Sloppy Spyderco Fit & Finish- Manix 2 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, spyderco is well loved here. I feel the same way to an extent. I've had hit and miss experiences with they're quality control, but when they get it right its amazing. The make excellent knives and have a lot of fans.

People, please remember that it is always best to let the dealer, or Spyderco have a chance to take care of the problem before bringing it to the boards.

If they don't take care of you then take your pics and start a long thread about it, but at least give them a chance.

This BF site would be full of threads like this if everyone that got a production knife with flaws started a thread about it before contacting the dealer or manufacturer.

I read and this and just set here and laugh to myself. It really seems as if anybody says anything about someone's favorite knife brand they get jumped on

We are trying to help him out on how to handle things like this. I hope others can learn from this as well.

I couldn't read all of your post, my eyes ran together,lol. But, like I said...It is always best to contact the Dealer or Manufacturer FIRST before starting a thread like this.

If everyone on the Blade Forum site made a thread about every production knife they have a problem with Blade Forums would be over run in most every manufacturer's room's with thread just like this. I hope you, and others, can understand that.

I'm sorry if the OP's not satisfied. I've only had a real issue with one of the many Spydercos I've purchased, a lanyard tube problem on a Yojimbo. Spyderco quickly repaired it.

But I'm not satisifed, either. I lost my Manix XL after only a week or two, while traveling from Bagram. Terrific knife. Oh, well. :(

No one should be saying- it's only $100 why should he expect excellent fit and finish. If a person or company takes true pride in their product, whether $10 or $100,000, they will assure quality fit and finish. That's what we use to expect in the US. Maybe we lost that.

Very true..................nice! :thumbup:

Maybe this is just an issue with Spyderco knives made in the USA. I noticed my P'Kal which I spent about $140 dollars on at the time(I think the price has come down some) wasn't 100% perfect in manufacturing like my other Spyderco's such as the Delica, Endura and little Ladybug.

*snip*

To the OP, is there a reason you rushed to a public forum to voice your displeasure before even speaking with a rep? Chances are you are going to end up with a perfect knife after all.

This is the world we're in now - post it all on the internet and worry about whether or not that was the right thing to do at a later time, if at all.

I understand the disappointment resulting from a new knife arriving in a condition you find unacceptable. A little over a year ago it caused me to do the same thing the OP did here and in hindsight I wish I'd handled it differently in terms of crying foul in public before trying to get things put right. I look back on what I did and realize that it accomplished nothing and came off as somewhat petulant. Everyone deals with the situation their own way but when I see things like this it just reminds me of when I did it and why it was unnecessary.

I lost my Manix XL after only a week or two, while traveling from Bagram. Terrific knife. Oh, well.

Dang! That sucks!

How did it perform while you had it?

Mine is perfect, at least in my eyes. If there was an issue with it, so glaring as to cause me dissatisfaction, I would have just sent it back where purchased for an exchange. Why waste your time, if you buy it new from a reputable dealer you always have a return/exchange period. Even brand new cars costing many thousands of dollars, rarely are perfect enough that they don't go back to the dealer to get a little something corrected. A knife is a lot less complicated, but still it can and does happen.

That poked out jimping would mean stronger grip isn't it? You are the lucky one :D

It gives it s soul. I understand for real. 100= KNIFE Shold be prfec ..Idk what people think. "p its a beate" Folding knives are not FIXED BLADE

I don't know.

Hmm, I guess you're right. This may be a little trickier than I had initially thought.

If you want to keep your warranty intact, I would just try to hit the inside corners of the jimping around the bottom of the knife (not the spine or pivot area), it doesn't have anything in the way.
I assume that's the stuff that bothers people the most anyway.

Otherwise, I would take the whole thing apart and polish the liners individually, with everything removed. It's the only way to ensure you only sand down the jimping, and not the blade tang/backspacer/scales.

You just need to be really careful not to strip the screws.

So the OP hates having to send back his knife for repair or replacement, because he is really busy and it is inconvenient to do so. I bet he has spent more time writing and reading this thread than it would have taken to box it up and drive over to the UPS/Post Office, so much for being too busy.

Ahhh but I have a solution, he should buy his knives only from brick and mortar stores he can visit in person. That way he can personally check fit and finish and other QC issues for himself, this should help minimize any "hurt feelings"

I have had two dealings with Spyderco customer service, one was over a Dodo that did not lock properly, phone rep said they had moved to using a stronger spring to fix the problem so I sent it in. The other was Endura that had developed blade play over a few years, this was one of the plastic clip models, and they sent me a replacement model with the now standard steel clip I was very happy with that exchange. Yeah it is kind of a pain to send knives back but
as long as their customer service takes good care of me, and it happens infrequently I am just fine with it.

So the OP hates having to send back his knife for repair or replacement, because he is really busy and it is inconvenient to do so. I bet he has spent more time writing and reading this thread than it would have taken to box it up and drive over to the UPS/Post Office, so much for being too busy.

The USPS site allows you to have the mail carrier deliver free small knife sized flat rate boxes to your door. You can print out postage/label on line. Leave it in your mailbox. Postal carrier picks it up. Much less effort than conducting an online diatribe. And actually will lead to a resolution of the problem.

Or since the OP prefers to do stuff online. Go to spyderco.com. Click on "contact us". Select either "I need help with a warranty issue" or "How do I know if I have a warranty or repair issue". A lot less effort than the online smear campaign and again will actually lead to a likely resolution of the problem.

UPDATE:After spending $5 on shipping, Spyderco received the knife. At least according to the USPS tracker. Problem is, they received it on May 2nd. 14 days ago. 2 weeks. It took my knife a day and half to get to them, so I highly doubt it's been on it's way here for long. I am very disappointed once again. I will be calling them today to get an update. I surely hope they include some candy and my shipping cost in with the knife.

UPDATE:After spending $5 on shipping, Spyderco received the knife. At least according to the USPS tracker. Problem is, they received it on May 2nd. 14 days ago. 2 weeks. It took my knife a day and half to get to them, so I highly doubt it's been on it's way here for long. I am very disappointed once again. I will be calling them today to get an update. I surely hope they include some candy and my shipping cost in with the knife.

Ya, you tell'em.

Seriously though, two weeks is pretty standard.

Ya, you tell'em.

Seriously though, two weeks is pretty standard.

I have no idea what's considered "standard". I have not had this problem before, however 2 weeks still seems a bit lengthy to ship a replacement... (and it would be 2 weeks if I receive it today).

I've heard Spyderco has good customer service, so I'm sure they will make this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back