SMALLS (Traditionals only)

redsparrow

Gold Member
A couple weeks ago I began a household project that needed a sharp knife to open a bunch of packages containing parts. At the start of the project I happened to have this 3 inch 70 year old Pal in my pocket so that's what I began using.

QYnDsuv.jpg

I figured I get another "more useful" (read larger) knife whenever I took a break but I never needed anything larger. That little Pal sliced each package like a precision scalpel and I had only used the small blade.

GJaozrC.jpg

The next day upon completion of the project I was so impressed with the performance of that little pocket knife I sought out another small knife to carry for awhile, my Buck 303.

o6VvXcl.jpg

After several days of carrying the 3.25 inch Buck I concluded, 1) it was never lacking in cutting ability and 2) what more do I need for everyday urban life? Of course just then a little rosewood Boker half-whittler that I had admired for years becomes available. I didn't have any Bokers in my accumulation, it was NOS, sized just like the ones I was so happy with and at a price I simply could not pass up.

4nHfBjM.jpg

I've started this thread with the idea that others would join in expressing their satisfaction with small knives. Small being defined as between 2.5 and 3.25 inches. Come on folks join in and show those little knives in your collections and in proclaiming the joy and satisfaction with the Smalls.

Last edited:
I have a few in that size range. :D
I don't use carry them much, I'm always patting down/checking my pocket to make sure I still have it. :oops:

I'll agree that since I was forced into early retirement, a 2.5 to 3.25 inch closed knife would probably take care of 98.9% of my daily cutting tasks.
(I need at least a 3.25 to 3.75 inch blade for food prep, though.)

However, after carrying a 3.375 inch to 5 inch knife (folding closed length or fixed blade blade length, take your pick) for nigh on 58 years ... well ... old habits are hard to break ... :(

Last edited:
Funny you started this thread. I just received this Pepe Jalomo Mini Lanny's Clip today and I'm fascinated with it! It's only 3.25" closed. It seems tiny but it's so solid and feels larger than it looks. I have a med/lg hand size and I can get a full grip. It feels fantastic in hand. Can't wait to get to know it better.
20180529_193753.jpg

20180529_193807.jpg

20180529_193833.jpg

20180529_193901.jpg

20180529_193940.jpg

I have a few in that size range. :D
I don't use carry them much, I'm always patting down/checking my pocket to make sure I still have it. :oops:

I'll agree that since I was forced into early retirement, a 2.5 to 3.25 inch closed knife would probably take care of 98.9% of my daily cutting tasks.
(I need at least a 3.25 to 3.75 inch blade for food prep, though.)

However, after carrying a 3.375 inch to 5 inch knife (folding closed length or fixed blade blade length, take your pick) for nigh on 58 years ... well ... old habits are hard to break ... :(
I know what you mean, they take a little gettin' use to but so far it's been fun an enlightening for me.

Custom built for me by Jim Dunlap modeled on a Schrade pattern. Knife is 3" closed, super cutting power and my EDC
dunlapshadowjack1.jpg

dunlapshadowjack3.jpg
WOW!!! That is one nice custom.

Funny you started this thread. I just received this Pepe Jalomo Mini Lanny's Clip today and I'm fascinated with it! It's only 3.25" closed. It seems tiny but it's so solid and feels larger than it looks. I have a med/lg hand size and I can get a full grip. It feels fantastic in hand. Can't wait to get to know it better.
View attachment 915196

View attachment 915197

View attachment 915198

View attachment 915199

View attachment 915200
Sweet Lanny's Clip, in photo it looks bigger than it measures, maybe even tough enough for hard use. I look forward to hearing more as it get more pocket time.

I don't have many but I sure love the ones I do.
It's probably the perfect size range and I think that's why they all clicked with me so quickly.

The case 6208 half whittler became a favorite almost instantly, as did the Vic pocket pal, and the Vic recruit which is an all time favorite of mine.
As far as readily available common slipjoints goes it just may be the perfect knife.

In general 2.5"- 3.25" is just about the perfect size for loose in pocket carry, I'd stretch it to 3.5 though as these here carry just as well and 1/4" doesn't mean much.

The Wostenholm I×XL is 1/4" longer in the blade, but the 33OT is no longer in the blade than those 3.25 " knives.

For years I almost exclusively carried the 108OT, 340T or a Victorinox Small Tinker. Never needed anything larger for most daily tasks. I think the 108OT is a bit smaller than what you specified but it's capable enough. I was at a work party once and one of the wives needed something opened from a thick cardboard box. All the guys started pulling out their big pig stickers clipped into their pockets while I quietly pulled out the 108OT. They were sitting there comparing their knives while I just sliced the box open faster than a laser beam. My good buddy Denny said "there's a man who is secure enough to pack an itty-bitty little knife". The Spey blade on the 340T was re shaped by Granddad and is very useful in its current configuration.

IMG_2394.jpg

The little ones could get addictive.

Maybe.

Plus, if you ever wanted to take a picture of all your little ones together, they might be hard to track down... and, you know, it might be hard to stop buying them. But, there are at least half a dozen in my collection that I couldn't find for the picture. Maybe I should go buy some more...

20180529_205920-1128x2178.jpg

Back