Small generator to run 2x72??

In an apartment currently with a garage. The garage is wired poorly. Gfci and my grinder trips it as soon as I turn it on. (Northridge pro)

I replaced the outlet with a standard one also from a 15a to a 20a but then it trips the garage next to mine.

I refuse to give up grinding and I can’t find a garage or shop to rent near me, found a couple one is $1800 a month. Anyways.

Anyone have experience with generators? Or running a 1.5 or 2 hp electric motor with a vfd off of one? I have no knowledge of generators whatsoever.
Ideally on the quieter side. Appreciate any and all help

Hi, I have the same problem. My garage has a GFCI outlet too and it wants to trip every time I grind. Huge pain in the butt.

That said, KB makes a model of drive that is GFCI comparable... I don't have one, but I have heard that they make one. It might be worth giving them a call, they might exchange the one you have...

I have a Honda 3000, and I love it. Pricey but it punches above its weight class and is incredibly quiet and reliable.

I have a 2000W Honda. I’ll plug it into my Black Fox w/ VFD tomorrow morning and see what happens. I’m 99% sure it will run fine.

Hi, I have the same problem. My garage has a GFCI outlet too and it wants to trip every time I grind. Huge pain in the butt.

That said, KB makes a model of drive that is GFCI comparable... I don't have one, but I have heard that they make one. It might be worth giving them a call, they might exchange the one you have...

Appreciate that but not sure they will let me exchange it. I can afford to buy a new Vfd but rather not if I can avoid it ha

I have a 2000W Honda. I’ll plug it into my Black Fox w/ VFD tomorrow morning and see what happens. I’m 99% sure it will run fine.

I appreciate it! Thank you, if you could lean into it with the flat platen I would be doubly grateful

The Honda EU3000is 2800 watts 110 volts. The motor is a motor Honda designed many years ago. It was put in a popular ATV as well. They just run forever.

You can peak it over 3000 watts. It can also be run in ECO mode to make it quiet for long term use under less loads.

I am no electrician, so take my advice with only a pinch and of salt.

I have no idea if it would work for your specific application.

I’ve run my 3/4 hp Rikon 1x30 plus a bunch of other stuff off my Champion 3400 and it doesn’t break a sweat.

I’d be more worried about sound than power. Even a quiet generator is pretty damn loud in an apartment setting. Dealing with gas, propane and engine hours oil change and maintenance will also be a huge pain for regular use.

Id be looking at one of those big Jackery or Yeti battery inverter systems. Power it off your mains power and use it to power the grinder. Cheaper than a generator to buy, no maintenance or fuel costs and dead silent.

So, I run a couple of grinders up at my off-grid cabin, where I'm moving to full-time soon. I'm staying off-grid. Some of my larger equipment will be run off generators until I can produce enough of my own renewable electricity and have a large enough battery bank. (Plan is to have 200+ kWH of lithium ultimately, and I've got 3 industrial inverters that can produce 230V 3ph service when slaved together). All this to say, I know a little bit about running stuff on non-standard electrical sources.

Here's the issue with running off a small generator: Most of them have GFCI receptacles on them now. Plus, you still need to ground the frames, they're usually neutral bonded to the frame itself here in the US.

The exception to this rule, often are any generators that offer 220V output. In my case, I run most of my smaller shop equipment at the moment, including the belt grinders, a 220V inverter 200a Mig welder, a small plasma cutter, etc, off a Champion 6500w peak (5000w continuous) open frame inverter generator, this has a 220V turn-lock style 4-wire circuit and receptacle that isn't GFCI, but does have a breaker, although it also has 120V standard recepts, which are both GFCI as well.

Now as others have mentioned, noise is gonna be a problem for you if you buy anything less than a closed frame inverter gen. You could get one, a 2000w champion/honda/yamaha/etc and replace the gfci, but make sure you ground the generator properly if you're going to do that, and know that it'll void your warranty. As far as that goes, Champion has been exceptionally good at warranty stuff from everyone I know that owns them. You also can't run the generator in a closed garage, they pump out massive amounts of Co2 and you'll die, it'll have to be outside and I'm guessing your neighbors aren't gonna be happy with you.

If you try to run off a "battery generator" be aware that many of them have inverters that can't handle big the current spikes of the VFDs with induction motors, and you'll need a very expensive and large unit to run the grinder any period of time. However, you may be able to actually utilize one that allows charging and discharging at the same time, have it plugged into that GFCI recept you've got to charge it, and it'll handle the discharge, so your net power loss would only be the difference in the battery charge rate, vs the discharge to your grinder.

Bear in mind you're looking at something in the order of 1,500watts give or take, for the motor at full speed plus overhead for VFD, inverter, etc. That means you need roughly 1.5kWh of storage for every hour of run time. At 12v nominal (as many batteries are configured), thats 125 Amp hour capacity, bare minimum, per hour, and that's assuming 100% DoD for the cells, which is usually detrimental, even to lithium chemistries, with lead acid, any discharge below 50% damages the batteries permanently depleting capacity and cycle life. With most lithium chemistries, you want to be no higher than the 90% DoD range to maintain cycle life, which means you really need more than 125Ah per hour. Lithium battery capacities in retail/commercial products currently run around $800 per 100Ah, which equates to about $666 per kilowatt hour of storage (kWH) I'm sure you can see the point I'm trying to demonstrate here, you'd come out miles ahead finding a house to rent instead, or talk to your landlord and ask them about a dedicated circuit.

On the other hand, if you're really electrically inclined and capable, you can build lithium battery packs from surplus and salvage sources, in the neighborhood of $100 per kWh of storage.

You could also try adjusting the CL trim pot in the VFD (current limit) down. You're tripping the breaker in the other garage because you don't have a dedicated circuit, and don't have enough actual current available with whatever else is running on it. It'll limit your torque ultimately, making your grinder easier to stall, but it may work well enough to get by.

I had a couple of jobs at work that needed small blowers running at variable speed through VFDs from portable generators. The first one used a HuanYang VFD (one of the cheap Chinese ones off eBay) because it was the only VFD I have ever got to work on a simple generator. None of the big-name Western drives I have tried would work with the “dirty” generator output. The first job was accessible with a 4x4 truck and it wasn’t a problem getting the generator there. The second was half-a-mile from vehicle access and needed a smaller generator and VFD. That got a 1kW inverter generator with Pure Sine Wave output, which had no trouble running a little Schneider VFD. If you are going to be buying a generator and intend to use a VFD with it, make sure you test whether or not they’ll play nice together before committing your hard-earned.

I had a couple of jobs at work that needed small blowers running at variable speed through VFDs from portable generators. The first one used a HuanYang VFD (one of the cheap Chinese ones off eBay) because it was the only VFD I have ever got to work on a simple generator. None of the big-name Western drives I have tried would work with the “dirty” generator output. The first job was accessible with a 4x4 truck and it wasn’t a problem getting the generator there. The second was half-a-mile from vehicle access and needed a smaller generator and VFD. That got a 1kW inverter generator with Pure Sine Wave output, which had no trouble running a little Schneider VFD. If you are going to be buying a generator and intend to use a VFD with it, make sure you test whether or not they’ll play nice together before committing your hard-earned.

Good point Tim, yeah, many generators don't output a good sine wave, like many power inverters as well. It's important for any sensitive electronics to have a clean waveform, some simply wont run without, others can be damaged. Most of the inverter generators however do output "pure" or "true" sine waveform electricity though.

I'd do an extension cord from a good outlet.

Do you have an electric dryer hookup ?

Unplug the fridge for a couple of hours ?
Fridges are code to be on their own non gfi circuit.

I did the generator test for you this morning. It worked surprisingly well under different loads on my Honda eu2000. I made a video of the entire experiment. DM me your number and I’ll send you the video.

The inverter generators output a nice enough sine-wave to run sensitive electronics: it's one of their selling points. VFDs are sensitive electronics.

Inverter generators tend to be expensive, usually quite small, and not at all necessary for things that don't involve electronics.

Something like a 2kW suitcase inverter generator should be ok with a 2 HP motor on a VFD, but you'll want to try it first. We used a Honda EU10I for the Schneider VFD, which I think was probably 0.4 kw, 1/2 HP. An EU20i should handle the bigger unit, but I don't know what the US versions are like in terms of their output Voltage. I assume they'll mostly be 110V and you need 220V?

A small, cheap generator with a standard alternator seems very unlikely to run your Northridge grinder, assuming it has a western VFD. I have not tried running a KBAC on a generator, so if you have one, it's worth giving KB a call and asking. In fact it's worth checking with the VFD manufacturer, whatever drive you are using.

The suitcase inverter units are able to reduce their speed at part-load, which can help to keep the noise level down, so going for a bigger unit might help to keep the speed and noise at neighbor-friendly levels in normal use. Conventional alternators need to run at constant speed to maintain output frequency.

Back