Small Spyderco carry question

Hello all,

I’ve always been a traditional knife guy, but I’m thinking of giving Spyderco a go. That being said, I’ve never really warmed up to pocket clips, and I was wondering if a Dragonfly or Manbug was safe to carry in your pocket with keys and change and such. I was concerned that keys might tangled up with the Spydiehole and pull the blade open in my pocket. Any thoughts or experiences with this are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Spydercos lockbacks are very solid. Theres always a chance having too much stuff in your pockets could accidently deploy it in your pocket, but truthfully I cant even see that happening. Carried a manbug/ladybug for a bit and never had an issue

Get a Dragonfly and don’t look back. The lockback design has a VERY similar pull to a traditional, with the ease of one handed opening using the Spydie hole.

I carry a zdp189 manbug for daily cutting chores, put a small lanyard on it and it's loose in my pocket, never notice it's there.
The lanyard makes it easy to find and fish out of my pocket when it's needed

My Wife’s daily Manbug user for the past five years; she’s never had it open up unless she opens it herself...

92C56E5A-ACB2-4A4E-A4FF-6B7D646D4CD8.jpeg

I have the H1 yellow dragonfly and the wire pocket clip holds the knife really firmly in my jeans pocket. I have extra large hands and I find the dragonfly easier to open than my PM2 or Delica

Most pants have more than one pocket. It's easy to dedicate one to your knife. A dragonfly fits nicely into a watch/coin pocket.

Unlike others here, I have had keys open a Ladybug (and a Manbug as well) in my pocket. It hasn't happened with a Dragonfly, but I no longer carry one loose in my pocket or dangling on my keys.

Been carrying my G10 DFly clip less since I got it, and absolutely love it. I don’t typically carry it in the same pocket as keys and change though.

If I didn't like big knives with pocket clips, I would definitely go with the Manbug in the watch pocket.
I don't carry knives at the bottom of my pocket. I hate pocket lint, and sand in the pivot area.
I almost closed an Endura; with a full spider edge; on my hand, due to pocket lint jammed in the lockback.

I've been thinking about getting a GitD Ladybug to put on my keychain (I have a Bug type - a Honeybee I think - on it now), but the possibility of it opening up worries me. I know I can tighten the pivot to reduce that chance, but still...

I found a nice leather pouch I think was for a nail clipper or tool that mine resides in now. I sure do love cargo pants too.

Never had any problems with mine. I kept a Bug series on my keys for a while until I had to give it up to get into a 6 Flags. Also had a clipless Tasman Salt for a long time. That one stays in my watch pocket when I carry it but I've thrown it in my car, my duffle, and it's been in a washing machine more times than I can count. Never opened when I didn't want it to.

I was wondering if a Dragonfly or Manbug was safe to carry in your pocket with keys and change and such.

I think you'll be good. I'm sitting here with a Dragonfly and a Ladybug, and they both want to self-close up to about 30 degrees from fully closed. The Dragonfly comes with a clip, but I removed it and carry it in the bottom of a pocket. It's really a sweet size for a smaller knife. For those times when you absolutely want a tiny knife, the Ladybug is perfectly good for most utilitarian jobs.

I've been thinking about getting a GitD Ladybug to put on my keychain (I have a Bug type - a Honeybee I think - on it now), but the possibility of it opening up worries me. I know I can tighten the pivot to reduce that chance, but still...
I don't know how that could physically happen. Maybe if you had a flexible key. You can see the key here in relation to the hole and even if you were trying to tie a headphone knot it seems pretty unlikely.

MlArE9q.jpg

Even with the keys on a different ring and with a bottle opener that'll reach the hole never had it happen.

PrP97UE.jpg

Yes it does appear that I have at least 3 bottle openers on the keys.

I carry a Roadie on my keys. I have carried Manbugs, and Dragonflies wtihout the clip, dropped down in my pocket without issue. But it is in my non-keys pocket. There is no way a Roadie is going to open on my keyring, though.

Back