Smokey Mountain camping trip

Hi guys I need some help with my B-day camping trip. I plan on going to the smokey mountain in tennessee looking at sugerlands for my starting piont and hitting up some of the falls like Grotto, twin and rainbow falls. Dose any1 have any info about this area? Or have a better place to go I have a total of 9 days to get there from chicago and back.

I've done a ton of hiking there.. If you only hike one trail there make it Alum Cave Trail.... I think thats the name... It opens up at the end of the trail to some killer bluffs.... Its on the way to Mt. Leconte

oh yeah, don't forget to drive Cades Cove Loop - and finish it all off with some pancakes. Pancake shops on every corner in gatlinburg....

Hit up Klingmon's dome while you are there. It's a very short paved trail to the look out platform but it's awesome up there.

I agree on the pancacke pantry. Get the sweet potatoe pancakes - you won't be dissapointed.

Cades cove is great
Send me an email and I might be able to hook you up with some maps and trail guides to borrow

Looks like it's all covered here. Right down to the pancakes, too. I live about two hours away from the park, and get down there as often as possible. All recommendations made are great ones. You didn't say if you were backpacking or just truck camping. Either way, you'll have a great visit. Have fun, and enjoy an appalachian spring. Prepare for bears. They will be out and hungry. You should be fine if you follow standard bear safe camping rules.

Been there a lot. I avoid any trail heads requiring travel through Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge (unless you want to do the tourist stuff) and be wary of traffic around Cades Cove (crazy most of the time). Trails in the Big Creek area and around Bryson City are my favorites, mostly because crowds can be avoided to, from and on the trails which are also very nice.

One more recommendation- buy the "little brown book" Hiking Trails of the Smokies. It is the best Smokies reference I have found and will also help immensely in the choice of your route.

I'll be backpacking camping for 6days i hope
dose that change things up for were i want to go?

I like here, at the base of the southern Smokies. Mt Cammerer is a great spot, Chimney Tops, Baskin's Creek Falls, tons of stuff. Be sure and plan a good route and get your reservations for shelters ASAP, they fill up fast.

PM or email me if you have questions.

Moose

I live about thirty minutes from the park.The cades cove is my favorite and there is less of the tourist stuff.I have hiked to the top of leconte by way of allum caves bluff trail it is very good.when you get to the top there is a lodge but it require reservations.we stay in the shelter there wich you also have to reserve.if it is clear there isn't much you can't see on top of leconte.In cades cove you can go to abrhams falls its about 2.5 miles one way.the falls are really neat and probably the best imo,but my favorite is to make multiple night loops.you could start at abrhams ranger station and see the falls the cove and sleep under the stars a couple nights.the cove is my favorite place ,my name is Tipton and on the back Side of the loop is the Tipton home place.The Tipton were one of the first to settle there.I am in Kentucky working for awhile but if I wasn't I would be glad to show you some stuff.You will enjoy this time of year no matter where you go.Have fun and watch out for all the wild critters we got.

oh yeah, don't forget to drive Cades Cove Loop - and finish it all off with some pancakes. Pancake shops on every corner in gatlinburg....

Crap on Cades Cove, too many tourists who havent seen deer beofre. You'll be stopping every 5 minutes.

We didn't have problems at the cove and we saw some big bull elks. And you have to stop at the smokey mountain knife works!!!
their prices are a little high but it is a museum of cutlery. A shopping mall of knives. I got my first esee there so you know they got good stuff:)

Crap on Cades Cove, too many tourists who havent seen deer beofre. You'll be stopping every 5 minutes.

The Harley riders are what pisses me off, lately. Yeah, its slow going, takes about 3hrs to go 11 miles, but having to do that with 3 LOUD ASS Harley's right in front of you, sucks.

Last time we went in early spring, we got to see some bears tear assing through the woods at mile 8. I do mean tear assing, rampaging, throwing stuff, raising up on their hinds, screaming roars. God that was awesome.

Moose

There is a lot of tourist but if you're not from east Tennessee you're all tourist to us.I say come on and enjoy all of it that you can.It is a beautiful place and if I didn't live here I would be a tourist too.In my opinion the cove is essential.Too many tourists or not.There is a lot of history there and I visit it often.I have often said njext to a duck blind on the Mississippi fly way it is my favorite place on earth.

Back