Sloppy Spyderco Fit & Finish- Manix 2 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it, "defective" It still works doesn't it? Then it is a flaw.

Good point the jimping may work even better this way LOL. So what we have may be a cosmetic issue.

Sorry let me use the correct font......

Good point the jimping may work even better this way LOL. So what we have may be a cosmetic issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I will update this post in the future. I tried hard to keep the attitude of the post away from appearing to be a rant. I love Spyderco, and this knife hurt my feelings:'(

Yes, this is only an extremely minor cosmetic issue. Yet, this is an issue because it hurt the OP's feelings.

I have to look really hard to see it.

Seems to me you were all bothered about this because it was taking so long for it to get to you and when it finally did, by now you were furious and hurt at this point you began looking for any excuse for spyderco to share in all the wrongs the world has done to you.

Kid, if this is all it takes to hurt you emotionally I feel really bad for you, and anyone that has the misfortune of sharing your life with you.

This is a knife forum, not a place designed to coddle you at others expense to make you feel better. Your county should have an organization funded and staffed with professionals whose job it is to do that. While you are there expect to see people with a lot of real problems that are much, much worse than yours. That alone might make it worthwhile.

If you don't like the knife contact the appropriate people and send it back. If it's out of spec, or defective you will get taken care of.

Joe

Hi Rainbow Canyons,

Welcome to the Spyderco forums.

Sorry about your disappointment. I know you are expecting a perfect knife, but in reality, that's not possible. I have many expensive customs and I cannot say that I have a "perfect" knife. It's a matter of what your expectations are. If you are having a problem with what you feel is a defect, you should contact the dealer for a replacement, or send it to us for a "look-see". Perhaps it is something that can be remedied.

While $100 may seem like a lot of money, and it is, it is not expensive for a USA made knife with a high performance steel.

sal

Last edited:
The real problem is that there is jimping on the underside of the handle. Ouch! I have no idea why people like such agressive jimping.

I received a Spyderco Superleaf with some chips in the G10 near the compression lock. It sucked, but hey, it was made by humans so there's always a possibility for a mistake.

What'd I do? Sent it back to the dealer (rhymes with Rife Perks). Got a refund within two days.

A little advice on ranty-mcrant posts when you are all upset: Type the post in a txt document. Give it a night to sit. Steam usually clears with a good night's rest.

Yes, this is only an extremely minor cosmetic issue. Yet, this is an issue because it hurt the OP's feelings.

Seems to me you were all bothered about this because it was taking so long for it to get to you and when it finally did, by now you were furious and hurt at this point you began looking for any excuse for spyderco to share in all the wrongs the world has done to you.

Kid, if this is all it takes to hurt you emotionally I feel really bad for you, and anyone that has the misfortune of sharing your life with you.

This is a knife forum, not a place designed to coddle you at others expense to make you feel better. Your county should have an organization funded and staffed with professionals whose job it is to do that. While you are there expect to see people with a lot of real problems that are much, much worse than yours. That alone might make it worthwhile.

If you don't like the knife contact the appropriate people and send it back. If it's out of spec, or defective you will get taken care of.

Joe

This. Joe said it better than I was about to.

A little advice on ranty-mcrant posts when you are all upset: Type the post in a txt document. Give it a night to sit. Steam usually clears with a good night's rest.

Good advice.

The real problem is that there is jimping on the underside of the handle. Ouch! I have no idea why people like such agressive jimping.

They watched too many nutnfancy vidoes :barf:

It works really well with gloves ;) like in the snow and cold. Speaking form personal experience of course. I find it ok, but I`d prefer not every knife has it.

Joe

You win big guy. Clearly I'm not emotionally hurt. Somehow I guess the :'( face didn't make it clear. I have very high expectations for Spyderco, and this knife did not meet them. Your just one of those people that loves to talk down to others huh? (Clear signs: "kid" "i feel really bad for you" sarcastic banter). If anything it appears you're the one taking this forum too seriously. Good day.

Hi Rainbow Canyons,

Welcome to the Spyderco forums.

Sorry about your disappointment. I know you are expecting a perfect knife, but in reality, that's not possible. I have many expensive customs and I cannot say that I have a "perfect" knife. It's a matter of what your expectations are. If you are having a problem with what you feel is a defect, you should contact the dealer for a replacement, or send it to us for a "look-see". Perhaps it is something that can be remedied.

While $100 may seem like a lot of money, and it is, it is not expensive for a USA made knife with a high performance steel.

sal

Sal,

I understand that perfection is impossible. And you are right, for the price, this knife is very competitively priced and I can't complain about the price. However while yes there are much more expensive knives (and my standards would go up dramatically the more I spent) I am very certain that if you, or anyone else on this forum, were to hold this knife and look at it with the naked eye you would see why I am disappointed. There were some angles that were hard to take pictures of to do it justice. I hate confrontation and I HATE returns, and I would do neither if this was a minor deal.

Also I have never spent over $70 on a knife before (I rarely can convince myself to) so my expectations were very high. But that being said, the cheaper knives I have purchased came with perfectly uniform liners and jimping.

Thanks for your reply

Sorry let me use the correct font......

Hahaha... fine yes, it is cosmetic. But the damn jimping is so sharp on the flawed liner that for a lesser man, it may be deemed defective ;)

If one gets a gnarled up knife from a dealer the first step is to contact the dealer for a replacement. If the replacement knife arrives in perfect condition then it's a non-issue. Nothing on your part was done to rectify the situation. Too busy to send a knife back? Did you even call the dealer to explain the situation or did you assume they would do nothing? You have several different avenues to fix the problem and your first thought is to rant about it. Geez, a lemon squeaks by every now and then. It happens.

Do your part. Call the dealer. Exchange the knife.

It's not too hard to do.

+1 :thumbup: Yup

Okay here are some decent angles:

IMG_5386.jpg

So there's perfect, uniformed scalloped jimping.

IMG_5384.jpg

Here's the bad one. Looks like sharks teeth (and feels like them too;))

IMG_5383.jpg

I know it's not a huge problem. But I've noticed it, and now I can't UNnotice it. I have contacted Spyderco (waiting on a response in action, I'll post update).

I know it's not a huge problem. But I've noticed it, and now I can't UNnotice it. I have contacted Spyderco (waiting on a response in action, I'll post update).

Not sure how you contacted them, but a phone call would be the fastest way to get started in resolving the issue. I'm sure you will be asked to send the knife in where their QC dept. will check out it out. From the pics you've provided, I'm sure you would be sent a replacement immediately.

800-525-7770

Thank you. I don't have any time to ship a package soon so I sent an email/message to at least get the ball rolling (The website also directed me towards that route rather than a call). I have no doubt that Spyderco will do everything they can.

I won't comment on whether I think this is an imperfection worth complaining about, but will just point out that there are two ways you can resolve it. The first would be to contact the dealer and, if they agree, return the knife to them for replacement. The second would be to follow the instructions listed here, pack it up, and send it to Spyderco for evaluation. If they feel it does not meet their standards, they'll replace it, otherwise they'll simply return it to you.

Thank you. I don't have any time to ship a package soon so I sent an email/message to at least get the ball rolling (The website also directed me towards that route rather than a call). I have no doubt that Spyderco will do everything they can.

It's been a long time since I've dealt with their CS but I have nothing but good experience with them for those few times that something was out of whack with one of my Spyders(and I do mean very few times, only a couple to be exact in the past 10 years or so). Taking the time to mail a knife in or, even worse, waiting for one to come in is the bad part that always tests my patience....must be getting old, lol.

The OP has every right to complain about bad fit & finish. This is a public forum where we come to discuss, debate and raise issues. It is not the Care Bears forum where everything is rainbows and smiles. Sometimes people will complain about things. Knife manufacturers will get it wrong sometimes and their customers will address the issue as they see fit, even if a forum posting is not the best way to resolve it.

I have read many posts in the past about bad F&F relating to many knife brands, most of the time people will sympathize or tell the OP how their model is perfect. It seems to me that the larger issue with this post is that it is a post complaining about Spyderco. It irks me that on this forum Sal and Spyderco are gods and can do no wrong. Heaven forbid somebody points out a failing or short coming. Heathens and Heretics!

Don't misunderstand me. I REALLY like my Spyderco knives, and have not had any quality or F&F issues. So I am not bashing Spyderco at all. What I am saying is that the Spyderco fanboys on Bladeforums need to get off their high horses for a while and realize that Spyderco is fallible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back