Smooth ivory bone addiction

I've been a long time lurker on these forums over the years. Bought a handful of knives off the exchange and constantly read the epic threads here to keep in front of the game collecting everything my wallet will allow. I figured it's time I made some contributions!

Without further ado... Is anyone else as obsessed with GEC smooth ivory bone as I am? I try to buy or trade every one I can find here recently. Can't get enough! I see it as beauty through simplicity and utility I guess. I also live the way it ages and changes color like an old meerschaum pipe or something.

Pictured here is a 73 Beaver tail that the previous owner modified into a short drop point, a well used Beaver tail, 2 NKCA 2007 knives which I really am partial towards with the drop point single blade, a 2 blade 48, 23 Beaver tail, beer scout, Washington punch, and a 77 single blade spear barlow.

Grail knife for me is the smooth bone TC barlow with a sheepsfoot. I've missed it a couple times here on the forums and on the big auction site... Please post your ivory bones here... I love to drool over everyone's stuff! And I might find something here I didn't even know to keep an eye out for!

A friend of mine actually utilised the same drop point mod to a beaver tail 73 he has.
I applaud your diligence in finding all the smooth ivory bone there is xD And welcome to the porch after lurking. I admit, I did the same thing before I actually started posting and keeping up in the threads.

I myself have no ivory bone. I've only had elephant Ivory come through my collection, I'll remove them if not suitable for this thread.
I find the two are almost interchangeable in the fact that they both develop a lovely yellowed and aged appearance as time goes on.
Both deserve to be carried and allowed to age, like our carbon steel traditionals in general..the more character it procures..the more beauty.

Here are the two pieces I've had (the scagel fruitport has moved on) and have (the Halfrich TBose style trapper)
tumblr_nzs11uaU6U1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nzs11uaU6U1rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvwfnyuZJi1rzq6m9o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvvbf8TFhK1rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

I'm a fool for smooth ivory bone covers, and ivory. I'm on a waiting list or a custom ivory knife. Can't wait to work out the details and get that one under way.
I also got one of the Northwoods Gunstocks in antique white bone in a giveaway from KSF. It's a beautiful knife, really more than happy with it. Photo Bucket doesn't work for me, but below is a link to the page. Looks like you've been doing more than lurking. Nice pictures. Can't wait to see the pictures come in.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/northwoods-knives-gunstock-jack-closeout/?
inf_contact_key=055bf0801a5631439357dfaa530a7a0dc6bd4f67cb460e6a1c7917dbdee5ee2b

I'm a fool for smooth ivory bone covers, and ivory. I'm on a waiting list or a custom ivory knife. Can't wait to work out the details and get that one under way.
I also got one of the Northwoods Gunstocks in antique white bone in a giveaway from KSF. It's a beautiful knife, really more than happy with it. Photo Bucket doesn't work for me, but below is a link to the page. Looks like you've been doing more than lurking. Nice pictures. Can't wait to see the pictures come in.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/northwoods-knives-gunstock-jack-closeout/?
inf_contact_key=055bf0801a5631439357dfaa530a7a0dc6bd4f67cb460e6a1c7917dbdee5ee2b

Man that gunstock is sweet! Add it to the list of ones to search for... Do you remember when it was produced?

I'd love to add some ivory to the collection too. I think it will fit in nicely here!

I have a 73 Beaver Tail that I modified to a drop point.

That is the perfect subtle modification to the Beaver tail I think! The one I have was MUCH more aggressive. I can see traces of pitting that was polished off so it's likely that this knife was pretty far gone when they did the mod. I honestly don't even know that it started life as a Beaver tail but I can't find any other single blade 73s in ivory bone that it could have started life as. It doesn't have the 2007 stamp on the tang which throws another wrench in. But the nail nick and all pins match the Beaver tail perfectly...

Another mod I've been tossing around is sanding and buffing a 2 blade SS 73 that has pioneer bone covers. Would be cool to have a knife that matches the collection that I could leave in my hunting pack and not worry about rust. Has anyone ever attempted this? Tips or tricks?

Without further ado... Is anyone else as obsessed with GEC smooth ivory bone as I am? I try to buy or trade every one I can find here recently. Can't get enough! I see it as beauty through simplicity and utility I guess. I also live the way it ages and changes color like an old meerschaum pipe or something.

I agree with your assessment of smooth ivory bone, although I prefer "smitten." :D

I passed on a smooth white barlow myself, to my lasting regret. If nothing else, the persistent haunting reminds me to choose the white bone the next time(s). I'm particularly grateful I heeded this when selecting my Farmer's Jack....

IMG_7919.jpg~original

IMG_0621.jpg~original

IMG_1435.jpg~original

#15 Boy's Knife:
SmoothWhiteBone.jpg~original

IMG_3168.jpg~original

IMG_3156.jpg~original

#15 Beer Scout:
IMG_0865.jpg~original

IMG_0886.jpg~original

~ P.

I like those handles.

As I read,I was hoping someone would post the farmers jack,I should have known it would be you Sarah.

Steve,you think the bone on that Saynor was stabilized? Most all old bone shows little if no shrinkage. Beautiful color.

Back