Smallest SAK with a magnifying glass?

I'm just a stubborn particular kind of person, so I don't see the swiss card as a " swiss army knife ", and anything below 84mm like the classic...ect is a form of traditional lobster pattern and not a " swiss army knife ".
I think that the 58mm Classic is Victorinox’s largest seller by a wide margin.

I think that the 58mm Classic is Victorinox’s largest seller by a wide margin.
And it's great, but the term " swiss army knife " doesn't really fit a small lobster pattern pocket knife designed for keychain carry.
Neither does it fit the swiss card, and of the model with only a knife blade or two, nor does it fit the swisstools.

None of what I'm saying matters or means anything to anyone but myself though, and it seems that I have inadvertently derailed this thread.

Last edited:
The 58mm Classic was designed by Carl Elsener Sr., who became Victorinox CEO in 1950. It went into production in 1952 and was awarded a U.S. patent in 1955. The Classic and its variants pay the rent for the rest of Victorinox's knife business.

Victorinox's current CEO, Carl Elsener Jr., was interviewed in 2016 while visiting the U.S. to open the Victorinox store in Rockefeller Center. He carries his keys, a 58mm Signature Lite, and a Climber on a long chain. He doesn't like pocket clips and the heavy Climber anchors the chain and keeps it in his pocket. He said the Signature Lite is a good pen (I agree) and that its pen light is handy for writing at night, something I hadn't thought of. He carries a Traveler Lite in his other pocket. He enjoys hiking in Switzerland, and the Traveler's altimeter is useful up in the mountains.

Interview and photographs here:

https://everydaycarry.com/posts/15903/interview-carl-elsener-global-ceo-of-victorinox

Victorinox's military knives are its advertising knives. If the knife is a good one, soldiers want to buy another when they leave military service. That business model has served Victorinox well in its core markets Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, and South Africa. Victorinox could never have survived on military contracts. Karl Elsener I figured that out in 1897.

Back