Smokestacks and the Whatnot

She's got some nice lines there Johnny. :thumbup:

I'm leaning towards a swedge but not sold on the idea yet. Bronze guard, a kitchen sink of spacers, black leather, Blackwood, who knows. Might make the handle a little wild on that one.

I like the swedge idea. I'm betting that it's a ton of extra work but it sure does add to the overall package.

Getting them even is a pain for me but they can be worth it. I like that they take some thickness out of the blade. Turn the cross section from a "V" to a diamond up front (if that makes sense). This one has a nice heft to it, but a swedge could make it a bit more slicey, and we like slicey.

Slicey is good; swedged slicey is better. Patience... ;)

[youtube]mZ7NbFAPdcc[/youtube]

Slicey is good; swedged slicey is better. Patience... ;)

Start at 4:40.
Swedgy, slicey is good. Even this rookie knifemaker thought so.

[youtube]p0RHtnkagz0[/youtube]
By the way, Shel. My Bk5 still gets used more than any other big knife that I have. Thanks again.

I'm alive. I made it through the crazy snowmelt without any moisture around the house in the last couple of weeks. That must have angered the flood gods, so the water meter in the crawlspace felt like it was a good time to make a swimming pool down there a few days ago. No rabbit huntin, but I got a new fishing hole, gonna stock it and drill a hole in the living room floor! Makes life interesting I guess. Sump pumps are a life saver:thumbup:

Enough of that business, got the Whatnot ground out and a nice swedge on it this morning, the large blade is swedged as well and looks great so far. Really liking that blade, can't figure out why, there's just something about it. I'll get some pics up when I can.

That really sucks!
At least it wasn't during the middle of winter, so there's good news there! :D

No doubt, I should have seen it coming, the frost plate rusted out and finally gave way. Plumbing and electrical work are probably my least favorite things to do, especially if it's cold!

Weather's been good here, should be getting potatoes in the ground here soon, too many freezes ahead to plant anything else. Always a strange time of year here, might have a high of 65 one day and a low of 15 the next. Then again, it's always a strange time of year, we've had snow in June and freezing temps in August, but I'll take it.

Rain, rain, headed your way. Sorry to hear about the minor flooding, glad it wasn't worse. There's no way to get used to the weather up here, that's fur sure! Looking forward seeing WIP pics!

p.s. I stopped into a Columbia Falls gun store today, saw a copy of my book that I'd sold to the owner for $32.50 five years ago. Bought it back for $40, listed it on FB for $195, and sold it two hours after the repurchase. I should go to C. Falls more often, or write another book... :D

Nice catch and release Shel! You could always write a Redmeadow book, it would be more like a leaflet, I'll start it off. . "Once upon a time there was this hermit dude....":p

So there are a few things that are damn near impossible to photograph (for this caveman anyways), a swedge is one of them, but here's a shot of the Whatnot and it's copper guard.

Oh and this is not the most boring knife in the wo-o-orld, oh no, this is a tri-i-bute...
[video=youtube;_lK4cX5xGiQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lK4cX5xGiQ&app=desktop[/video]
Boring, simple, and cutty, what more do we need in a knife?

They are all looking great, John! Love that rounded spine on the Whatnot!:thumbup:

Tenacious D??? Wow...:p

Step right up ladies and germs, see through-tang swedge photo graphy at it's finest! I'm getting a weird Jim Morrison went down to Georgia kinda vibe here. Cutty, cutty, cutty...

The edge on that is just under 3", a no frills little cutter in .10" 52100. Thin scales (maybe walnut or cherry to keep the cost down), and bronze pins @.093". A basic sheath with a nice and easy price.

Hey now, I always get a kick out of that song. When I was drawing that last one up I thought how common that general handle design is and was singing that in my head, "this is not, the most boring knife in the wo-o-orld..." lol.

[video=youtube;GJY8jJkDoMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJY8jJkDoMY&app=desktop[/video]
...Sheldon is strange....:p

Back