Small fixed blade recommendation.

I am looking to get a small fixed blade, 3-3.5 inches blade, in a stainless steel with a 90 degree spine that I would be able to carry on my backpack shoulder strap while hiking and for very light duties at camp. I would also want this to carry at night when walking my dog as a last resort against coyotes!

I am for some reason very drawn to the Blue Glow G10 handles with orange liners and am looking at the LT Wright small workhorse, maverick scout, and next gen. I have also looked at BRKT essential 2, and bravo EDC.

Does anybody have any of these knives for light carry and or any other knives I should be looking at? Thanks in advance!!

You might want to look at some Bob Dozier knives. Plenty of his models might fit your needs. Great knives coming out of the Dozier shop. Well designed sheaths too.
I have one BRKT, a Bosnian Skinner, but have checked out many others. The Bosnian Skinner is very well done but bigger then what you are looking to carry. It's one of my favorite fixed blades. All of the other Bark River blades I've checked out have been good users too.
I have a small LT Wright (not sure of the model) with a 2.5" blade in the same style as the Bosnian Skinner and it's a real nice knife. Great blade geometry, quite the slicer.
Based on my two, I'd say you won't go wrong with BRKT or LT Wright.

Last edited:
Now that you're out here, I can make some other recommendations.
Carothers Performance Knives (CPK) EDC
It is not inexpensive; but it's well worth the price (IMO)
Bradford Guardian 3 - probably half the price of the CPK; but an outstanding option nonetheless. I very much prefer the 3d scale options; but many like the original "flat" ones.
Spyderco Mule - i think the are still a few steel options left; if not, they pop up on the secondary market. They don't come with handle scales, unfortunately; but there are a few good options for made to fit.
Don't forget our knifemakers - some great stuff being offered all the time.
I'll throw up a few pictures in a little bit - have to take my pup out first (priorities!)

Another option is having one of the many talented custom makers here on BF make you one. It'll be exactly what you want, how you want it. The hardest part will be picking one of the many great custom knife makers here.

IMO, the BRKT essential is over-priced for what it is, at least compared to other options, even within their own lineup. The mini Kephart is quite nice, though it doesn't have the 90-degree spine.

LT Wright should have some good options for you now that he is using AEB-L steel. I really like his coyote design, which is available again at DLT Trading at least, but it's not stainless. The small workhorse looks good as well. I like the bigger handles of the next gen, but for hiking it can be a big package.

The 90 degree spine will be a big the limiter on options unless you're willing to have one added for you.

Another option is having one of the many talented custom makers here on BF make you one. It'll be exactly what you want, how you want it. The hardest part will be picking one of the many great custom knife makers here.

This is probably your best option if you're willing to wait a little.

To name a few...White River Backpacker Pro or their Small Game knife
Various Arno Bernard, LT Wright and, Dozier models
Condor Mayflower

There are lots of knives in this size area. Lots.

The 90 degree spine thing is seldom even mentioned in the specs.

Bradford Guardian 3 or 3.5 were my first thoughts as well. Quite a few options and styles available.

Food for thought. I'd consider pepper spray and/or bear spray too. I've heard/read bear spray/pepper can be effective against coyotes and other animals (including humans of course). A good spray can shoot 20+ feet and give you a buffer zone. BUT you have to be careful if your dog is at the end of a leash and barking/straining toward an intruder.

h78TZbd.jpg

CPK EDC, Dozier Arkansas Toothpick, Bark River Gunny (I ground off the thumb ramp), Bark River Mini Fox River, Bark River Bravo EDC, Spyderco Mule in Halpern scales, Bradford Guardian 3 in 3d scales, LT Wright Patriot.

And, an assortment from the Knifemakers here
s3lvO8T.jpg

(sorry, no blue glow handles)

h78TZbd.jpg

CPK EDC, Dozier Arkansas Toothpick, Bark River Gunny (I ground off the thumb ramp), Bark River Mini Fox River, Bark River Bravo EDC, Spyderco Mule in Halpern scales, Bradford Guardian 3 in 3d scales, LT Wright Patriot.

And, an assortment from the Knifemakers here
s3lvO8T.jpg

(sorry, no blue glow handles)

Dang ya got that pic up fast my friend!

Don't fail to look at the LT Wright Small Northern Hunter, a small knife that thinks it's a big one. The Next Gen is superb as well.

A little smaller than you spec'd, but the Mora Eldris has a 90° spine and great ergos with a surprisingly hand-filling grip. Put a 1" split ring through the holes in the bottom of the sheath and you can hang it anywhere with a Nite Ize carabiner.

Roselli Carpenter might fit your criteria. Comes with a cheap, thin leather sheath with an excellent plastic insert -- I cut the sheath apart and used it as a pattern to make a better sheath out of thicker latigo saddle leather and kept the insert.

Reactions: vba
First thoughts were Guardian 3 and 3.5, or the new ESEE 3 in S35VN (with ESEE's no-questions-asked lifetime warranty).
Custom is always an option, too.

Reactions: vba
Dang ya got that pic up fast my friend!
I was going out to take the picture when I found it... happened to have a knife handy to open the package; so I did. :thumbsup:

Who made that top custom?
It's pretty sweet. I like it. A lot. As in, I hope their books are open.
That knife has been, by far, my most carried fixed blade since I got it. Maker is @Willie71

Last edited:
First thoughts were Guardian 3 and 3.5, or the new ESEE 3 in S35VN (with ESEE's no-questions-asked lifetime warranty).
Custom is always an option, too.
Some here always seem to mention the ESEE warranty. Well.... I have been using knives for many years and never broke one that I wasn't beating on with a sledge hammer or hatchet. I don't care about their warranty. It is hard to even break one with a sledge hammer..... (tip sure....)

Some here always seem to mention the ESEE warranty. Well.... I have been using knives for many years and never broke one that I wasn't beating on with a sledge hammer or hatchet. I don't care about their warranty. It is hard to even break one with a sledge hammer..... (tip sure....)

If you snap the tip off drilling a hole for a bow drill, or prying on something, it's nice to have. Honestly, I think most people are more likely to have a handle screw come loose and fall out in the woods, or a sheath break, or have a scale crack than they are to snap the blade in half. I wouldn't make the decision to buy based solely on the warranty, but it's a differentiator, especially if you're comparing an ESEE to a KA-BAR or Ontario Knife Co. (which are essentially the same knives).

Back