Recommendation? Small makers doing high-end production

Most of the knives in my collection are in the $100-250 range, but I own a large inlaid CRK which in some ways kicks the ass of every other knife in my collection. So I'm thinking about picking up another class act in this price range (~$400-600) this year, and examining my options. I think there's a growing number of smaller shops doing "high end production" work in that price range these days, so I'm making a list of them.

The list, with [thanks] added:
  • CRK
  • Millit, including:
    • G&G Hawk midtechs
    • Gavko midtechs
  • Koenig
  • Ferrum Forge
  • Les George
  • Gerry McGinnis
  • Nick Chuprin (NCC)
  • David Brown
  • Brad Southard
  • Three Sisters Forge [thanks whp]
  • Olamic [thanks spysmasher]
  • Spartan [thanks spysmasher]
  • Medford [thanks scooterg]
  • Hoback [thanks scooterg]
  • Shirogorov [thanks northernsouthpaw]
  • Andre de Villiers (w/ customer service caveat) [thanks fishiker]
  • Elishewitz (midtechs) [thanks fastone052]
  • William Henry [thanks brownshoe]
  • Reate, including: [thanks tyyreaun]
    • Todd Begg Steelcraft
    • Liong Mah (some models)
  • Michael Zieba [thanks emjay4248]
Above my price range:
  • Diskin
  • Demko [thanks scooterg]
  • Curtiss [thanks scooterg]
  • Chaves [thanks fullmetaljackass]
  • Grimsmo [thanks northernsouthpaw]
  • Sharp by Design (Brian Nadeau) [thanks archvv]
  • Rockstead [thanks marcus52ar]
  • Gavko [thanks shannonsteellabs]
  • Thorburn [thanks mfm22]
Below my price range:
  • North Arm [thanks miso2]
Who can add to this list? I will update this post with [thanks] as people reply.

Note that I'm not talking about "brands" or mostly outsourced "mid-techs" where we have no idea who the maker is. I'm talking about small makers.

Update: I'm not going to list "Instagram makers" unless they have dealers, or serious independent critical reviews out there, or at least someone with a reputation vouching for them being actually high-end and not just high-priced. Instagram is a hodgepodge of professional gems and amateur trash, so I don't want to look like I'm endorsing anything unless there's a reason to.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
How about Olamic? Also Spartan? I'm not entirely familiar with either operation but I think they might qualify.

What do you think of "Instagram shops"? Plenty of small time makers on there, several with designs that have caught my eye, but I'm not sure about quality.

He meant Holt
Can anyone vouch for them being high-end and not just pricey? Nice looking designs anyway.
What do you think of "Instagram shops"? Plenty of small time makers on there, several with designs that have caught my eye, but I'm not sure about quality.
For me it boils down to there being serious reviews, critical discussion, or at least someone with a reputation vouching for them.

Last edited:
Demko, Medford, Hoback, Morrishmade (last is “custom-ish”).

I do. They’re well made and very stout. Not a huge fan of the pocket clip. The one I have is not going to be the best at slicing with a .25” blade. He’s making slimmer version now if I recall.

Can anyone vouch for them being high-end and not just pricey? Nice looking designs anyway.

For me it boils down to there being serious reviews, critical discussion, or at least someone with a reputation vouching for them.

I can vouch for Holt. I have one of their Specter model with me and it is a great knife. The ordering process and communication was also top notch too. I am willing to answer any questions on the knife if you are interested. I am trying to upload a video on it soon since I noticed there is not much out there on the knife.

A lot of talented makers putting out custom blades in your price range.
A lot of the stuff in this forum looks amazing, of course. But the number of custom makers out there seems endless, many customs are terrible, the reputation system on bladeforums is pretty weak, the effort needed to navigate this field is substantial, and even people who try to navigate it seem to be frequently burned. I think it's not for me, unless I'm going to spend $1k+ on the work of someone well-known, which I'm not. Hence why I'm asking about makers who are unabashedly "production".

Last edited:
William Henry and LionSteel have both won quality awards at the Blade Show like CRK.

Back