SMF general discussion.

BellaBlades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey guys and gals.
I did not see this coming. But I now own and use this SMF. I only have this knife for an EDC.
Early this week I had a Large 21 Sebenza which I loved dearly. It was great, I sold it for funds. Then after i sold it. A bunch of jobs I did came through and I finally got payed for them.
Point being I did not need to sell it after all.

I decided to jump for an SMF. Ive had an SNG, that was too small and every ZT I could hope to try.
This one is used which I am happy about. This one is broken in with little wear. The lock has broken in and settled at 50% roughly and is rock solid. Scary solid.
The heat treat is amazing. I have used the CPM 154 to work alot of wood already and the 3/4 grind cuts great as well.
I am super impressed. And I will be keeping it for a while.
I am pleased to have a good one.
Just thought I would share.
:thumbup::D

Last edited:
Works well in the choked up grip.
With the hand further back, the ergos don't feel quite so great.
But, everyone's hand is different; I have knives I find super comfortable that one of my friends describes as "A kick in the balls for the hand."

Yeah, it is awesome chocked up.
The grip in the back is fine for me.
It feels like a small axe back there. I find the lego shape to fit my Wide medium/large hand perfect.

Works well in the choked up grip.
With the hand further back, the ergos don't feel quite so great.
But, everyone's hand is different; I have knives I find super comfortable that one of my friends describes as "A kick in the balls for the hand."

Badness.
The palm grip works for me also. Stabby is a wanker. :D
Do NOT sell Strider knives.
Congratz, Matt.
rolf

Thanks ROLF.
I realize that BF is not Strider Friendly for the most part, but it is a knife that is really a tough SOB.
It is everything that ZT wanted to be when it grew up but just never matured to that point. LOL.
Take care and talk to you soon,
Matt

Agreed Matt.... My Striders have taken everything I've thrown at them.
BF reputation aside, they make a heck of an EDC.
Congratz Sir

Very nice. May have to try an SMF next. My Strider is a masterpiece. I cannot find a thing to nag about. Perfect lockup, no sticky lock, centered blade and some of the best stonewash on the planet. It's also a knife that I have no reservation using for anything which I cannot say about others I own.

Exactly how I feel, also the choil on the SMF is work of art IMO. It is huge so my chubby finger really fits in it well.
I respect my knives very much. But there is no doubt that this blade not only cuts well, but the bull nose pivot, thick tight lock and thick blade are super tough. I am happy to know that I can use this one for everything from light cutting to automotive work.
My blade is not dead center. More like 46/54. Barely notice it. Besides that it is stellar. I really thought I was over the thick knife thing, but I realized I am simply over the flipper thing.

After some use, I realize this CPM 154 has high "stropability" as I call it. The heat treat is very well done. Even with a near mirror polish it will not round off. Kudos to the heat treat.

Very nice. May have to try an SMF next. My Strider is a masterpiece. I cannot find a thing to nag about. Perfect lockup, no sticky lock, centered blade and some of the best stonewash on the planet. It's also a knife that I have no reservation using for anything which I cannot say about others I own.

Looking good Charles.
I like it. I really started this thread to just see some pictures.
So thank you for sharing.
Matt

I've had a bunch of Striders and a bunch of CRK's. They are both great; they just wear different faces and have vastly different personalities. My NIB SMF is also in CPM-154, a great steel, and I'm amazed that such a tough knife and thick blade (0.190") can do all this in a slim package with a handle that is only 0.490" thick. My Spyderco TUFF with its thick CPM-3v steel has 0.469" thick grips. My Zaan with 0.140" spined blade has grips of 0.465" thick.
What is my point?
Tough knives do NOT have to be fat or heavy in my pocket. MY PET PEEVE.

Last edited:
How does a blade that thick, and with a low sabre grind, cut compared to a CRK knife, like the Sebenza, with an eighth-inch blade and a high hollow grind? I've always wanted to try an SMF, but the blade geometry always made me afraid that it would be a low-performance knife for most EDC chores.

I can sharpen the bajeezus out of my blade so that helps. The only way to tell is to try.

It is high performance for such a thick blade. The short hollow grind is well done to get a somewhat thinner thickness at edge. Mine has a near perfect 40 degree edge almost mirror polished as it came. If I take her down to 30 Id be even more impressed I am sure.
I think it cuts better than the FFG that I have tried.
Honestly being a CRK guy myself. I find it cuts very well with the 3/4 grind. Besides tomatoes it does very well. High cutting power due to the handle. Id not have it if I simply cut up cardboard all day long.
I love Sebenza and I want another someday, but this is alot more fun for me. I was hesitant about how it would cut but I love it.
That says alot going from a 21 to this. No doubt about it.
Surely not for every one. But this is alot of fun and the comfort is high for me. I have always loved the design. Just never put the cash down until now . I payed 400$ for it. Well worth it IMO for an SMF.
Not going to compare to other heavy duty knives to start anything. There are many great ones out there. I have respect for each and every one. This just happens to be dead nuts what I like.

Also, you dont have to think twice if you need the blade to do some prying or cutting of nasty materials. It just wants it from what I can tell already.
Its like comparing a BMW super car to a F-250 Powerstroke. Both rock.

How does a blade that thick, and with a low sabre grind, cut compared to a CRK knife, like the Sebenza, with an eighth-inch blade and a high hollow grind? I've always wanted to try an SMF, but the blade geometry always made me afraid that it would be a low-performance knife for most EDC chores.

Last edited:
SnG is the perfect edc size for me. If I were to use gloves a lot and expect to do harder work than the SMF fits the bill.
Theres just that 'it' factor that's hard to explain with Strider Knives. They are extremely capable knives that are offered in
a myriad of latest steels and various handle/ blade configurations. I can't wait for the SnG to be released in the Performance
Series Mick has cooking up.

Strider's were my first high end knife when I started collecting knives, here's a couple of my SMF's

Well, I am beat. Done working in the shop for the night.
You all have a great Easter! If I dont get back in before then. Doubtful though.
Matt

I love my SMF. Got it dressed up with a Custom CF scale from Cuscadi.

6fdd383c04668927414387c8aa68ed66_zps46028bba.jpg

b1bde7d7cbaa0e838c6ea5f2cea2fa0a_zpsc23a36a9.jpg

I had to open a cash register for a store clerk today with mine. Hesitant at first not wanting me to Snape the blade but I told him its got a lifetime warranty but it doesn't matter because you're not braking it anyway lol. Rouge Warrior 1 FTW!

Great thread, seeing as I just got my SMF Green Lego in CPM154 in yesterday. :) This is my third Strider. Sold the last two because I HATED the blade geometry. This on is a spear point, almost a FFG, or a really high saber. I don't know what to call it, but I don't care, it flat CUTS. I took it to 20* per side on the Wicked Edge, and took it to the 1000 grit stone. Wow, I never expected this brute to cut the way it does. I was push cutting through 3/4 inch sisal rope. With a freakin' SMF!! That's sharp. I normally would leave more "tooth" on my blade, but since I'm new to CPM154, I am playing around to find the sweet spot. Ankerson and I talked, and he recommended about 400-600. I may take it back down, but it will flat slice like it is. I have always had a love/ hate relationship with my Striders. I love the looks and the brawn, but have hated the cutting performance. NOT NOW, this one is staying! I can say that I'd sell one of my Hinderers first.

I guess I've rambled enough, but the timing of this thread is so perfect. Congrats to the OP. glad you're digging your SMF too. Cheers.

Back