SMALLS (Traditionals only)

2 & 3/4" Boker stockman, shield-hole filled with epoxy and chalk dust.
38was6s.jpg

NP3JyInh.jpg

This swayback jack just barely tops 3". It's just a few days shy of being in my pocket everyday for one year straight. This board makes me want other knives, but I have not found the need to carry anything else.

Of all the new to me patterns I have tried and carried, this Case Swayback Jack is just about the best knife I have ever had. I love these knives and don't have enough of them.

Ed J

I think others have posted this one, but this is one of the best lightweight SMALLS that I have for EDC... the Schrade+ SP2. Nothing fancy, but there for you when you need it ;)

View attachment 949190

These are excellent little knives. I have one, but I think it is an SP1 and it's even smaller than the SP2 you have. I have an SP7 which is big and a bit unwieldy.

Ed J

Last edited:
thought I'd asked before

Just didn't remember the name - forgot it didn't have one ;)
No problem! I got that knife a couple years ago, someone I knew was selling off 6 of his Schrade Cut Co's and I bought them sight unseen... turns out they were all great old peachseed bone and that one was included. I think I stared at them with my jaw dropped for at least an hour plus he threw in a peachseed Schrade Walden stockman as a bonus... I collectively call them the Magnificent 7 :D

No problem! I got that knife a couple years ago, someone I knew was selling off 6 of his Schrade Cut Co's and I bought them sight unseen... turns out they were all great old peachseed bone and that one was included. I think I stared at them with my jaw dropped for at least an hour plus he threw in a peachseed Schrade Walden stockman as a bonus... I collectively call them the Magnificent 7 :D

Magnificent 7

I like that idea!

I've currently 2 Camillus #21
a single blade remington peanut
Buck 704
and a Buck 309

so I've now got 2 more to find :D

Awhile back I wrote in this thread, "The smalls I most appreciate are those that even though they are small, they are still easy to hold onto... This beauty that I received today may be one of those, it certainly is comfortable to hold. I'll let you know how it is to use, soon."

Well, after two months of being in my watch pocket nearly everyday I have two comments; 1) Oh my goodness!!!:eek::) and 2) The two blade stag 14 has become not just one of my favorite smalls but one of my favorite knives, period. Large enough that it's easy to hang onto during use and small enough to go absolutely unnoticed until needed. I use the smaller of the two blades more often than not because of it's lighter pull and because, that is all that's been needed. The larger blade has mostly been used to slice fruit and it functions perfectly in that role. I'm convinced that for everyday use I don't actually need anymore knife than the 14... yeah it's that good. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

FAvFBlq.jpg

Last edited:
Awhile back I wrote in this thread, "The smalls I most appreciate are those that even though they are small, they are still easy to hold onto... This beauty that I received today may be one of those, it certainly is comfortable to hold. I'll let you know how it is to use, soon."

Well, after two months of being in my watch pocket nearly everyday I have two comments; 1) Oh my goodness!!!:eek::) and 2) The two blade stag 14 has become not just one of my favorite smalls but one of my favorite knives, period. Large enough that it's easy to hang onto during use and small enough to go absolutely unnoticed until needed. I use the smaller of the two blades more often than not because of it's lighter pull and because, that is all that's been needed. The larger blade has mostly been used to slice fruit and it functions perfectly in that role. I'm convinced that for everyday use I don't actually need anymore knife than the 14... yeah it's that good. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

FAvFBlq.jpg
Nice review and I agree with it 100%. I've since sold or gave away my two blade #14s, but I find my single blade #14s to be the PERFECT everyday knife.

FAvFBlq.jpg

Very good report!:thumbsup:

So very often, a small knife like this is a lesson in what we don't need, in spite of what we think in our heads. The small two blade pocket knives like the 14, a Buck 309, Case peanut or mini copperhead, gives a look into how even the second small blade will still handle most of what we need in our daily everyday lives.

Long live the 'Smalls!'

FAvFBlq.jpg
Nice post, that pretty much sums up how I feel as well!

Nice review and I agree with it 100%. I've since sold or gave away my two blade #14s, but I find my single blade #14s to be the PERFECT everyday knife.

Very good report!:thumbsup:

So very often, a small knife like this is a lesson in what we don't need, in spite of what we think in our heads. The small two blade pocket knives like the 14, a Buck 309, Case peanut or mini copperhead, gives a look into how even the second small blade will still handle most of what we need in our daily everyday lives.

Long live the 'Smalls!'

Nice post, that pretty much sums up how I feel as well!

Thank guys!
Smalls rule... "Long live the Smalls!" :D

Yet another good benefit of the smalls is, since they are sooooo frugal with pocket space, it's possible to carry a number of smalls with you stashed in different pockets, and not weight down the pants too much. I've been known to keep a coin pocket size knife like a Buck 309 or Boker 240 in said pocket, a Victorinox classic on the keyring, and another small in the left front pocket with the Bic lighter and mini bottle of hand sanitizer.

Smalls go well in groups, like piranha. Hornets. Fire ants. :eek:

:D

Of all the new to me patterns I have tried and carried, this Case Swayback Jack is just about the best knife I have ever had. I love these knives and don't have enough of them.

Ed J

Funny, til your post I hadn't really been thinking of mine as one of "The Smalls" , it's a good wide grip and cuts above and beyond its size like the peanuts do. But put it next to a peanut and I realize how small it is. Interesting!

2018-12-26-18.25.44.jpg

Must admit it's one of the best I've had too, got it just a couple weeks ago, and it's quickly moved up into my carry favorites.

FAvFBlq.jpg
I’m just weeks into carrying my 14 2 blade stag and I am finding it just as you describe. Loving it.
E7xbqKw.jpg

Back