Smallish fixed blade do-it-all knife

Canadian? You ought to seriously consider a Canadian made Grohmann. I'd suggest their No. 2 Trout and Bird. It's an outstanding knife.

Grohmann%2520D.H%25232%2520Bird%2520%2526%2520Trout.JPG

You guys are great, you know? ......And I think it's too late for me EChoil, it got me. Tell my family I loved them!

Did that. The wife broke off with the basketball guy and the kids have scurvy. They send their thoughts.....

So what are you going to get?

Over the last few days I've seen many recommendations that have been truly excellent. Thanks to those, I think I now have a much better idea of what I should be looking for. Although I still have yet to decide on one particular knife, I will take the advice to get in touch with a maker from the forum and see if we can work something out. It's always good to support one of our own, right?

This will be partially financed by an upcoming birthday of mine so it may be a little while before I actually have anything in my hand, but once I do I will be sure to post it up here for everyone. Try my hand at doing a review perhaps.

In the mean time anyone who would like to keep posting these great pictures and suggestions is more than encouraged to do so. Anyone down the line who has a similar question to mine will love a thread like this. I know I always do.

I have the slight feeling that you might be overthinking this a little... but we all do to some extent, otherwise we wouldn't be members of Bladeforums, right? As a few members already suggested... I think that $300 for a smallish do it all knife... could be a little over the top.
I haven't seen Bark River suggested so.. there you go, a few more options to choose from.

Check into Dave Wenger here on BF. He ran an on sale not too long ago with, I believe, 5 of his knives all in your parameters & at a super price. His knives are work horses & he is a great guy to deal with. Good luck how ever you go

Ill second Mikel's Bark river suggestion. Something like Kalahari Bushman has a nice grip with plenty if finger protection, and can be had in myriad beautiful handle materials for under $200US.(its a bit small at 3.25" blade, but you could also look at BRKs Bravo series, with excellent gimping and thumb ramps) One of the many many handles youll find for the BR.
BRK--7746__19167.1442522943.1280.1280.jpg

The Chris Reeves Nyala is another option I havenet seen mentioned but worth a look. built in S35VN, comes in a drop point or CRK's Insingo (modified wharncliffe) bade shape.
Insingo:
va.jpg

The benefi to tboth of these knives is.....NO WAITING. I love custom knives. I hate waiting.

...can be had in myriad beautiful handle materials for under $200US..
My thoughts exactly Maven, thanks for pointing it out. With so many choices for the handle, and as long as you stay away from solid black or green colors, paired with non coated blades... nothing will scream tactical or self defense.

...The Chris Reeves Nyala..
Not a huge fan of having undersized scales over the tang. Waaaaay too much metal sticking out. Seems like it could dig into your hands if you exert too much force on it. Doesn't the handle look a tad thin as well?

KW Benchmade 710 in m390. The KW version looks less tactical, offers a slightly better grip and comes with a more corrosion resistant m390 steel blade compared to the regular 710.

My thoughts exactly Maven, thanks for pointing it out. With so many choices for the handle, and as long as you stay away from solid black or green colors, paired with non coated blades... nothing will scream tactical or self defense.
Yup,a knife like laying on the dinner table wouldnt raise a single eyebrow in most places. Other than an admiring look

Not a huge fan of having undersized scales over the tang. Waaaaay too much metal sticking out. Seems like it could dig into your hands if you exert too much force on it. Doesn't the handle look a tad thin as well?
What little time Ive had one in my hand it actually felt kind of "rounded"(not broomstick mind you, but not flat slabs). the blade didnt feel obtrusive or seem like it would create hot spots in an EDC role. And of course you could make your own scales for a custom grip/look or easily replace them if damaged something you cant do on a chemically bonded knife. One other thing to consider if one looks to tinker.

Being a college student, I assume your budget is very tight. No reason to budget $300. Seriously.

The new Mora Eldris is $25 or less. Just released so will be hard to find.

1478_6a6bacac.jpg

Pic from Mora's website

My favorite small fixed blade is an Ahti puukko gifted to me. The Tikka. These can be had for $35 or less.

Ahti%2520Tikka.JPG

Last edited:
Izula is the best for a small fixed blade. The candiru is just to small. Maybe if it had a tiny sheath for pocket only carry. But I just dont see the point in taking the candiru out IWB as its handle is almost the same size as the izula and you get way more utility out of the izula.

ukjzYYa.jpg

I like my Malanika puukko. carry it every day, and it will stand up to anything I throw at it. extremely comfortable and controllable in hand. my favorite knife in my collection.

0ef14cf3ecbfe79661d038c3225473d1.jpg

Closer to the top of the size range given, one of my favs is the ZT0180 with 4.2" blade. Rock solid and holds great edge.

4ka3i0.jpg

mtto0.jpg

Last edited:
The Grohmann shown above is a great idea! Also, I love the Buck Vanguard, but the Buck 102 is smaller and lighter.

Joe

Blade HQ has a Fallkniven jarl in its sale/closeout section more than a hundred bucks off its regular pricing. It's a beautiful knife that fits in your wheelhouse if it appeals to you.

Back