'(

Is it necessary to use the excessively large fonts? It's a $100 production knife. I know it may seem a lot like to some people (I would know, I was one of them). But if you want insane fit and finish, go custom or CRK. There is a reason for the high prices on those. As for the M2 XL and M2, IIRC, it's a model Spyderco is selling at a loss but recouping with units moved, not unlike the Para2. Take it or leave it.

I like to keep things transparent, It keeps manufacturers on their toes. I waited too long to finally get this knife to even begin to think about shipping it off again for repairs. I have no doubt that Spyderco will fix this problem, and when they do I will update this post. Coming to the forums gave me a bit of a stress relief.

I understand. Spyderco has been my favorite knife company for quite some time but stuff happens and it stinks to draw the dud. You'll encounter every response possible on the forum but in the end it is the consumer that decides where his dollar goes. I have every confidence that dollar for dollar Spyderco offers not only a top notch product but also top notch service. I look forward to your follow up.

i'd feel the way he does if that happened to me. and in my anger, i might also go into comparatives and pre-supposed notions about a manufacturer. the funny thing is the last two are the well-written parts in his post. guess i'm not much of a complainer.

Honestly I agree with the op. I have waited a long time for some of my knives, it took 6 weeks for my Manix XL to reach me and if it looked like that I'd be pissed too. I might even get mad enough to start a thread, and he did say he's gonna contact them so let the man vent.

If you have no doubt that they will fix or replace the knife with one without the issue you should contact the dealer. The post you made will not make you feel better. Getting a warranty claim going will. Or call the customer service department at Spyderco. I am sure they will work hard to make you happy and feel better.

If one gets a gnarled up knife from a dealer the first step is to contact the dealer for a replacement. If the replacement knife arrives in perfect condition then it's a non-issue. Nothing on your part was done to rectify the situation. Too busy to send a knife back? Did you even call the dealer to explain the situation or did you assume they would do nothing? You have several different avenues to fix the problem and your first thought is to rant about it. Geez, a lemon squeaks by every now and then. It happens.

Do your part. Call the dealer. Exchange the knife.

It's not too hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back