Small Kukri ID

I ran across this small kukri at a secondhand shop today. Blade was maybe 9” .

I was hoping someone here could tell me if this a decent piece or a flea market knockoff.

the handle was acrylic with no exposed tang.

5e5aUBM.jpg

b2S8u8y.jpg

KfcQXFp.jpg

My Kukri knowledge is quite limited. If it is a ‘real’ Kukri, what would think is a fair price to offer. It did have the sheath but the store owner didn’t take it out of the case.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I am not a expert, but I'd bet the handle was horn, rather than acrylic.
It looks to me to be a "tourist" khuk, but not badly made.

Serious collectors will be able to help, I'm sure.

I am not a expert, but I'd bet the handle was horn, rather than acrylic.
It looks to me to be a "tourist" khuk, but not badly made.

Serious collectors will be able to help, I'm sure.

Thanks. I didn’t even think of horn :rolleyes:. Apparently I know less than I thought I did. :p

I also think it looks like horn. How much were they wanting for it?

$60.

The store is fair with the prices on other items but this one, I had to bring here before pulling the trigger.

I figured this sub forum would be the place to ask so, even though it isn’t a HI. Thanks again.

It looks legit to me. If it were a tourist piece, it would probably have fancy junk added, like a carved lion head on the butt, or other useless adornments. Horn handle for sure. If it fits your hand well, and the weight feels good, and if you like it, I'd guess that $70 or less would be a good price. If you have a real use for the blade, like frequent camping or a lot of shrubbery to cut, then $90 or less would be a good price. That's just my opinion, of course.

If you bought a similar blade online it would probably cost more, and shipping would run $15 or higher, depending on where it was shipped from. If you compare it with a western style knife of similar size and quality that can also give you an idea of how much you want to spend on it.

I posted this before I saw that the asking price is $60. Seems like a good deal to me, especially since you don't have to pay shipping.

Agree with Kis about the handle material.

Looked around a bit for kukri with brass inlay, and a pattern of 3 circles/balls on the blade. Came up empty.

The shape is nice, and the grind seems even.
Cho is rather rough, as is the stamping. The glue shouldn't be leaking out from under the bolster (though that might just be unpolished forge scale).

What really bugs me, though, is the fact that, on the right side (2nd and 3rd pics), the ricasso looks like it was ground/cast almost into the cho. This is not a khuk that I would use for chopping. YMMV.

Joe

I'd hold out for an HI daily deal. You can get something similar for nearly the same money and know what your getting.

It looks a lot like an older type HI villager.. About 14 years ago of a bunch of one-offs and experiments went up. This looks like something from those or maybe a villager from around that time. Villagers back then were often more like blems that were caught early rather than the village finish I see now. Except it looks like the handle was polished, and all the horn handled villagers I saw back then were unpolished horn.

The closed cho was really a big deal back then. I have a few blades which have something in common with this. I also have one with three circular holes where the cho would be in a triangle like that has engraved at the end. The kind of rough bolster looks a real lot like one I have here. And the brass inlay looks like a BAS villager I have. If this had posted here back then, it would have been gone in a minute.

Just realized that the blade geometry kind of reminds me of my Shop 1.

Interesting. Shop 1 was before my time. They had the old frogs, didn't they?

Interesting. Shop 1 was before my time. They had the old frogs, didn't they?

Shop 1 was before my time as well. I picked mine up off the Individual sale forum when I was active here back then. Mine is a WWII. The frog is riveted instead of stitched and doesn't have the laces on the front. It isn't split though like a BAS.

The more I look at this and compare it to chitlangis and sirupatis, the more I'm starting to want it...

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup: I'm going to pass on it. Maybe if a full size comes around I'll get one. I really have no use for one that small and don't need any more stuff I won't use.

Thanks for the closure, sir.

No more stuff? You're over 50, then...?

Hey now! Over 50 doesn't mean you can't accumulate superfluous or unnecessary stuff, some of which are for avocations which you will never pursue or others which you are sure will make you appear rugged and virile. We're 'mericans, darn it, we darned near invented over-abundance! Look in any garage, man. We got us stuff!

Hey now! Over 50 doesn't mean you can't accumulate superfluous or unnecessary stuff, some of which are for avocations which you will never pursue or others which you are sure will make you appear rugged and virile. We're 'mericans, darn it, we darned near invented over-abundance! Look in any garage, man. We got us stuff!

Guess how many self storage places were in 'merica before 1960.

That's right. None. ;)

The post war thriving and spending on excess and the thinking that your stuff made you who you were created the need for places to store your excess stuff.

Now they're all over and the there are TV shows dedicated to them.

I like the stuff I have and there are days where I want to accumulate more stuff thinking it will make me eternally happy but, there's that one stupid question that comes to mind every time, "do you really need that".

I can't tell you how many times I've walked around a store for 15 minutes with something in my hand or my shopping cart only to put it away because I knew it will just collect dust in my house.

What would you know about being over 50, boy??

Don't give me your attitude, Young Man; I'll have you know that I was over 50 last century--you know, back when people still talked fondly of black Bakelite Western Electric phones which weighed 5 pounds and could not break, no matter many times they got pulled off the table they rested upon. When you could dial "O" and a person would come on the line and try to help you--without any additional charge.
BEFORE there were "Apps" to further enslave people to their expensive little telecommunication shackles.

Although I never pursued it, I pondered writing new lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Woman," with opening lines of lyrics which go:
"They'll phone you when you're walking down the street. They'll phone you when you're trying to be elite. They'll phone you when you want to be alone. EVERYBODY's got to be phoned."

muttermuttermutter, grrrrrrrr...

Back