Small fixed blades - underrated and underutilized for edc.

Had a small companion knife that was a free mini version of a knife i bought. It has been in a junk draw for years.

I started using it opening those hard plastic shrink wrap type packaging and it became over time my main knife for packaging.

Not much love ever shown here for small fixed blades compared to folders for general purpose edc.

I stopped carrying a pocket clip folder and now carry a horizontal belt carry small fixed. It totally works so much better for every application I have tried and you don't need a mechanical engineering degree to do maintenance.

Show some love for the small fixed blades.

Last edited:
I carry a Tops Little Bugger around fairly regularly for whittling, or a BK 21 if I am going to run into bigger chores in yard work or building things. The 2 things that come to mind when I start picking up a fixed EDC for the day are how good the sheathe is going to handle the days plans and that concealing a fixed blade of any size is a felony where I live and needs to be avoided. Horizontal belt carry could get covered by my shirt and I don't want the hassle, so I make dangling sheathes to hang them nice and low.

If I'm not on my way to work, at work, or on my way home from work, I've almost always got a fixed blade on (or with) me. Usually the blade is 4", or under; but I make exceptions for a few knives (ie my Busse Urban Grudge LE).
That said, I don't see it as an either/or thing. I also carry a modern folder and a traditional.

FyseO4z.jpg

ziMM8AN.jpg

cqHzcqR.jpg

Fixed blades seem to be underrepresented on BF as a whole. In some sections here the knife being spoken about is universally implied to be a folder, and that’s a shame.

Folders have their place and use, but fixed blades are what I’m passionate about. Been saying it for years - if it ain’t fixed, what is it? :D

One of my favorite EDCs:

E634739-F-38-B6-4910-9351-026-C76-D3-CDD0.jpg

A play on words for an old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems appropriate, "if it is fixed, don't break it." I prefer fixed blades, especially small ones that can be used for EDC, but I also use folders. As mentioned above, it does not have to be an either/ or thing. For me it is about can the small fixed blade offer enough traction, a good size grip, and be carried conveniently? With good design and heat treat being givens.

Last edited:
What is the middle one called and who makes it? What is the purpose of spike on top of the handle?

Thanks.
That's a DPX GEAR HEST ASSAULT II. IT'S A PRY BAR ON THE HANDLE AND WORX REALLY WELL! oooppss caps lock sorry. Anyway great knives, this model is niolox steel. There are a few.different generations. Some in 1095, niolox and sleipner too. They pop up on the secondary market often, not sure if any are still sitting on store shelves but I'd imagine there'd be some!

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_034939.jpg
    IMG_20200215_034939.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 13
Large fixed blades make sense.
Small fixed blades not so much.

A small fixed blade that has a 4" handle and 3.5" blade still equals a 7.5" knife hanging on my side.
But I can carry a folder with a 4" handle and a 3.5" blade that equals a 4" knife on my side.

The only reason that I would carry a small fixed blade is for cutting up disgusting or bloody or stinky stuff, just because it's easier to clean.
But most frame-locks are very easy to clean as well.

Large fixed blades make sense.
Small fixed blades not so much.

A small fixed blade that has a 4" handle and 3.5" blade still equals a 7.5" knife hanging on my side.
But I can carry a folder with a 4" handle and a 3.5" blade that equals a 4" knife on my side.

The only reason that I would carry a small fixed blade is for cutting up disgusting or bloody or stinky stuff, just because it's easier to clean.
But most frame-locks are very easy to clean as well.

If you only see the small fixed blade hanging on your side, that explains your view. My fixed blades don't hang on my side. A proper sheath is just as important as the knife and opens up a whole different world of edc!!

Since joining here and reading the discussions on regular carrying of a fixed blade, I have tried from time to time. It was a bit of a novelty for me. I felt uncomfortable with the knife visible on my belt and I knew I didn't want neck or pocket carry. Last year Condor came out with a knife they called the Compact Kephart. I got one around the end of October 2019. Tried carrying it daily and it has worked for me. It has been paired with a Vic Small Tinker most often.

People say.... the handle has to be 4 inches..... need a full grip.... I felt the same way until I started carrying this little ~2.5" blade Compact Kephart (~5.5" OAL). I came to the conclusion that for me, the full grip is not necessary for a light duty fixed blade and the same applies to a folder. Light duty is 95%+ of the cutting I do with any knife. This little Condor knife has been on my belt just about every day for about 4 months now. I started looking at other small fixed blades, not out of need, but because I like knives. Picked up a little Arno Bernard Squirrel and like it too. But once I get accustomed to carrying a specific knife, it is hard for me to switch knives unless it is task specific. I have other small fixed blades and just seldom ever used them prior to the little Condor. That is likely to change and I will introduce some variety.

Last edited:
Back