Small cheap fix blade recommendation

corwise

Gold Member
My kids (boys 10 and 12) both want a new knife for Christmas. Last year I got them pocket knives, so was thinking of getting a small fixed blade (three inches or so) for hiking and such. Looking to spend less then $50 per knife, looking for any recommendations as I usually buy customs. Thanks much.

I would take a look at the Condor Compact Kephart and Condor Mayflower fixed blades. The Compact Kephart is a three finger knife. Been carrying it every day since I got it about a month ago and quite pleased with it for regular cutting tasks that don't require a lot of power. The Mayflower is a real nice knife too with a regular sized handle.

IMG_5122ed.jpg
The Mayflower (3" blade) is the middle knife. The wood handled version actually seems to have a better balance.
DSC08944ede.jpg
The Compact Kephart (2.6" blade) is the top knife with the wood handle. The other knife is a Bark River Mini Kephart which has an overall length of 7.5 inches for scale.

The Condor Two Rivers Skinner is another nice knife with a 4.5" blade that might work. Not sure of the price at this point but it should be around $50.

Last edited:
Svord Amerikiwi is a great simple starter knife available in quite a few colors. Simple tough carbon steel. Easy to sharpen, easy to learn to maintain.

Another option would be the KaBar bk14
A few extra $ you can get a handle set, black and orange, give them each a pair, either or or mix and match, but then they can tell theirs apart....
Another $10 or so (x2) gets a metal belt clip for the sheath.
So for about $120 total they can both get a great little kabar knife, with handle scales, and belt clips.

Third option to consider is the Case small leather hunter. Basic but tough stainless, with a more classic look, and a leather sheath.

There's always one of my Grimalkin fixed blades. Cost is only $33.74, was designed to be comfortable without scales or a cord wrap but to be easy to wrap or make scales for, and is 100% USA-made down to the HDPE and gunmetal brass rivets used in the sheath (the HDPE is made in California and the rivets are made in Connecticut.) I carry my personal one daily.

the-grimalkin-utility-bushcraft-knife-3.gif

I'll third the Mora.
I recently bought a replacement Mora No. 1 with carbon steel blade for under $12 shipped. (the original was "borrowed" without my knowledge by one of my brothers nigh on 45 years ago)

If the Mora is too big, perhaps a Rough Ryder "Zombie Nick" neck knife? (I think the total length is around 3 inches)
The nuke green handle does not vanish/blend in if dropped or set down in the leaves or grass.

Last edited:
There's always one of my Grimalkin fixed blades. Cost is only $33.74, was designed to be comfortable without scales or a cord wrap but to be easy to wrap or make scales for, and is 100% USA-made down to the HDPE and gunmetal brass rivets used in the sheath (the HDPE is made in California and the rivets are made in Connecticut.) I carry my personal one daily.

Nice! I think I'll put one of those on my wish list. :thumbsup:

Another suggestion is the Enzo Necker. Made in Finland with Sandvik steel. I have one in birch with "scandi" grind and one in olive with full flat grind.
29W5k4m.jpg

Enzo makes great knives. I have two: Birk 75 and PK70 -
both folders with scandi grind in D2. Excellent knives .
Probably a bit too expensive , the fixed blades for kids.
Rich

I like this utility knife. But I have found that I won't use a knife without handles. It took a few knives to convince me of this.

The Kabar Becker BK-14 is a good knife if handles are added which pushes the price above $50. It sharpens up real nice.

I like this utility knife. But I have found that I won't use a knife without handles. It took a few knives to convince me of this.

The Kabar Becker BK-14 is a good knife if handles are added which pushes the price above $50. It sharpens up real nice.
There's a lot of skeletonized fixed blades that have pretty garbage handle designs. This knife was actually partially inspired as a response to those designs. My personal one just has a cord wrap on it, but the handle will accept standard corby bolts or #10-24 machine screws. The scale kits that will be coming out later will use machine screws and self-clinching fasteners (looks like a round nut with a serrated underside to prevent it from spinning in the hole) and I can supply the hardware if wanting to make your own scales for it. My sales rep with the company that made the rivets we use in the sheaths actually bought 4x of them for himself and a few of his office pals and they're doing a little contest amongst themselves with making their own scales. :D

I'll wait and see what comes about. I don't care for cord wraps as they get dirty. I'm just lazy I guess in this regard.

My kids (boys 10 and 12) both want a new knife for Christmas. Last year I got them pocket knives, so was thinking of getting a small fixed blade (three inches or so) for hiking and such. Looking to spend less then $50 per knife, looking for any recommendations as I usually buy customs. Thanks much.
Anza Knives some models can be had for <$50 and they all come with a nice leather belt-sheath. Those are what I have given to my children as their first fixed blades. A number of the models have deep index grooves to provide a guard, which was a selling point for me. I also have Izulas for them because they really liked the different color options and who needs only one fixed blade? :cool:

Those look like fine knives, FortyTwoBlades is suggesting.

Now, I'm not sure what your boys are like, but I know what I was like at that age. Do you know how many knives I still have from when I was 10-12? I think zero. Lost or broken or my mom found them and "misplaced" them;) I think a mora would do the job.

I would also look at something like the Bucklite Max. Fixed blade and right around 30 bucks with a basic ballistic nylon sheath.

+1 on the Anzas and the Grimalkin. One of the Varusteleka minis might serve as well. I use my little Skrama with a ranger band on the bare frame and a homemade slip, but you can get a sheath and handle scales.

I gave my own grandson the Marttiini Little Classic about four years ago, and I still see him using it a couple of times a month, more than his Opinel 7 or SAK Recruit. Stainless blade and a hard rubber handle. Mora 511 or 611 would work well, too.
Or for a bi more dough, but still under $50, how about the Mora Classic No.1.

Attachments

• 68564822-C0EC-4EA7-ADE6-70FBEEDFD907.jpeg
    68564822-C0EC-4EA7-ADE6-70FBEEDFD907.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3E3D32CD-27AD-4F53-AAC5-8321C0FC5C22.jpeg
    3E3D32CD-27AD-4F53-AAC5-8321C0FC5C22.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 13
I was just about to type up this very suggestion (mini Pendleton hunter).

Other considerations would be a Schrade SCHF55 (3.5 inch blade), a Buck 102 (4 inch blade), or buy the blade of your choice from any of various vendors (I'm partial to the Laurin blades) and have fun putting handles on them with your kids. An A.G. Russel Woods Walker would fit the bill as well.

Back