Snarking in a Becker Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was racking my brain tonight. I traced my great grandmother, from Scotland, back to Sir Richard Wallace, my 23rd great grandfather. He had a brother, Sir Malcolm Wallace, which would be my 24th great uncle. His son is none other than William "Braveheart" Wallace, my 1st cousin, 24x removed! Man, that was some serious work, haha. My brain can finally rest now.
Okay, not gonna lie, that’s pretty f’n cool…

I was racking my brain tonight. I traced my great grandmother, from Scotland, back to Sir Richard Wallace, my 23rd great grandfather. He had a brother, Sir Malcolm Wallace, which would be my 24th great uncle. His son is none other than William "Braveheart" Wallace, my 1st cousin, 24x removed! Man, that was some serious work, haha. My brain can finally rest now.
Just for shits and giggles, my grandfather and grandmother were from Scotland. My grandfathers middle name is Wallace so was my fathers and so is mine :thumbsup: I'am proud of the name what made me chuckle :p is we might be related :rolleyes: all seriousness though it is amazing what you researched and found out :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thinking about getting an Opinel, just for the halibut. You guys like yours? What size? Thinking of getting a number 8.

Have you seen the blackened one? It would match a BK's looks pretty darn closely. (it's not super cheap, though)

https://www.opinel-usa.com/products/no8-black-oak

Opinel_Black_Oak_Pocket_Knife_225_2000x.jpg

Just for shits and giggles, my grandfather and grandmother were from Scotland. My grandfathers middle name is Wallace so was my fathers and so is mine :thumbsup: I'am proud of the name what made me chuckle :p is we might be related :rolleyes: all seriousness though it is amazing what you researched and found out :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's freaking me out what I've learned so far. It's been great for learning, and relaxing my mind a bit.
Have you seen the blackened one? It would match a BK's looks pretty darn closely. (it's not super cheap, though)

https://www.opinel-usa.com/products/no8-black-oak

Opinel_Black_Oak_Pocket_Knife_225_2000x.jpg
That thing looks awesome. Nope, first time to see it. Thanks for the heads up.

Wish I had something to add. I'm in a Scots genealogy as a descendant thru my dad's mother, "The Mitchells of Kincardineshire" or some such. Mostly now, I just let 23 & Me and the internet do the work and find out stuff for me. Been contacted by relatives I didn't know I had - most recently a 2nd or 3rd cousin of my dad solved the family knowledge gap of how my great grandfather, a Polish jew, ended up being Harry Bailey...which has been a mystery for all 86 years of my dad's life. Also, thru my daughter's 23 & Me, a distant cousin contacted her and has the passenger manifesto from my mom's family journey (around 1940) from Germany (actually Portugal where they embarked from) to Havana and, subsequently, to the states...not so easy to find history when one parent is an escapee from Nazi Germany and the other descended from a Pole who fled the Czar's Army in the late 1800's. Mom's info mostly bombed into oblivion in WWII, great grandfather (as we now understand it) took his mother's maiden name to avoid getting conscripted - which was then "Americanized" (actually landed in Canada) on arrival.
I do wish I'd had the interest, 40 years ago, to ask my mom's father about the whole thing - she was only 6 or 7 (8?) when she arrived in NY, and mostly doesn't remember much (even less at 84, w/ Parkinson's) - other than the 1st grade girl who called her a dirty German, which she didn't understand at the time - because she bathed regularly.

Well, shoulda said nothing to add of importance. And I don't have the time to dig for more info - especially on my mom's side. They went to some length to bury their German past, given they left in fear for their lives and landed in a fairly inhospitable U.S., which wouldn't even let them in for about a year. Fortunately, they had $ and luck and toughed it out in Mexico City until they were granted permission.

Snark on, folks.

Wish I had something to add. I'm in a Scots genealogy as a descendant thru my dad's mother, "The Mitchells of Kincardineshire" or some such. Mostly now, I just let 23 & Me and the internet do the work and find out stuff for me. Been contacted by relatives I didn't know I had - most recently a 2nd or 3rd cousin of my dad solved the family knowledge gap of how my great grandfather, a Polish jew, ended up being Harry Bailey...which has been a mystery for all 86 years of my dad's life. Also, thru my daughter's 23 & Me, a distant cousin contacted her and has the passenger manifesto from my mom's family journey (around 1940) from Germany (actually Portugal where they embarked from) to Havana and, subsequently, to the states...not so easy to find history when one parent is an escapee from Nazi Germany and the other descended from a Pole who fled the Czar's Army in the late 1800's. Mom's info mostly bombed into oblivion in WWII, great grandfather (as we now understand it) took his mother's maiden name to avoid getting conscripted - which was then "Americanized" (actually landed in Canada) on arrival.
I do wish I'd had the interest, 40 years ago, to ask my mom's father about the whole thing - she was only 6 or 7 (8?) when she arrived in NY, and mostly doesn't remember much (even less at 84, w/ Parkinson's) - other than the 1st grade girl who called her a dirty German, which she didn't understand at the time - because she bathed regularly.

Well, shoulda said nothing to add of importance. And I don't have the time to dig for more info - especially on my mom's side. They went to some length to bury their German past, given they left in fear for their lives and landed in a fairly inhospitable U.S., which wouldn't even let them in for about a year. Fortunately, they had $ and luck and toughed it out in Mexico City until they were granted permission.

Snark on, folks.
I feel the same way about asking the folks before me. Of course, my mom has given me a wealth of information, and her cousin, did the genealogy thing years ago, and wrote a book about it that I was able to read, also years ago. I wish I would have asked my grandparents the information they would have had, but it didn't occur to me to ask those kinds of questions then.

GSOM’s 1/8 Canadian!

(Man, you poke your head in here like once a year, and end up writing a tome on your family history...cool stuff.)

Ha! Brother citizen of Toronto, maybe...
...and what I seriously lack in frequency I try to make up for in volume. Truth be told, I struggle mightily with time management, as well as chronic, toxic verbosity (see?) and I was spending WAY too much time here, to the detriment of lots of other stuff. Trying to figure out a way to be here more often without falling down the rabbit hole. Plus, I wanted you folks to have some reading material given how slowly the snark thread seems to be moving...;).

I feel the same way about asking the folks before me. Of course, my mom has given me a wealth of information, and her cousin, did the genealogy thing years ago, and wrote a book about it that I was able to read, also years ago. I wish I would have asked my grandparents the information they would have had, but it didn't occur to me to ask those kinds of questions then.

I was 18, visiting my (mom's side) grandfather in FL, when a guest of his reached for a teacup - and I could clearly see the tattoo on his wrist from a concentration camp....but I was 18, with a lifetime of things to learn. There is hope, tho, as I wouldn't have learned from family stories any of the stuff I recently found out. Plus, I've started asking my pop - who is more verbose than I and has a memory like an elephant. Also MUCH more interesting than talking about the weather in Maine or where they went to eat that night. He remembers a lot about his grandfather, who as I just found out, was - of all things - a blacksmith for the Boston Trolley Company, shoeing horses until electric trolleys obviated the need for his job.

And now, I gotta wake up my 14 year old - I am tiring her out here in Puerto Rico.

Bioluminescent Bay tour:

47324361342_433249e55d_b.jpg

View from Mt. Britton Tower in El Yunque National Forest. Can't see it in the photo, but (one of my) BK15 strapped to my pack ;):

40411762803_9a5c309c42_b.jpg

Anglers have an evil little hell spawn called the Bait Monkey which makes us believe that we "need" bait, lures, or gear than any normal human being should own. Is there something like this createn that exists in the knife, or in our case Beckerhead psyche? Maybe a Knife Ape or Becker Rat...:eek:

boostr boostr , you can’t have too many Becker’s. :thumbsup:

The way my mind is currently working; we got the Tuko at the end of April 2018, approximately 6 months later we got the intial shipments of the Beckhart in early November 2018, and it’s been almost five months since that. Could we have something new coming up soon? :D

Scratch the former William Wallace account, haha. I made a few mistakes, that I have painstakingly corrected. This stuff makes my brain spin. You'll see what I mean...

Okay, here goes. My 26th great grandfather, Adam Wallace, had a son, my 26th great uncle, Malcolm Wallace. Malcolm's son was William Wallace, my 1st cousin, 26x removed.

Crazy, but it was about to get mind blowing crazy.

John Wallace, my 19th great grandfather, had a mother and father, both with the last name of Wallace. His father's side leads to what I mentioned previously to get to William. His mother, Ellen, my 20th great grandmother, had a mother, Helen Baillie. Helen's father was William Braillie III. His wife, get this, was Elizabeth Wallace, my 23rd great grandmother, and the only child of William Wallace! William's wife, was Marion Cornelia Braidfute. She was the one that got her throat slit in the movie Braveheart. She was only 21 when that happened, and only 18 when she and William met. Although that movie was largely historically inaccurate, that did happen. To sum it all up, Sir William Wallace is not only my 1st cousin, 26x removed on one side, he's my 24th great grandfather on the other side! Freaking me the hell out, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back