small footprint hard use 6" edc fixed.... whats out there?

Last Visible Canary

actively parsing hurf durf
P1180679_zpscktqfryj.jpg

So lets say I wanted to replace this knife with something else, because this knife isn't an option. The rules of this scavenger hunt are these:
-6" blade length
-small foot print (meaning I'm trying to avoid a 6" long 4" tall rectangle on my hip)
-As close to completely choiless as possible
-Non tactical/military/fighting/scary-to-sheeples looking if at all possible
-Preferably with a finger guard
-Thick and heavy enough to (lightly) chop/pry/baton with (all wood/camp type requirements)

Thus far the only candidate I've found is the Kellam ranger puuko:
JPM95.jpg

All of these requirements boil down to a few things, this is my 'when no one else brings any wood working tools' knife that I'd have on me at all times. Because 'all times' really does mean everywhere, it ideally needs to be as small and efficient as possible while looking people friendly (or as friendly as it can). The choiless requirement is because I have personally gotten plastic sheeting, burlap, netting, tangled string and fabric caught in various sizes of choils, they serve no benefit for me personally and present problems all while taking away usable edge.

Last edited:
Both the kabar and glock would fit if they didn't look sooo military at a glance:
1211Detail_1.png

nuz2.jpg

and the zt0100 is awesome, but it looks more aggressive than I'd like, but more importantly it takes up a big footprint for it's size.
zt0100_1.jpg

All three of them have a top swedge to increase tip penetration, which actually hinders what I want to use this for. I'd much prefer a tip that has a flat top to maintain strength when being struck with a wooden baton.

I know I'm being a picky brat, but there are at least 2 knives in existence that fit what I want (the BOSS jack above and the ranger puuko), I'm hoping there are more...

For me the carry system is a big factor in footprint. Kydex with as little kydex as possible.

wilderness_explorer_cpm_cru_wear_glow_in_the_dark_pinecone_ksf_359_95__65090.1434765987.1280.1280.jpg

if I could get this, the bark river wilderness explorer in a non-cpm steel, and in .20-.25 thickness it would be perfect.... though to expensive =/

Do you have a price and blade steel (carbon vs stainless) in mind? That would help us a lot:)

For that price range, I would go hunt around on knivesshipfree for a Bark River in A2 steel. Lots of options for blade length/style and handle material.

Or have a Custom knife made.

Take a look at JK Knives. He has a special going on now, but the models will be changing soon, so you will have a few choices.
Keep in mind, you could always have him make you the knife you want, if you don't find anything digging through his catalog on his site.

Ideally an A1 blank from Fallkniven would be great for u I think, if one could be found. As long as you stay away from a black handle and blade most any knife would suit. Stainless or carbon isn't a factor in batoning, so I'd go stainless . Bark river makes a lot of classy looking knives. Have a look around the exchange as most of the knives for sale are in excellent condition. You could save some money and rehandle a used knife and make it truly yours. Good luck

I'm still trying to come up with a reason to get the Buck 124. But anyway check that out, the blade looks indestructable, noone that I know takes buck serious beyond being a serious tool, and the sheath for bucks make their knives as inconspicuous as a fixed blade could possibly get.

Mora 731 (5.75"), 748 (5.75" Stainless), Classic #3 (5.875") for under $25 ...
morakniv-731-red-black-fixed-thumb.jpg
morakniv-748-blue-black-fixed-thumb.jpg
mora-of-sweden-morakniv-fixed-classic-red-no-3-thumb.jpg

Most of my favored options are in 3V and cost closer to $250. In that territory, there's a few possibilities.

Something from Survive! Knives might work for you. They're a small company, so it can be hard to find their knives, though.

I'm also going to wander slightly off target, and recommend the ESEE 5. It's 1" short of you goal, but with all the other things it offers, (and ESEE's warranty), you may find that it's worth a try....

Something from Survive! Knives might work for you. They're a small company, so it can be hard to find their knives, though.

I'm also going to wander slightly off target, and recommend the ESEE 5. It's 1" short of you goal, but with all the other things it offers, (and ESEE's warranty), you may find that it's worth a try....
Survive gso or brkt. Another option would a Bradford guardian 6 but it might be too tactical looking

Back