Small Simple Fire

I had a free Saturday afternoon. Which has been rare lately. Even more rare was the fact that it wasn’t snowing or raining.

Some fire prep,
i-T9G6rdZ-XL.jpg

Some feathers, some shavings from the spine,
i-364J2KD-XL.jpg

I’s been extremely wet here. Between the snow and the rain. So I decided to hedge my bets and add a little birch bark to catch some sparks.
i-z3wtqBs-XL.jpg

I scraped a little off the fire rod on top of the pile before I went for the spark. It took off fairly fast.

Fast enough, that I felt compelled to get Brian’s knife out of harm’s way immediately after this shot.
i-ShX7F9P-XL.jpg

Nothing overly technical or challenging. But it’s a comforting feeling, knowing you can get a fire going in wet conditions, with just a knife and a ferro rod.

Adding more fuel,
i-89z2877-XL.jpg

Sometimes it takes the simple low stress things to recharge my batteries.

Do you know the species of tree you used for fuel? Seems deciduous from here.

I seem to have more success in the wet season of Spring with non pine and fir trees, even if they have high pitch content like Ponderosa Pine or Douglas Fir.

Nice pictures - thanks for sharing.

Do you know the species of tree you used for fuel? Seems deciduous from here.

I seem to have more success in the wet season of Spring with non pine and fir trees, even if they have high pitch content like Ponderosa Pine or Douglas Fir.

Nice pictures - thanks for sharing.

I don’t have a ton of evergreen trees available in my immediate AOR. Some but not many.

The primary tree species here are Hard Maple, Beech, and Cherry. Poplar and Soft Maple are also prevelant.

In looking back at the fire. I’d say a combo of some Beech, Hard Maple and Cherry. Mostly sourced from what I find on the ground and hanging in the trees. Knowing where I was, the area is heavy with these trees.

Back