Slysz Bowie - for those wondering

Honestly I am not seeing what the big deal is. It's a nice titanium framelock folder, but it's pretty plain and has a very high street price compared to several similar knives. It's not a Sebenza, with that insane production quality and name cachet. Don't get me wrong, I don't even own a Sebenza, and Spyderco is my favorite brand, but I'm not getting the frenzy over this one.

So much of what people ask for in a "dream" Sebenza.

FFG blade
Spydie hole
"medium" size between the small and large
Deep carry clip

I'm not meaning to specifically compare it to a Sebbie, but this folder just trips a lot of tr triggers that people like. I think it's probably more than the sum of it's parts...its the way those parts come together.

Also, per te cutting edge, it's compact for a Spyderco, given that it has no forward choil.

So much of what people ask for in a "dream" Sebenza.

FFG blade
Spydie hole
"medium" size between the small and large
Deep carry clip

I'm not meaning to specifically compare it to a Sebbie, but this folder just trips a lot of tr triggers that people like. I think it's probably more than the sum of it's parts...its the way those parts come together.

Also, per te cutting edge, it's compact for a Spyderco, given that it has no forward choil.

Not sure how many folks want a Spydie hole on a Sebenza, but the only niche I see filled is that medium size that so many long for and will most likely never get. The Sebenza clip is IMO the best clip on any folder period; it's deep enough, very low profile and blends in with most any color pants well, and offers some of the best retention out there. The wire clip is IMO the best Spyderco clip as I really dislike the spoon clip, but I'd never want to see it on a Sebenza. At $200 I'd be all over this one, but for nearly $300 I'd rather have another used Sebenza. Not just for the knife, but for the customer service, knife servicing, and value retention years from now.

Not sure how many folks want a Spydie hole on a Sebenza, but the only niche I see filled is that medium size that so many long for and will most likely never get. The Sebenza clip is IMO the best clip on any folder period; it's deep enough, very low profile and blends in with most any color pants well, and offers some of the best retention out there. The wire clip is IMO the best Spyderco clip as I really dislike the spoon clip, but I'd never want to see it on a Sebenza. At $200 I'd be all over this one, but for nearly $300 I'd rather have another used Sebenza. Not just for the knife, but for the customer service, knife servicing, and value retention years from now.

Apart from the knife servicing ( and possibly the value retention, as we dont know with this model ) all of this is your opinion, just like the things I stated. Just because YOU would rather spend the money on a Sebenza doesn't mean that other people will. For those looking for the features I listed, this knife will be great. You obviously would rather have the features of the Sebenza; nothing wrong with that either. Like I said, it's a very nice Ti frame lock with a list of features that is very popular. I have three sebenzas, including an annual with mammoth bark and Damascus, but I still have one of these on the way.

My Slysz Bowie came and I really like it, but I wouldn't call it perfect.

I must say this is a good thing! The day I find a perfect knife will be a sad day indeed; how will I continue to justify my knife buying habit...
This is why there is no such thing as a Medium Sebenza. I heard the other knife makers have already threatened Chris with expulsion from the Stonecutters if he ever makes one.

A perfect knife...hah. In the meantime this looks like one awesome package and I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Apart from the knife servicing ( and possibly the value retention, as we dont know with this model ) all of this is your opinion, just like the things I stated. Just because YOU would rather spend the money on a Sebenza doesn't mean that other people will. For those looking for the features I listed, this knife will be great. You obviously would rather have the features of the Sebenza; nothing wrong with that either. Like I said, it's a very nice Ti frame lock with a list of features that is very popular. I have three sebenzas, including an annual with mammoth bark and Damascus, but I still have one of these on the way.
And that's why we have internet forums...to state our opinions, hence the use of "IMO".

That being said, this is the only new Spydie I've been looking forward to this year, and will own this knife at some point...and will probably be my only knife purchase for the foreseeable future since I've thinned down to my essential dozen or so. Just not in any kind of rush at the moment.

And that's why we have internet forums...to state our opinions, hence the use of "IMO".

That being said, this is the only new Spydie I've been looking forward to this year, and will own this knife at some point...and will probably be my only knife purchase for the foreseeable future since I've thinned down to my essential dozen or so. Just not in any kind of rush at the moment.

I'm kind of right there with you. This one (Im hoping) may be close enough to perfect that I may not pick anything up in 2015 and just enjoy the ones I have.

I thought that this was gonna be a "day one" buy for me. It's still a must have and STILL envision it to be a *"be all end all"* knife but the price (esp having XHP instead of 204P at $499 MSRP) forced me to hold off for now. Patience often times pays off: Later batches tend to be more ideal, and better prices can be had.

* Slim, perfect carry size, looks great, rounded spine/ Sebenza style jimpimg, grind, clip, and the list goes on... Only gripe is the XHP, great steel but should have been 204P at that price.

I must say this is a good thing! The day I find a perfect knife will be a sad day indeed; how will I continue to justify my knife buying habit...
This is why there is no such thing as a Medium Sebenza. I heard the other knife makers have already threatened Chris with expulsion from the Stonecutters if he ever makes one.

A perfect knife...hah. In the meantime this looks like one awesome package and I can't wait to get my hands on one!

I agree with the poster who advised waiting: The fit and finish might be become better as more are produced. Tolerances? Probably not. Price? Most likely.

Me, I couldn't wait. I paid more to be one of the first, knowing that better was just around the corner for those who wait. Not perfect, just better.

IMG_0989_zps64268c08.jpg

IMG_0991_zps0f5929e8.jpg

Thanks for all those great comparison shots. Really satiated my curiosity.

Mine came in the mail this morning!! First impressions: Perfectly centered, shaving sharp, lock-up just a wee late, no stick. Beautifully constructed. Opens and closes nice and smooth. A satisfying 'thunk' echoes on lockup. I'll probably ditch the wire clip and put a lanyard on it. Never cared too much for the wire clips. I have one gripe: I was hoping for more chamfering along the edges of the Ti, similar to what was done on the Techno. Also, apples to apples against the Techno, the $300 price tag is leaving me wanting a smidgen more. All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase. I paid $286 with two day shipping. I'd do it again. Next up: K2! Chubby! Rubicon!

Back