Small Lightweight Stainless Fixed Blade for Fishing, Hunting, Backpacking

I'm probably going to order one of these down the road a bit, but not a paracord model. I really dislike paracord wraps. To me, a paracord wrap is what you do with a knife with no handle that for whatever reason is uncomfortable to use as is. I have a couple like this that I doubt I will ever use.

Added: Just ordered a White River Backpacker Pro with an orange G-10 handle. I don't own any fixed blades with an orange handle. So, this will be a change.
Here is a pic from the web site I ordered from.View attachment 965149
Received the orange G10 White River Backpacker Pro today. I'm pleased. The seller stated it was S30V and it says S35VN on the blade. Just thought I would mention that as for some it might make the difference between buying or not. This knife is going to get used as opposed to many fixed blades that just get parked. Fit and finish is excellent. Comes in a wood box which is a nice touch!

I think this one is going to eliminate any thoughts of using the Becker BK-14 or BK-24. Really nice blade and the sheath is very functional.

Madcap_Magician, you're one hell of a salesman! (corrected my spelling of your handle.)

Last edited:
Received the orange G10 White River Backpacker Pro today. I'm pleased. The seller stated it was S30V and it says S35VN on the blade. Just thought I would mention that as for some it might make the difference between buying or not. This knife is going to get used as opposed to many fixed blades that just get parked. Fit and finish is excellent. Comes in a wood box which is a nice touch!

I think this one is going to eliminate any thoughts of using the Becker BK-14 or BK-24. Really nice blade and the sheath is very functional.

Madcap_Musician, you're one hell of a salesman!

The Backpacker is really nice, I definitely want one, and am thinking orange myself. Robert Pelton turned me on to White River as they make a couple of his DPx knives. I quit carrying a 24 a while back when I finally got my Tibo made in CPM S35VN the way I wanted it to start with 6 years ago, which is my favorite all around steel, and with Joe Snarski scales on it. This way on those days when I am so exhausted from producing content for 4 different publishing companies, three different website, R&D, consulting, and design work, while being a single dad and a single granddad that I forget my own name, I have it handily hanging around my neck like a name tag :D Speaking of Ethan (from a post in another thread I am about to respond to next ) Ethan's 11 played a role in the design of the Tibo design years ago, so I gave him #R0001 (the very first one) as a gift to say thanks for the friendship.

20180815_121259.jpg

Madcap_Musician, you're one hell of a salesman!

Yes, even my paracord Backpacker came in an outstanding cardboard box with all the items packed in custom-fit closed-cell foam padding. I'd really like one of the Caper variants with sculpted micarta at some point, too.

I really like the drainage hole in the sheath. Too many sheath makers don't put the effort into having the drain hole at the very bottom of the sheath, which leaves a little pocket where moisture can collect.

I think @White River is moving to all S35VN across their product lines, so what you get may depend on whether the dealer had new stock or new old stock when shipping.

I just have to say this is just one damn nice little knife! I prefer S35VN, but that was not why I ordered it. Now I have to use the sucker!

I just have to say this is just one damn nice little knife! I prefer S35VN, but that was not why I ordered it. Now I have to use the sucker!

I want one to attach to the strap of my back pack that stays in the truck and leave it there. I think it is the perfect size for that and for hiking uses. From my experiences White River does a wonderful job on their heat treats and their F&F, lots to like with them.

I have got to the point that I carry a Mora for Camping/Firecraft/Backpacking. If it's a short trip and I don't have much ground to cover I bring a larger knife (Becker BK-7 or a Tops). I always have a folding saw too. I really like the 511 but the Companion or one of the Craftlines would work fine. They come in a "stainless" variant but from my testing (I have a YouTube channel where I test knives) I have settled on the Carbon versions as the "stainless" ones aren't that "stainless" and the carbon ones seem to hold an edge a bit longer.

They are very light, come very sharp, cost $10-$20, and are essentially disposable.

Not to derail, but quick question for you White River aficionados... what is the actual difference between the Backpacker and Caper? Seem to be same blade steel, same shape, same size... is it the fact that the backpacker can come paracord wrapped? Because both have scales now. Not sure I get the reasoning behind having both knives for sale unless I missed something.

Not to derail, but quick question for you White River aficionados... what is the actual difference between the Backpacker and Caper? Seem to be same blade steel, same shape, same size... is it the fact that the backpacker can come paracord wrapped? Because both have scales now. Not sure I get the reasoning behind having both knives for sale unless I missed something.

It's literally the same knife.

The Backpacker has a paracord handle wrap and is about $90. Probably this way to minimize weight, bulk, and price.

The Backpacker Pro has beveled G10 handles and is about $115. These are also S35VN. I think the Backpacker and Caper are transitioning to S35VN from S30V, but I think all Backpacker Pros have always been S35VN, so that was an upgrade as well for a while.

The Caper is a Backpacker with contoured micarta handles.

It's literally the same knife.

The Backpacker has a paracord handle wrap and is about $90. Probably this way to minimize weight, bulk, and price.

The Backpacker Pro has beveled G10 handles and is about $115. These are also S35VN. I think the Backpacker and Caper are transitioning to S35VN from S30V, but I think all Backpacker Pros have always been S35VN, so that was an upgrade as well for a while.

The Caper is a Backpacker with contoured micarta handles.
Yeah. Just took another look. Caper takes another jump beyond the Backpacker Pro to $150. Guessing extra F&F with the shape of the micarta handles and styles available (just noticed the caper has pinned scales vs backpacker's removable too). Also looks like the Caper is stonewashed vs. the plain finish of the Backpacker. hmmm...

I wonder if there is a difference in the blade grind (edge)? When I ordered my Pro the listing said 2-3 weeks.... but it also said "in stock". So, I ordered and they shipped it the same day. Now I believe my orange one is out of stock again.

Now that I have it, I'm trying to see the differences relative to the Izula II. 440C or 1095..... vs S35VN. Handles. Little bit more of a guard too perhaps....

I wonder if there is a difference in the blade grind (edge)? When I ordered my Pro the listing said 2-3 weeks.... but it also said "in stock". So, I ordered and they shipped it the same day. Now I believe my orange one is out of stock again.

Now that I have it, I'm trying to see the differences relative to the Izula II. 440C or 1095..... vs S35VN. Handles. Little bit more of a guard too perhaps....

Very similar knives. The White River is a smidge bigger. In terms of construction the Backpacker Pro is the closest. The White River has better fit and finish and S35VN vs. 1095. And it costs about $35 more, but they're inexpensive enough that I would consider them comparable.

In tips on blades and knives, I'm not a pro yet. By the way, I just recently began to study this topic and read with interest the messages above.

But I can give advice on (сamping) hatchets. The first one I bought for myself was Schrade SCAXE2G stainless steel. We went through a lot. I liked that cause it's light, the handle is made from fiberglass and rubber and feels firm and smooth to the touch. It is curved, with circular embeddings that boost grip and a knob at the end to keep your hand from slipping. The combination of rubber and fiberglass blocks all forms of vibration from reaching your hand, ensuring your comfort.

But just recently, I found my new love for $ 60. It's Schrade SCAXE5 - best tactical hatchet I think. It’s multifunctional and will serve you well in most emergency situations. While I use it not as long as the past. Maybe later I can write more about this. By the way, I bought it, believing the reviews on the Internet. Very strange, but I have never regretted it. Ordered on Amazon.

Last edited:
Oh, there’s probably no one here. I did not notice that this thread is from 2018, sorry...
A common observation, especially with new members/posters who might be doing a lot of searching on particular knives or topics. I don't have much use for hatchets overall and dislike tactical hatchets/tomahawks. About the only time I use a hatchet, axe and so forth is car camping where I can generally bring along a wide assortment of cutting tools for the fun of it. Hope you enjoy your Schrade SCAXE5.

Since this thread, I have moved to choosing Kephart type knives for the woods. The Backpacker Pro is still a good all around knife to carry in the woods. It would take a lot to break it.

One that I love is my Real Steel Pointman. It is 3.5 inch blade, but carries well and feels great in my hand. Worth looking at. 14C28N is a great steel as well, holds a good edge and very easy to sharpen. I liked this blades so much I got a backup. Good price too.

I just picked up my first knife from Real Steel. I got the smaller Receptor, which has a 2.75" blade. I'm impressed so far. Fit and finish is very good. It's comfortable in hand. The blade shape is nice and it cuts well. It squeaks in just under the $50 mark too. I'll be curious to see how their 9Cr18Mov does over time. My experiences with Civivi in 9Cr18Mov have been very positive. Done correctly, it seems on par with 14C28N.

For a super budget option, it's hard to beat a Morakniv. I don't love the sheath but for less than twenty bucks, the quality is mind-blowing. I think 12C27 is another decent steel for the money.

I think the OP wants something a little fancier though. A Bradford Guardian in the right size would certainly do.

mora 090 - 3.5" perfection for a small fishing/camp/hunting - nothing even comes close to this quality for the price, and the handle is superb
timthumb.php

A bold statement. o_O

Back