Small Lightweight Stainless Fixed Blade for Fishing, Hunting, Backpacking

I'm in the market for a good small stainless fixed blade for fishing, hunting, and fast long-distance backpacking. A lightweight blade in the 3" range would be perfect. Right now I'm looking at the Benchmade Steep Country, but I don't really know what other options are out there. Something similar in size and price would be perfect (~$100).

I need something low maintenance, preferably that won't need much sharpening but can be touched up quickly when necessary. Minimizing pack weight and how much stuff I have to carry is priority #1 (pounds=pain is my philosophy, no saw, no hatchet, and my TOPS BOB is staying home for these trips). I probably won't wear it around my neck, but I don't want it visible for anti-knife hippie reasons so it needs to fit in an easily accessible pants, jacket, or backpack pocket depending on the situation. I currently have a stainless Izula but found it getting dull too quickly with all the sand/grit that got stuck in the sheath the last time I was out. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

The White River Knife and Tool M1 Backpacker is your knife. This is hands-down the best small fixed blade I've ever seen. The sheath and clip are entirely usable, the fit and finish is incredible (polished and radiused finger choil!?!?), and the newest ones are in S35VN.

You can get one with a Paracord handle for $90, with somewhat blocky G10 scales for $115, and with contoured micarta scales for $150.

These knives are almost criminally undervalued.

One that I love is my Real Steel Pointman. It is 3.5 inch blade, but carries well and feels great in my hand. Worth looking at. 14C28N is a great steel as well, holds a good edge and very easy to sharpen. I liked this blades so much I got a backup. Good price too.

ok, I know this is a bit bigger than requested, but it's so good that it deserves a look, and it's just under 6oz - Mora Garberg - great sandvik 14c28n and it's only $80, 9" overall 4.25" blade, and the sheath is very tiny compared to others, can be pocketed. The size is so much nicer in many hiking/fishing situations imho.
Morakniv-Garberg-Multi-Mount-Sheath-M-12642-BHQ-49577-jr-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
The White River Knife and Tool M1 Backpacker is your knife. This is hands-down the best small fixed blade I've ever seen. The sheath and clip are entirely usable, the fit and finish is incredible (polished and radiused finger choil!?!?), and the newest ones are in S35VN.

You can get one with a Paracord handle for $90, with somewhat blocky G10 scales for $115, and with contoured micarta scales for $150.

These knives are almost criminally undervalued.
Thanks! I might snag the pro version when they are back in stock. The FireCraft 3.5 looks pretty nice too, although a bit a obtuse.

I have the Becker BK-14 and BK-24 (not stainless). I like the 14 but I never could get the D2 version as sharp as I would like it. I also use a little Blackjack 155 (Neck knife) (with handles) which is sized about the same in 154CM. I like it, but you need to be careful how you hold the knife as the edge is very close to the handle. The other ones that I like are a couple Doziers that have about a 3" blade, but they generally are in D2 not a stainless (and above your budget). I have a Dozier Personal with a sheepsfoot blade made in CPM 154. I like it a lot. So, yeah, these little fixed blades appeal to me as long as the handle is long enough.

Daniel Fairly ti backpacker. /thread

Buck 877 Maverick
3 5/8" stone washed 420HC blade.
Buck uses the BOS Heat Treat on all their blades, so it is done right.
Sheath can be worn on the belt, or you can take the belt loop off and use it as a neck knife.

Light and low cost - mora. Get one in non tactical color, very low fear factor.

I have thought of replacements for my Izulu 2, one that caught my eye is the Bradford guardian 3.5. I love the Izulu handle. One problem with small fixed blade knives is the handle most are too small or awkward to me. The 3.5 handle looks really similar to the Izulu 2, has great m390 steel, 4 ounces, low “Visual impact” horizontal sheath, just one problem - price. I have seen it below list but over your number. Do not have one yet, but can see picking one up.

A different take, that i do have, is the lionsteel m4, very nice small knife, m390, super sharp, light weight, but about 150.

Sounds like your issue is with the sheath. Do you think sand and grit won't have an effect on another knife?

Back