Snarking at the speed of sludge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for age and glasses, if gou need 'em, get 'em....and to hell with what anyone else has to say about 'em. They'll be getting them soon enough, no matter what kind of denial they have. I've been wearing corrective lenses for 45+ years and now I wear reading glasses AND contacts. And they keep printing stuff smaller and smaller....

Thats my motto about damn near everything!!!

I always had good vision. 20/15 every time i took an eye test. Last one was several years ago but im still seeing just fine.....But im sure ill need glasses to read when i get a bit older. And ill have no problem throwing them on when i need them. I cant put contacts in.. I once tried some colored ones an ex girlfriend had and for the life of me i couldnt get them in my eye. I finally got 1!! in and it was uncomfortable as hell. So ill rock the 4 eyes all day if/when i need to.

But for the sake of the snark thread ill say quitcherbitchin 4 eyes :p

My entry in the cheap car contest.

I bought a 1959 Rambler Classic (that actually ran) for $50 to use as a work car in 1991. It used a quart of oil for the 10 mile round trip to work and back and there were no mosquitos on the route. Someone had taken the letters off the grill and spelled "Mable" with them. First thing when I would get to work was pull a quart of compressor oil out of the sump of the big Ingersoll Rand and reload Mable. I wound up giving it to a guy that had his truck repoed and he drove it for a year or two.

Mine was at some point blue but this was the model.

1959-rambler-six-custom-sedan-6.jpg

Last edited:
Cool car Trade, even if it was a oil whore.

Well, I've been answering emails, PM's, and FB messages since 7:30 A.M. I think im finally caught up. Out to the shop for the rest of the day. Grinding blanks all day today.

Out to the shop for the rest of the day. Grinding blanks all day today.

Yeah, Baby!!

glasses since 2nd grade. no sympathy.

710 said:
well looks like my wife gave me the ok to wear my homemade costume tonight... hehehe

I'm going out tonight as 'Dirty Bit'.
(that's for Bladite)

Used up my shoe allowance for the year. Bought a pair of Timberland Pro Rip Saws. They look like they'll be better than sandals, maybe not better than Crocs though. Added a pair of vice grips to my daily carry too.

Used up my shoe allowance for the year. Bought a pair of Timberland Pro Rip Saws. They look like they'll be better than sandals, maybe not better than Crocs though. Added a pair of vice grips to my daily carry too.

Only 2 months till the new year too... Now thats smart shopping :D

I got you both beat on the car....

Nope! I once "bought" a mid-80's Buick Skylark with an ounce of homegrown shake. Didn't cost me a single freakin' dime. It wasn't a very good car (0-60 in twenty minutes, heater blew cold air, you get the idea), but WTF do you expect for basically free? :D

That rusty, rattly POS didn't get me no lovin' from the ladies, but it got me back and forth to work and the grocery store for several months, including turning over and starting in terrible cold spells, and all I put into it was gasoline. Heck, I never even registered the thing or put plates on it... when it finally died I just called the local junkyard and they picked it up and took it away.

Not a money-makin' thing, but it dang sure was a better deal than laying out cash, making car payments or calling cabs ;)

Last edited:
got a job (priceless!), got a steak($$) ..... not too bad an evening

congrats on the new job. glad it didn't take too long to get back in the saddle.

44 here. I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 and for the last couple of years I've been thinking it's about to be bifocals time. So far the eye doc has made some adjustments so I haven't had to go there, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. Fortunately? Sadly? the doc said it was time for the wife to make the shift this year. She couldn't stand them and went back to her old glasses. (I guess it's fortunate for me. I'm not exactly eye candy. (Some might say much worse.) Now maybe she won't be as prone to notice.)

44? I got a nephew older than 44. I got my first glasses 46 years ago.

......... but then I got a couple of packages in the mail and she's not too happy so ......

Get a PO box and have all packages shipped there. :D:D I started doing that because of "mailbox shoppers", but a side effect is that when I have stuff come in, I don't catch a bunch of grief from folks that happen to be around when the mail is delivered. Not that I give hoot about what people think about my accumulation of sharp, pointy objects.

ETA::: Just saw that this was my 1,999th post. Gonna have to think about how to celebrate the next one. :D:D:D

I spent less than I'm guessing Murph did for this pair of boots (assuming he paid anything close to what I generally see them go for) on a 1953 CJ3B. We corrected the firing order, hooked up the battery, bled the brakes and with a bit of fresh gas she was up and running. I promptly tossed my Dad the keys and thanked him for all the help he's given me through the years.

44? I got a nephew older than 44. I got my first glasses 46 years ago.

Do I get bonus old-man cred if I'm extra cranky???? :)

I spent less than I'm guessing Murph did for this pair of boots (assuming he paid anything close to what I generally see them go for) on a 1953 CJ3B. We corrected the firing order, hooked up the battery, bled the brakes and with a bit of fresh gas she was up and running. I promptly tossed my Dad the keys and thanked him for all the help he's given me through the years.

Very classy! I bet he loved that moment and probably thought about it every time he got into it.

Very classy! I bet he loved that moment and probably thought about it every time he got into it.

He dern near daily drives that old Jeep and is slowly restoring it by replacing parts on it here and there.
Then...
100_0715.jpg

Now...
7855_10200598881363135_2118715086_n_zps34069746.jpg

I also haggled a deal with the gentleman selling some of his collection for a few other Jeeps in much worse shape than Dad's and a boat load of parts. We started restoring my Jeep and we busted ass on it before I had to move out of town. Right now it is a restored rolling chassis. I still try to tinker on it here or there. Dad recently surprised me with a picture of a body tub nearly ready for paint. :thumbup:

Do I get double-extra cred for being crankier than "normal" for my age? :p

Re: boots... never feel bad about spending tall money on a good pair of comfortable, durable boots. Good boots outlast most relationships. :thumbup:

He dern near daily drives that old Jeep and is slowly restoring it by replacing parts on it here and there.
Then...
100_0715.jpg

Now...
7855_10200598881363135_2118715086_n_zps34069746.jpg

I also haggled a deal with the gentleman selling some of his collection for a few other Jeeps in much worse shape than Dad's and a boat load of parts. We started restoring my Jeep and we busted ass on it before I had to move out of town. Right now it is a restored rolling chassis. I still try to tinker on it here or there. Dad recently surprised me with a picture of a body tub nearly ready for paint. :thumbup:

Yup, you suck.

Been wearing glasses or contacts since I was 11 :( I want laser surgery.

I got a really nice set of Royer boots the other day. 8" waterproof with breathable membrain, is compatable with all safety standards ( shock, slip, carbon toe/ shank, ECT). Work paid half :D only had to shell out $140 of my own cash (ther was a discount on that too hehe)

Only member of my family that does not wear any sort of corrective lenses... Plus they have been wearing glasses and contacts since they were kids but I guess I missed out on that gene, but like yall said it will probably catch up with me one of these days.

And on cheap cars I have had a couple... First truck was a Ford F150 XLT Lariat 1986 if I remember correctly may have been 84. It was the first model the fuel injected. Picked up for 500 smackers and I loved that thing. Got about 7 miles per gallon and was loud as sin. Had pipes that came down from the headers to a large single pipe right underneath the cab... you could not talk in the truck if you were going down the road. Also the window motors constantly went out. One year both the window motors went out and in the process of fixing the windows both busted!!! Being a poor teen I drove around with out windows through the winter... Had to keep a tarp with me to throw over the seat so I didnt have to sit on ICE and SNOW! You ever broke up ice off your dash to use the radio?! lol. Only other problem it ever had was the wipers didnt work. Which was always fun in rain... Loved that GD truck. Miss it A LOT lol.

Also had someone give me a 1986 4 cylinder Kawasaki 750 LTD for free! It had sit in someones back yard for a decade and hadnt been touched. All I did was clean and oil everything up, new battery and the dang thing ran! It was a super neat little bike, really regret letting it go.

Lemme ask y'all something: if you were out in the field/combat-zone/duck-blind/deer-stand with your favorite firearm and could only have one precision-ground gunsmithing screwdriver in your pocket in case you needed it to help to field-strip your gun and/or clear a foul, what size would that screwdriver be?

I would carry a Brownells Magna-Tip handle, either the #84 or the Law Enforcement (shorter shank) Hollow Handle. Both of these have hollow handles with screw-on caps and can hold 3-5 bits, depending on bit size. You can get them with specific bits for some gun models, or buy the handle and get the bits that will specifically fit your gun. If you want a good general purpose mix, the the 080-087-084WB would probably work well. I carry one of those in my range bag and have another hollow-handle set for S&W revolvers that I toss in when I'm shooting revolvers.

Can I post a link to a non-knife site?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...bits-sku080087084-400-1823.aspx?sku=080087084

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back