Smaller knives, tantos and rooster spurs

I like making big knives, but of course make small ones too. It's actually more difficult for me to make a 4" blade than a 12" blade. Here are some littler ones that recently left the shop for new homes. All are 80CrV2 steel with marine epoxy-impregnated wraps.

Two tantos. The long, slim one has an 8 7/8" long blade. The little kwaiken is a 4" blade, 4" handle, with hemp cord for the underlay on the wrap and paracord on top.

tantos01 by James Helm, on Flickr

And two rooster spurs. The top one has a 5 1/2" blade, the bottom a 4" like the original. Both have fully sharpened top edges. This was a his-and-hers set, hence the pink camo cord on the bottom one. :D

clippoints by James Helm, on Flickr

I like making big knives, but of course make small ones too. It's actually more difficult for me to make a 4" blade than a 12" blade. Here are some littler ones that recently left the shop for new homes. All are 80CrV2 steel with marine epoxy-impregnated wraps.

Two tantos. The long, slim one has an 8 7/8" long blade. The little kwaiken is a 4" blade, 4" handle, with hemp cord for the underlay on the wrap and paracord on top.

tantos01 by James Helm, on Flickr

And two rooster spurs. The top one has a 5 1/2" blade, the bottom a 4" like the original. Both have fully sharpened top edges. This was a his-and-hers set, hence the pink camo cord on the bottom one. :D

clippoints by James Helm, on Flickr

Is that what those little knives are called? Rooster spurrs? Or is that just your name for them? I find knives of that style to be ideal little combat/utility knives.

Thanks, guys!

Lapedog - It's my name (I suppose possibly a model name). In building it and invisioning its usage, it just struck me that it was a lot like a rooster spur. I might go with a Spanish name (which I think is "espuela") as a nod to both Ed Calderon's influence in little bits I've picked up from him, as well as the bit of Spanish Navaja influence.

Joe & Dudley - Y'all are gonna kill me! :D Shoot me an e-mail at helmforge@gmail.com, please. :)

Back