Smock and Ikuchi

The Ikuchi was one of the most disappointing knives I've bought - such potential but I've been sliced/poked enough times from the protruding tip when the blade was closed that it's sat in the box for months now.

I have been wondering the same thing. I know we just have to be patient; but I really want to try out the Smock!
The Smock has been in stock at a particular (Canadian) online dealer that I usually use. It sold out instantly but the second offering has been in stock for some time. I've been tempted...

I'm guessing they are doing a CQI with Ikuchi. Resolving the protruding tip, hopefully smoothing out the action and the centering issue. Mine came so tight I could barely get it open. If I loosened the pivot even a miniscule amount, it would go completely off center and rub. Very disappointed.

Protruding tip will be addressed. Word is they're changing the pivot too but no specifics yet. Could be a bushing pivot or maybe bearings.

Good information, guess I will not buy a used one and wait.

Thanks
Definitely wait. I would have not bought one if I knew about the protruding tip issue - who wants a knife that can cut you while closed in your pocket? And the tip is like a razor-sharp needle, it's not fun.

Definitely wait. I would have not bought one if I knew about the protruding tip issue - who wants a knife that can cut you while closed in your pocket? And the tip is like a razor-sharp needle, it's not fun.

No one but, based on my personal experience as an owner of the Ikuchi and the Tropen (both of which have been accused of such "flaws"), I have never been cut by them while folded and/or carried or removed from my pocket and regard such worries as grossly exaggerated.

No one but, based on my personal experience as an owner of the Ikuchi and the Tropen (both of which have been accused of such "flaws"), I have never been cut by them while folded and/or carried or removed from my pocket and regard such worries as grossly exaggerated.
When closed, the tip is exposed and will cut you if you come into contact with it. This isn't a gross exaggeration, it's what the tip of the knife was meant to do - preferably only when open, of course. Maybe you got one of the better ones or I got one of the bad ones, either way my personal experience combined with the number of complaints tells me that this was a fairly big mistake/oversight on Spyderco's part. Hence, wait until they fix it if you haven't bought one already.

But feel free to spin this flaw as a selling point: Ikuchi - The Knife that is Always Ready.

When closed, the tip is exposed and will cut you if you come into contact with it. This isn't a gross exaggeration, it's what the tip of the knife was meant to do - preferably only when open, of course. Maybe you got one of the better ones or I got one of the bad ones, either way my personal experience combined with the number of complaints tells me that this was a fairly big mistake/oversight on Spyderco's part. Hence, wait until they fix it if you haven't bought one already.

I bought 1 of the 1st released/sold and tip of my Ikuchi is NOT exposed and has never cut me.

Last edited:
"Ikuchi finger" tip issue is reported to be resolved in this CQI update. Better action as well with pivot bushings.

I just ordered the Ikuchi CQI from DLT. I will let you all know how it works when I get it. The Kapara is a bit too
long for comfortable bottom of pocket carrying in dress pants so I will try this slicey new one! This will be my third from Taichung. Advocate, Kapara, and now the Ikuchi.

I hate waiting....Monday it should be here...worst case Tuesday.

I should add that the pivot bushing in the Kapara is EPIC so if
the Ikuchi has action like that I am going to be very pleased.
I read about some of it's negatives and decided not to get one...
which was silly since they were out of stock everywhere. After using
the CQI Kapara I ordered the Ikuchi as soon as I heard it was improved...
and in stock.

Last edited:
After playing w/it awhile again, I decided that I really don't like/need the Smock.

Too small, in general blade's too short, the choil is useless and potentially dangerous and it's not otherwise compelling for me to keep it.

I just got my Smock yesterday and I am loving it. The flipping action is great and I really like the button release compression lock. Nice grippy scales, speed holes and a generously sized lanyard hole.

It was @Quiet's review that pushed me over the edge to buy one. :thumbsup:

Back