Small Benchtop Drill press ??

I just picked up a Central Machinery 10 inch, 12 speed press from Harbor Freight, with coupon code came out to about $125 shipped. It's not my main drill press, but if you're on a budget it'll certainly give you some good service. I know plenty of pro makers that use the very same model.

Here is a link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-speed-bench-top-drill-press-44836.html

Here is a comparison shot with my other presses that I just took:

MiniDropTop1-20-2012002.jpg

+1, that's the one I'm using, works pretty well. My only complaint has been that the chuck doesn't go down real small, but unless you're doing folders that isn't an issue.

Try to get one that runs slow, 80-150 rpm is great on tool steel. (depending on bit size of course)

That HF one can be good but the quality really varies, I had to return mine because of excessive runout and the store model was so bad it wasn't funny... on the other hand some of them are great and have no play at all.

I've got two and they are both great. I have had to return some other things but these two drill press have been great. 2 plus years and 1,000s of holes both still going great.

I've got two and they are both great. I have had to return some other things but these two drill press have been great. 2 plus years and 1,000s of holes both still going great.

That's good to hear. Sorry about your bad apple Dan!:(
The one I just set up seems to run pretty darn true. Runout is very minimal. Brian Fellhoelter has a bench with three of 'em on it and his knives are some of the best in the country!!:D

My parents got me a benchtop from Northern hydraulics, and I like it quite a lot. Haven't had trouble with runout, chuck loosening, etc.

The laser that came on it was nice, but isn't working currently (my fault not theirs) and I haven't taken the time to fix it yet.

I think the lasers are a gimmick on a drill press anyway.

On steel, you're going to start with a center punch, then the drill will follow that.

I don't see how a laser will help (especially when not adjusted on center.)

Grizzly makes a benchtop that is a BIG benchtop with a full sized 4" pipe in the back. I have that and love it.

I have a Delta benchtop that I would GLADLY sell for "200 bux". :barf:

I'm very happy with my Delta DP300.:thumbup: That's the funny thing about drill presses, so many differences between different models and such. Maybe I was just lucky ;)

I think the lasers are a gimmick on a drill press anyway.

On steel, you're going to start with a center punch, then the drill will follow that.

I don't see how a laser will help (especially when not adjusted on center.)

Well, the one I have at least, you can adjust the laser beams till they are centered (which I did). And personally, I've never center punched wood. :D

Last edited:
I have a Ryobi 12" model I bought from Home Depot for about $160. It has a variable speed handle on the left side that will adjust speeds from around 500 rpm to 3000 rpm. No need to change belts on the pulley's. It's been a workhorse. I use it for drilling, buffing and sanding.

I have a couple of those really small ones from Harbor Freight. I think they're about $60 each. One is set up to go fast and the other one goes slow.

I have the same one from HF as Johnny's new one. I've had it for about 2 years, and its drilled hundreds of holes without any issues. It's not the most true one in the world, and the fact that I can't use smaller than 3/32" drills in it is annoying, but its not too bad. Plus, I got it with a coupon on one of their parking lot tent sales for something like $60...

I just picked up a Central Machinery 10 inch, 12 speed press from Harbor Freight, with coupon code came out to about $125 shipped. It's not my main drill press, but if you're on a budget it'll certainly give you some good service. I know plenty of pro makers that use the very same model.

Here is a link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-speed-bench-top-drill-press-44836.html

Here is a comparison shot with my other presses that I just took:

MiniDropTop1-20-2012002.jpg

How can everything be so neat?? No dust, no drill chips! WOW!!

How can everything be so neat?? No dust, no drill chips! WOW!!

LOL, that's because I took the photo right after I built that table and mounted the presses!:D I'll get you another shot after my next shop day.........you'll be calling me pig pen after you see it;)

Back