1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SMALLS (Traditionals only)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by redsparrow, May 29, 2018.

1. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    2 & 3/4" Boker stockman, shield-hole filled with epoxy and chalk dust.
    [​IMG]

3. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
  4. TLARbb

TLARbb Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Of all the new to me patterns I have tried and carried, this Case Swayback Jack is just about the best knife I have ever had. I love these knives and don't have enough of them.

Ed J

5. TLARbb

TLARbb Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2010
    These are excellent little knives. I have one, but I think it is an SP1 and it's even smaller than the SP2 you have. I have an SP7 which is big and a bit unwieldy.

Ed J

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Ace Rimmer and veitsi_poika like this.
  6. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Ice Tigre and veitsi_poika like this.
  7. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    No problem! I got that knife a couple years ago, someone I knew was selling off 6 of his Schrade Cut Co's and I bought them sight unseen... turns out they were all great old peachseed bone and that one was included. I think I stared at them with my jaw dropped for at least an hour plus he threw in a peachseed Schrade Walden stockman as a bonus... I collectively call them the Magnificent 7 :D

Fodderwing, TLARbb, Ice Tigre and 5 others like this.
  8. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I've seen many people post pics of them as their EDC, very sharp, light and easy to pocket! :thumbsup:

TLARbb and Ice Tigre like this.
  9. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Magnificent 7

I like that idea!

I've currently 2 Camillus #21
    a single blade remington peanut
    Buck 704
    and a Buck 309

so I've now got 2 more to find :D

Ice Tigre likes this.
  10. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Awhile back I wrote in this thread, "The smalls I most appreciate are those that even though they are small, they are still easy to hold onto... This beauty that I received today may be one of those, it certainly is comfortable to hold. I'll let you know how it is to use, soon."

Well, after two months of being in my watch pocket nearly everyday I have two comments; 1) Oh my goodness!!!:eek::) and 2) The two blade stag 14 has become not just one of my favorite smalls but one of my favorite knives, period. Large enough that it's easy to hang onto during use and small enough to go absolutely unnoticed until needed. I use the smaller of the two blades more often than not because of it's lighter pull and because, that is all that's been needed. The larger blade has mostly been used to slice fruit and it functions perfectly in that role. I'm convinced that for everyday use I don't actually need anymore knife than the 14... yeah it's that good. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Nice review and I agree with it 100%. I've since sold or gave away my two blade #14s, but I find my single blade #14s to be the PERFECT everyday knife.

TLARbb, Ice Tigre, dc50 and 1 other person like this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Very good report!:thumbsup:

So very often, a small knife like this is a lesson in what we don't need, in spite of what we think in our heads. The small two blade pocket knives like the 14, a Buck 309, Case peanut or mini copperhead, gives a look into how even the second small blade will still handle most of what we need in our daily everyday lives.

Long live the 'Smalls!'

13. Radisson

Radisson Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Nice post, that pretty much sums up how I feel as well!

redsparrow and Ice Tigre like this.
  14. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Thank guys!
    Smalls rule... "Long live the Smalls!" :D

Ice Tigre, dc50 and JohnDF like this.
  15. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Yet another good benefit of the smalls is, since they are sooooo frugal with pocket space, it's possible to carry a number of smalls with you stashed in different pockets, and not weight down the pants too much. I've been known to keep a coin pocket size knife like a Buck 309 or Boker 240 in said pocket, a Victorinox classic on the keyring, and another small in the left front pocket with the Bic lighter and mini bottle of hand sanitizer.

Smalls go well in groups, like piranha. Hornets. Fire ants. :eek:

:D

16. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Funny, til your post I hadn't really been thinking of mine as one of "The Smalls" , it's a good wide grip and cuts above and beyond its size like the peanuts do. But put it next to a peanut and I realize how small it is. Interesting!

[​IMG]

Must admit it's one of the best I've had too, got it just a couple weeks ago, and it's quickly moved up into my carry favorites.

JB in SC, dc50, Filoso and 10 others like this.
  17. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    I’m just weeks into carrying my 14 2 blade stag and I am finding it just as you describe. Loving it.
    [​IMG]

18. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
  19. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
  20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    My only #14, I was fortunate to get a nice one in ironwood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018