Small Lightweight Stainless Fixed Blade for Fishing, Hunting, Backpacking

Sounds like your issue is with the sheath. Do you think sand and grit won't have an effect on another knife?
I was thinking about that. The Izula sheath is soft plastic, so sand/grit really gets wedged in there. I think Kydex and leather would be better. I was still honestly surprised by how much and how quickly it dulled the Izula though--while it takes a keen edge pretty easily, it feels like it's a bit on the soft side. I'm suspecting a harder blade would fare better.

You, sir are looking for a Bradford Guardian 3.
I have thought of replacements for my Izulu 2, one that caught my eye is the Bradford guardian 3.5. ...
(emphasis added)
Like these two folks said, Bradford Guardians are highly recommended whenever a small fixed blade is asked for. However, the 3 and 3.5 will bust your budget. I love my Guardian 3 in m390, and it is on my hip if I am hiking or camping. I also EDCed it for over a year, with very good results. It sharpens easily and keeps a working edge through a lot. I am thinking I will eventually replace it with a 3.5 for the changes in the grip, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

AG Russell Hunter Scalpel.
For a much lower cost alternative, the Hunter Scalpel, Woodswalker, or a War Eagle Pocket Skinner are acceptable, but will require more sharpening than a blade in M390. They are also a bit lighter, I believe, if you are counting ounces.

Light and low cost - mora. Get one in non tactical color, very low fear factor.
Of course a Mora in orange (or something else visible) is also a great budget choice, and you can go small with the Eldris if you want something small for a bit more than the standard mora.

Enjoy and good luck.

Based on your requirements my first, second, third and fourth thoughts are all Moras for some reason.

One of my favorite light and small fixed blades right now is the Cold Steel Mini Pendleton. If you have big hands it could be too small, but it's been a pleasure to use when I've carried it and it's light enough that it would neck carry easily.

The White River Knife and Tool M1 Backpacker is your knife. This is hands-down the best small fixed blade I've ever seen. The sheath and clip are entirely usable, the fit and finish is incredible (polished and radiused finger choil!?!?), and the newest ones are in S35VN.

You can get one with a Paracord handle for $90, with somewhat blocky G10 scales for $115, and with contoured micarta scales for $150.

These knives are almost criminally undervalued.

I don't need another small fixed blade but now I think I may have to order one of these. If I do, I'm blaming you . . .

The White River Knife and Tool M1 Backpacker is your knife. This is hands-down the best small fixed blade I've ever seen. The sheath and clip are entirely usable, the fit and finish is incredible (polished and radiused finger choil!?!?), and the newest ones are in S35VN.

You can get one with a Paracord handle for $90, with somewhat blocky G10 scales for $115, and with contoured micarta scales for $150.

These knives are almost criminally undervalued.

Thanks for reminding me want one of these, life has been so insane the last two years I saw it at Blade, was going to order one when I could, then got so busy I forgot they exist...

The Benchmade Puukko 200 that is being released in the next couple months is intriguing to me for this purpose. 3V steel and only a $120 or so sounds like a good choice. I’ve also considered the White River Knife in the past but never pulled the trigger.

I don't need another small fixed blade but now I think I may have to order one of these. If I do, I'm blaming you . . .

Thanks for reminding me want one of these, life has been so insane the last two years I saw it at Blade, was going to order one when I could, then got so busy I forgot they exist...

I can't explain how much I love this little knife. @White River knocks this one out of the park. The sheath is outstanding, which is so rare in a factory fixed blade. It's minimalist kydex and has a positive, if somewhat squishy 'click.' The edge doesn't contact the kydex at all, and it's exceptionally well shaped without any extraneous bulky material. It is sufficiently slim that the sheath can be carried in the front pocket of a pair of khaki pants comfortably.

The blade has a lovely light stonewash over a mirror polish, and all the edges are neatly dehorned, but the radiusing on the finger choil and sharpening notch are simply perfect. The edge is very keen. The knife is very ergonomic, although the grip is perhaps too slim for heavy duty work, but that's because my version is a paracord wrap knife. The ones with G10 and micarta scales are probably better for this.

Interestingly, although this is an ultralight backpacking/camp/caping fixed blade knife, it would also be a serious competitor for the Spyderco Street Beat as well, with a similar deep finger choil and compact size. Spyderco's old micarta scales were nicer, but White River's S30V or S35VN is an upgrade over the Street Beat's VG10.

At $90 shipped, this was the best value knife purchase of recent memory for me. It's competitive with the ESEE Izula II while being an upgrade, and has outstanding fit and finish on par with or better than Bradford.

I'm probably going to order one of these down the road a bit, but not a paracord model. I really dislike paracord wraps. To me, a paracord wrap is what you do with a knife with no handle that for whatever reason is uncomfortable to use as is. I have a couple like this that I doubt I will ever use.

Added: Just ordered a White River Backpacker Pro with an orange G-10 handle. I don't own any fixed blades with an orange handle. So, this will be a change.
Here is a pic from the web site I ordered from.upload_2018-8-13_17-45-56.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice! There are lots of good recommendations here, and I'm glad that I posted. The White River Backpacker Pro and Bradford Guardian 3 and 3.5 appeal the most to me, and as luck would have it I found a used Guardian 3 in M390 for about $100 shipped on eBay. I'm going to have to do some backpacking/fishing when it gets here from Canada to test it out!

Last edited:
I carry a Tops Bird & Trout knife on all my canoe/kayak camping trips. Stout enough to take a little abuse and still has a thin enough edge to slice well. (440C blade)
P1170387.jpg

The Bradford is a good choice and I like M390 steel. Hope all goes well with the fleabay purchase. I'm waiting on delivery of my new White River Backpacker Pro. Should be delivered tomorrow or Thursday. I'm looking forward to trying this one out and it might become my casual woods walking blade if I like it. I don't do any backpacking other than to hike to a camp site that isn't far away.

Cold Steel makes a knife called the Bird and Game with a 3.5 inch blade and the Bird and trout with a 2.25 inch blade. Both of these knives are under 2 oz and come in way under budget. The loop on the handle allows you to hold the knife when tying knots while fishing or doing other activities. I have no personal experience with either of the knives.

Back