Snarkaholics Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacGyver! Luckily it was the front one....

Fixed a snapped throttle cable once with duct tape and some wire I ripped off my stereo amp. That car was a POS. But we were halfway to the mountain to go night snowboarding, and the fix only took ten minutes, once I was able to idle into a gas station....I borrowed a pair of pliers from the kid attendant, who told me "you can't fix that!".....great look on his face when I tore rubber outta there 10 minutes later. I was actually tearing rubber all night, since I couldn't get it to idle much below 2500 rpm's after the throttle cable fix.

Had to do something similar back in 1974. Had a rare free weekend while in the Corps and Band at A&M and was headed home (1970 Ford Torino GT with a 351 shoe horned in) late one Friday night when all of a sudden I started slowing down but the engine was still running. Pulled off into the ditch, and with a flash light, I determined that the throttle linkage had busted. Used a pair of pliers to cut a chunk of barbed wire out of a pasture fence and bend a linkage. Max speed w/ the jury-rig was 38 mph, but I got home. I have carried bailing wire and pliers in every vehicle since just in case there's no barbed wire handy. :D

Thanks for everybody's compliments on the scales. Got enough finish on the show side, started getting some on the backside just to protect them. I didn't sand the backs after the dye, so the have a different look to them:

15363738426_5ed0229250_b.jpg

For comparison:

15187678470_821fd97392_b.jpg

On a completely different note, we went to Odiorne Point (old WW II bunker turned into a nature center (Seacoast Science Center) and I noticed these:

15380428661_12df44ba6b_b.jpg

15380431661_3a0196a543_b.jpg

There were 3 or 4 big ones....probably a project done for some program at the Center. Looked like fun. Made me want to abandon my family for a few hours (I had the 12 in my backpack) ;).

In other news, I'm beginning to understand why Vik insisted that I bring home a few dozen pounds of "Black Toad" dark ale, rather than make him carry it back across state lines. This stuff really does taste like a warty ol' toad that somehow got snared in an oven and bunrt to a crisp. Yum.

I cannot wait to bust open the Miller Fortune he so enthusiastically described as, "Well, it's... weird." This is gonna be a hoot. :rolleyes: :D

Factory blade that I put a handle on. Bought it from a mail-order company called "Atlanta Cutlery" in approximately late 1986. The sheath and handle material ("Pakkawood") cost a few bucks extra. I showed it to/asked Ethan about it this weekend, and he was reasonably certain the blade was made by Camillus. That thing has helluva lotta miles on it, and it has served me very well ;)

Very cool! It certainly looks like its seen a thing or two, but in a good been used well and taken care of kind of way. I really like these knives that have been around the block a time or two but still work and look good.

C-bear, did you happen to be on 67 today, about 6 PMish, going through Herculaneum, heading toward St. Louis, in a white car with a sunroof? I was doing about 77mph, and a guy that looked like you went flying past me.

C-bear, did you happen to be on 67 today, about 6 PMish, going through Herculaneum, heading toward St. Louis, in a white car with a sunroof? I was doing about 77mph, and a guy that looked like you went flying past me.
On 67, no. On 55N that may have been me. I was in that area, around that time, and was driving like an a-hole cause I really had to poo so was trying to get home LOL!!!

On 67, no. On 55N that may have been me. I was in that area, around that time, and was driving like an a-hole cause I really had to poo so was trying to get home LOL!!!

Haha, nope, not you then. :D

Wait a minute! Herculaneum is on 55, haha. I'm tellin' ya, you passed us up like we were standing still at Herculaneum. ;)

Wait a minute! Herculaneum is on 55, haha. I'm tellin' ya, you passed us up like we were standing still at Herculaneum. ;)

Which car were you in? Was it the red taurus in the right hand lane at the end of a slalom for me? At that point I think I was rolling at about 95-98. I had "In This Moment" playing, I really had to drop off the kids, and traffic had laid out just perfect for a 10 car or so slalom and so I did. Although I think I managed to still use my turn signals for every lane change.

Which car were you in? Was it the red taurus in the right hand lane at the end of a slalom for me? At that point I think I was rolling at about 95-98. I had "In This Moment" playing, I really had to drop off the kids, and traffic had laid out just perfect for a 10 car or so slalom and so I did. Although I think I managed to still use my turn signals for every lane change.

Yes, you were driving as in a slalom, haha. I saw you coming in my rear view, was gonna get in the right lane, and you swerved over in the right lane, so I stayed in the left. We were in our maroon Chrysler Sebring. I thought it looked like you in the rear view, and I looked as you went by, and told my wife it looked like you. You were wearing a ball cap. If you were returning from the gathering, it was probably a BK&T cap.

Factory blade that I put a handle on. Bought it from a mail-order company called "Atlanta Cutlery" in approximately late 1986. The sheath and handle material ("Pakkawood") cost a few bucks extra. I showed it to/asked Ethan about it this weekend, and he was reasonably certain the blade was made by Camillus. That thing has helluva lotta miles on it, and it has served me very well ;)

Glad you all enjoyed the dried sausage! This forum does have a sense of community that can't be beat.

This reminds me that I've got an old kit from Atlanta Cutlery from about that same era that I never have worked on. I recall seeing it recently when I was cleaning a bit in the garage, so when I get from El Paso I'm gonna have to start working on it.

It's actually an Esee cap, I don't have a BK&T one... But yeah. That was I, and Angel. She definitely earns her name! :D I remember the Sebring! There was one car earlier in the evening that tried to block me off, no matter what lane I was in he cut me off before I could get past him. That was annoying.

It's actually an Esee cap, I don't have a BK&T one... But yeah. That was I, and Angel. She definitely earns her name! :D I remember the Sebring! There was one car earlier in the evening that tried to block me off, no matter what lane I was in he cut me off before I could get past him. That was annoying.

Haha, it was you man, I'm tellin' ya. You were too fast to get a plate number, but I believe it ended in 8. ;)

Welcome back everybody! I hope you all had a great time and took a ton of pictures. I'll check in again tomorrow morning to see what y'all brought back from the mountain.

Very cool! It certainly looks like its seen a thing or two, but in a good been used well and taken care of kind of way. I really like these knives that have been around the block a time or two but still work and look good.

Me too, I enjoy a bit of character marks on any good tool, and especially an outdoorsy-type knife. Kinda like a pair of jeans or boots... they don't feel or look right until they're broken in and beat up a little :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back