SMALLS (Traditionals only)

LS8StaH.jpg

Ever come across a knife in your collection and wonder where it came from?

A year or two ago I found this Bear MCG single-blade peanut-sized knife in a little-used drawer. I know I never bought it, so someone must have given it to me for some reason.

Whoever did buy it almost certainly paid no more than $15 for it, so it should be junk, but it isn’t. While it’s not particularly pleasing aesthetically it takes and retains a reasonable edge and “walks and talks” just as it should. It doesn’t see a lot of carry, but every once in a while I’ll slip it in my watch pocket...just because. Each and every time I pull it out to cut something it makes me smile.

If any of my children ever decide to make me a grandpa, I know exactly where this little knife will go.

View attachment 1107378

They had one of these at the local hardware for $20 and I really wanted it, but the display model was pretty rough and I didn't feel like asking to look through all of them in hopes for a good one.
I may have to do that at some point if they still have 'em.

Really like the MOP lobster knife I picked up recently, a great quality antique knife with hand forged blades by Joseph Westby of Sheffield. As part of the same lot came another horn scaled knife which, though much later in date and with no mark other than 'Foreign' on the tang, I really like. I'm guessing it's from the 50's at best and although a relatively cheap Item when produced is of good quality with a useful sized, sharp main blade and really good snap. I particularly like the fact that the loose tweezers have their own compartment and that the scales, which I have had patched in by a friend, have been done in horn. Just goes to show that the cheaper knives can give just as much pleasure as the better quality, more expensive ones. ;)

Untitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

- Mark

Last edited:
Well, Jerry JB in SC JB in SC , it looks like my earlier post is a prime example of Fake News! Take a look at the back of the small Reese Bose knife below: while amazing in its craftsmanship, there is no locking mechanism whatsoever.
IMG_7090.jpg

I must've been thinking about a separate Jess Horn lockback of the same size, but either way its just incorrect. I was in a rush and posted negligently; I fully understand and accept that this error could lead to a permanent or semi-permanent ban on posting here, maybe worse. At a minimum my Pulitzer will be stripped away. Thank goodness for the edit feature on BF - I've edited the earlier post and hope none of you will remember it!

Back