SMALLS (Traditionals only)

Thank you. The tomato acrylic is a #06 Pemberton. The knife above the Burlap 25 is another Pemberton with antique gold Jigged bone handles. Here a front side view.

View attachment 916001
Love those Pembertons Travman!
The object I asked about "in" the second pic appears to be an animal/vegetable/mineral that fell off a passing meteor. It's brown with spikey hairs and looks like it's wearing a green vest. I'm hoping it's a caterpillar. Can you confirm that? Thanks, -James

Am I missing something here or aren’t most of the knives posted here just regular sized slip joint? When I think of small I think of something like peanut or lobster. I know it is all relative but I’m just saying you know what I’m saying?

The OP stated 3.25" and under, and I think we've been faithful to that standard. I personally think any knife under 3.5" feels small, but I have large hands.

Three Small Bucks & Two Full Size Quarters
xdvJn6R.jpg

Love those Pembertons Travman!
The object I asked about "in" the second pic appears to be an animal/vegetable/mineral that fell off a passing meteor. It's brown with spikey hairs and looks like it's wearing a green vest. I'm hoping it's a caterpillar. Can you confirm that? Thanks, -James
That is most likely a moth larva. I have no idea what species.

Smalls. I have always loved the smalls.

This Boker 240 has become a regular in my coin pocket and a semi daily companion. It has done all I asked for cutting, and it's a good looker with the rosewood scales. My granddaughter has become a fan of smalls, so the Remington has become one of her prized possessions.

The only knife that knocks the little Boker out of the coin pocket is the Sardinian Resolza. That's my other favorite small.

Of course, no matter what's in my coin pocket, the Victorinox classic is always on my keyring. Always.

Small is a good thing. It means you can carry many for the burden of one.

Last edited:
I love small knives and have carried some fine ones over the years, some nice ones posted.

Last edited:
I am relatively a newbie in the knife collecting business, but I like small knives. One of the Case patterns that I have bought a few of is the Eisenhower/Senator. I believe it would fall into this category. I really like these small thin knives. I can't take pictures right now, but one of these in stag might just be my favorite knife.

I am relatively a newbie in the knife collecting business, but I like small knives. One of the Case patterns that I have bought a few of is the Eisenhower/Senator. I believe it would fall into this category. I really like these small thin knives. I can't take pictures right now, but one of these in stag might just be my favorite knife.

boykinlp, the Case Eisenhower/Senators definitely fit into this small knife thread and are often quite desirable pocket knives but those who like 'em small. BTW welcome to the traditional forum. -James

Am I missing something here or aren’t most of the knives posted here just regular sized slip joint? When I think of small I think of something like peanut or lobster. I know it is all relative but I’m just saying you know what I’m saying?
In the original post a general range of 2-1/2" to 3-1/4" was given :thumbsup:

Here is my humble little contribution to this thread - my "small" carries.

The top one is a Jeff Baker made liner lock. I think his 1st foray into folders. 2-1/4" blade, 3-3/8" closed and a whopping 5-5/8" fully opened. Bocote scales. No nail notch but it opens easily with maybe a 3 or 4 pull. The lock keeps it very secure. It does have some texture on the spine of the blade between the bolsters to suggest that it was intended as a front flipper BUT Jeff said that it was specifically not intended as a flipper. Good thing because it doesn't work that way :). This one is definetly a 2 hand open and close folder.

This Baker Bocote is the only knife I have on me every day. Others rotate in and out, according to the occasion but this one is a daily carry and user.

The very little Stag lock back is a BEAR MGC measuring at 1-5/8" blade tip to bolster, 3-3/4" open. I carried it pretty regularly for a while but it really is too small to be practical except for stabbing hors d'oeuvres :). It's a thumb and two finger knife. Still, I keep it sharp and it has started more than a few conversations. Fun to play with.:thumbsup:

Am enjoying seeing your submissions. Mykel M - you have really become a note worthy knife/nature photographer. :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Back