Snarking at the speed of sludge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn this vegan experiment! that slab of dead cow is making me drool and my stomach to growl in protest...Tuesday will be the last day and I'm gonna celebrate at a steakhouse for sure!

wow.
VEGAN?
I'll try to have some bacon wrapped cheese stuffed shrimp in your honor today.
it'll be rough, but it's a grenade I'm willing to jump on for a buddy!

Very nice!

According to Alton Brown (food network GENIUS), the sirloin is the "beefiest" tasting cut of beef and is his go to cut for marinated steaks or kabobs. Not as tender as my favorite ribeye, but holds up well to a marinade. Other cuts tend to turn to mush if you marinate them too long. And then there is the filet, which I find too mushy even without marinating or tenderizer.

Oh best believe I am an Alton fan! I listen to his podcast (when he updates it!) I usually go for the rib-eye however the sirloin was on sale yesterday and it was a healthy hunk of meaty goodness that was calling my name so I went with that. However for my mom I went with a six ounce filet, my sister and dad both got eight ounce filet. It's all about knowing who you're cooking for. Mom always complains that her steak is "too big" when I get her a rib-eye (usually the ones I get are between 14-20 ounces.) My sister will eat the whole rib-eye then complain that she doesn't feel good and has the meat sweats. And my dad would RATHER have a good burger than a steak, however I felt really bad getting him a burger when everyone else had steaks so I got him the filet and he loved it. Also mom prefers hers cooked to medium well, my sister and dad both go medium, and I prefer medium rare... Which is a PAIN to get them all cooked at the same time when they are different sizes, different thicknesses, different cuts, and cooking to different temps.

My father just told me over the phone that he wants a good knife. And he wants me to find it for him.

He wants it to look cool but "traditional" with some type of bone or antler handle, 4-5" blade, and he wants it to have a nice leather sheath.

Price range 2-300 bucks. But he doesnt want to wait months to get it. A month or 2 max..... Which sucks because in that price range a nice custom would be best....

The knife will be like a hunting knife. Used mostly when he is out shooting his bows, and taken and worn at his competition shoots so he wants it to look nice.

Suggestions?

wow.
VEGAN?

It doesn't look like I'm going to be making your get-together next month Eric. I was hoping too but this whole "work" thing is a pain! They aren't gonna give me time off till March, and then it's only 2 weeks that I have to allocate for Blade show, the Gathering(s?) in Tennesee, and a couple other things already.

My father just told me over the phone that he wants a good knife. And he wants me to find it for him.

He wants it to look cool but "traditional" with some type of bone or antler handle, 4-5" blade, and he wants it to have a nice leather sheath.

Price range 2-300 bucks. But he doesnt want to wait months to get it. A month or 2 max..... Which sucks because in that price range a nice custom would be best....

The knife will be like a hunting knife. Used mostly when he is out shooting his bows, and taken and worn at his competition shoots so he wants it to look nice.

Suggestions?

a yuma sounds perfect,or something from JT, but wait time might be an issue.

what about something from BRKT?

Think this gorilla turned out decent:

gorilla.png

Stinkin' monkey....
I hate monkeys

Doc

Suggestions?

Don't ask me, I hate working with bone/stag/antler etc. There's nothing like the smell of burnt toenails and an expensive piece cracking at the last minute to ruin your whole day...

A stripped/polished 15 or 16 with jigged bone scales and a nice leather sheath might be just the ticket... and should be well within that price range.

Don't ask me, I hate working with bone/stag/antler etc. There's nothing like the smell of burnt toenails and an expensive piece cracking at the last minute to ruin your whole day...

A stripped/polished 15 or 16 with jigged bone scales and a nice leather sheath might be just the ticket... and should be well within that price range.

WW - this is a good suggestion.
pick up a 16 or 17, strip it, patinate/polish it, and make a set of scales out of antler for him.
he'd get something unique, and it'd be a very personal gift from you, even if he paid for the materials

Suggestions?
Keep an eye on the exchange as well... Cause like this just popped up.

holy cow.
I posted up a couple forum knives in the exchange and had a reply before I could refresh the page!

a yuma sounds perfect,or something from JT, but wait time might be an issue.

what about something from BRKT?

My first though was a yuma with bone handles... But im sure there would be a nice wait for that.

BRKT does have some nice stuff though!!

Check out Backwoods and Fiddleback forge knives here.
Keep an eye on the exchange as well... Cause like this just popped up.

Will do, but he is pretty set on it having some type of bone handles. If he was wanting wood handles there would be a lot more options!!

WW - this is a good suggestion.
pick up a 16 or 17, strip it, patinate/polish it, and make a set of scales out of antler for him.
he'd get something unique, and it'd be a very personal gift from you, even if he paid for the materials

That is a good suggestion!! Ill talk with him about it.

Thanks everyone!

wow.
VEGAN?

well, THANK YOU Vik, such a generous sacrifice:grumpy: anyway...It hasn't been so bad. It was a recommendation from my boxing coach as I hit a plateau a couple of months ago and no matter how hard I worked out I wasn't losing any more weight. So far, 3 1/2 weeks (with a 2-day break at the 2 week mark) have yielded a loss of 7 pounds. When I finish my month, I'm gonna combine different dieting methods with lower meat intake, but it won't be completely eliminated from my meals. Just watching that f*king steak pic made me realize I will never be a vegan :D

WW, you might wanna check Muela knives. Good quality and there is a lot of stag handled selections. Their leather sheaths are very good too.

Looks like a great evening, trade. It was an absolutely beautiful day here and I expect it will be tomorrow too.

Life is good out here in BFE as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back