Smallish fixed blade do-it-all knife

Hello everyone,

I've been kicking around the forums here for a couple of years looking at this and that, but this will be my first real post! I hope you can forgive any hiccups or mistakes but I'll try to keep everything in order.

As the title says, I'm in the market for what I would consider a smallish fixed blade to use as part of my EDC. I am a university student so this will likely be my only knife purchase for quite a while. Such a sad thought isn't it? But because of this I would like something that can handle pretty much anything I might come across. From cutting threads off of clothes, to kitchen tasks, to self defence to even some light camping duties if I'm lucky enough to get out into nature this summer.

Now I know this is quite a range of tasks, so perhaps some parameters would help.

I live up in Canada so there are no laws about blade length to contend with, but in Canada no person can carry with them any item that is intended to be used as a weapon, even in self defence. So pretty much anything tactical in appearance is out of the question.

As for the blade, I am looking for something around 3.75-4.25 inches long. Either carbon or stainless steel is fine as I can maintain either. I prefer larger folders so I am used to that size, and I figure I could do pretty much anything within reason with that much blade. Im not a big fan of serrations as I've just never found them to be very useful.

I also contend with some mild CP symptoms that make traction a little bit of a concern. Nothing major, but I am a big fan of good secure grip designs as a result.Thumb ramps or gimping, maybe a small finger guard, those sorts of things. Just in case.

Last thing I suppose I should mention is price range, because that can make a big difference in suggestions.
I don't really have one in mind, but I am a believer in buying the best that a person can afford and am more interested in getting the best design and materials I can as apposed to something more budget oriented. That said, let's cap the price at about $300 for now.

Thank you all very much for any suggestions you may have. I have been doing my own research but it is always better to hear from real world users.

Last edited:
The Compact Tool from JK Handmade, maker on this forum, might work for you. John would likely work with you to change the blade shape a little if you wanted more finger protection. He also has a couple other knives with taller blades that already provide more protection. He is great to work with & can also work to your design if you like.

If I had $300 I would check out screech owl knives. Haven't tried one yet, but they look amazing and use quality materials. Otherwise, my favorite small blade is either an izula (probably too small) or becker bk14. Either way, you will want a custom sheath and micarta scales.

I got you covered.

[video=youtube;2pItmgwVXHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pItmgwVXHI[/video]

Hello everyone,

I've been kicking around the forums here for a couple of years looking at this and that, but this will be my first real post! I hope you can forgive any hiccups or mistakes but I'll try to keep everything in order.

As the title says, I'm in the market for what I would consider a smallish fixed blade to use as part of my EDC. I am a university student so this will likely be my only knife purchase for quite a while. Such a sad thought isn't it? But because of this I would like something that can handle pretty much anything I might come across. From cutting threads off of clothes, to kitchen tasks, to self defence to even some light camping duties if I'm lucky enough to get out into nature this summer.

Now I know this is quite a range of tasks, so perhaps some parameters would help.

I live up in Canada so there are no laws about blade length to contend with, but in Canada no person can carry with them any item that is intended to be used as a weapon, even in self defence. So pretty much anything tactical in appearance is out of the question.

As for the blade, I am looking for something around 3.75-4.25 inches long. Either carbon or stainless steel is fine as I can maintain either. I prefer larger folders so I am used to that size, and I figure I could do pretty much anything within reason with that much blade. Im not a big fan of serrations as I've just never found them to be very useful.

I also contend with some mild CP symptoms that make traction a little bit of a concern. Nothing major, but I am a big fan of good secure grip designs as a result.Thumb ramps or gimping, maybe a small finger guard, those sorts of things. Just in case.

Last thing I suppose I should mention is price range, because that can make a big difference in suggestions.
I don't really have one in mind, but I am a believer in buying the best that a person can afford and am more interested in getting the best design and materials I can as apposed to something more budget oriented. That said, let's cap the price at about $300 for now.

Thank you all very much for any suggestions you may have. I have been doing my own research but it is always better to hear from real world users.

Hey Halador, fellow Canuck, a bit West.
Tactical is fine... you just can't say it's for defence... It's not.
If you like, send me an e-mail...
I'm early retired because of a bike wreck...
I have some info re: self defence you may be interested in...
Welcome by the way!

Quickly, from your description of 'needs,' I'd recommend a look at the DPx HEST and HEFT lines. Very rugged, quality knives with the 'tactical' aspect downplayed. I have several.

Alternatives would be the Bradfords and Enzo Bernards. Both high-quality, very nice knives of which you would be proud.

The least expensive I can recommend, another goto of mine, is a Gryphon M-10....you mentioned comfort in the handle---the M-10 has the most comfortable, secure factory grip of any knife I own.

I like Buck knives, so I'll mention the Buck 192 Vanguard. They have wood and rubber handle models. Also, Buck makes an Alaskan Guide Series with S30V steel and Titanium-nitride coating for one of the larger outfitter stores. I believe that would keep you way under budget and more money for beer. Well, that's where I spent my money in college.

This is a Screech Owl Knives Critter. I make them from CPM 154 Stainless steel. Its overall length is 6.75" with a 3" Blade. You can customize the handle with a variety of materials and colors. I think this would be a great option for an EDC fixed blade and it would fall within your budget. Very useful little knife!
12967336_887126391398547_4515170716248136067_o.jpg

Wow. Thank you everyone! I had no idea that after just one day I would have so many excellent replies.

I definitely just added a few blades to my ever growing wish list.

I'll be looking into a number of these to see what's what. Knife research is the best kind of homework, isn't it?

In the mean time, keep them coming. Never too much of a good thing as far as these are concerned.

At the $100 mark there's the Perrin Le Bowie XL. The blade length is right at your maximum. While guardless (Fred thinks they snag on things) there's more than enough purchase to keep your fingers off the blade. It's also got jimping topside. I've not handled one but I own the smaller version and it's absolutely secure in the hand. Good steel, and of all Perrin's mid-techs the bowies are the only ones that are V-ground instead of chisel-ground.

Some great choices on this page alone and as others have suggested - look on our own BladeForums exchange - either the custom sales by individuals selling on the 2ndary market or go right to the knife makers themselves. In one or 2 days you'll be overwhelmed with options :thumbup:

Some very nice ones in both of these sub forums as I write :D

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you everyone! I had no idea that after just one day I would have so many excellent replies.

I definitely just added a few blades to my ever growing wish list.

I'll be looking into a number of these to see what's what. Knife research is the best kind of homework, isn't it?

In the mean time, keep them coming. Never too much of a good thing as far as these are concerned.

:cool: You are displaying symptoms. Be very careful. You can still...turn....around.

I'd recommend giving some thought to what kind of grind that you want on a knife. I like hollow grinds for hunting and meat but vastly prefer flat or thin convex grinds for EDC. I'd also give some thought to what sort of blade shape you want. I strongly dislike pronounced clip points for general purpose use (they don't spread peanut butter well) but can live with very shallow clips (e.g. Opinel) or drop points.

I'm a huge fan of traditional knives. I find they produce less "social friction". Given your CP, I suspect you'll be able to use a fixed blade in times and places where others would not as easily. Still, I would favor traditional looking knives that tend to look more like a kitchen knife, as they'll be more familiar looking.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for sub-4" drop point with a flat grind, finger guard and natural handle like stacked leather (very grippy with SnowSeal or similar) or wood.

You guys are great, you know? Just in this short time I've seen makers that hadn't been on my radar before. And I'll definitely be trolling the sub forums from now on, even if it is just to pine for some of them. ;)

pinnah, thank you for mentioning the grinds, I hadn't really thought that at this blade size they would make too much difference, so that's a very good point.
Speaking of, clip points might not be the most practical for every job but it's hard to argue that one like Charlie Mike's Persian up there sure is a looker. But you are probably right, a shallow drop point might be the way to go. Luckily that still leaves me with some really excellent options.

And I think it's too late for me EChoil, it got me. Tell my family I loved them!

Last edited:
Here you go, GEC h20 in 1095 with canvas micarta scales and you'll have 250 bucks to bluw on something else.

Back