Snarking On A Tropical Becker Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just re-hung this little vintage Stanley 2lb sledge. It's not quite right for bladesmithing, but it's easier to swing than the also-not-right 3lb sledge! :D

IMG_20190918_165545-small.jpg

IMG_20190918_165534-small.jpg

my favorite hammer is a 2.25 pound (1000 gram) swedish pattern - a little time on one face of that should make a decent rounding hammer, while leaving the other side mostly flat -- with some edge relief.

my favorite hammer is a 2.25 pound (1000 gram) swedish pattern - a little time on one face of that should make a decent rounding hammer, while leaving the other side mostly flat -- with some edge relief.

I've got a fancy cross-pein coming from Hilltop Forge, which should be here soon. Very excited for that. That'll probably be my goto, with this smaller one as a backup.

I sell someone a knife and turn around and buy a hammer. :rolleyes:

Just watched a video on rounding hammers. Cool. Perhaps I will modify the old Stanley.

I've heard those little 2 pounders called "drilling hammers". I've got one of my own, I think it is at work. I attempted to round over one side, I thought it was a neat idea. I am working on a stand right now for a 70 pound JHM basic farrier's anvil. I have to remove the rear legs and attach them right this time. :confused:

I've heard those little 2 pounders called "drilling hammers". I've got one of my own, I think it is at work. I attempted to round over one side, I thought it was a neat idea. I am working on a stand right now for a 70 pound JHM basic farrier's anvil. I have to remove the rear legs and attach them right this time. :confused:

YES, the label on the new haft said "drilling" something or other! Had no idea what that meant, but it was the only one that was clearly the exact replacement. Thanks for reminding me. Google-time.

Summer is over. I started a new thread. Let the Fall snark commence. :thumbsup:

Neither do old, dusty snark threads. Nope, nope, nope.
Took a walk up to the falls Sunday afternoon. It is still running cool and clear, even this late in the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back