Snarktoberfest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks about Tom Petty. Lost a lot of greats here lately.

In other news, why is this place so quiet anymore? Its like a ghost town it seems.

And one actual entry in my contest? C'mon now, y'all can do better than that!

Sucks about Tom Petty. Lost a lot of greats here lately.

In other news, why is this place so quiet anymore? Its like a ghost town it seems.

It's changed a lot since you were away, it really has. It's been slow for some time now. It also seems like most people want to enter the just say "I'm in" contests. Nobody wants to earn it anymore.

Heavy posters have moved on - Worldwood moved to the boonies of FL where he has sucky inet, G-shark graduated and got a job, guyon has gotten really involved with cave/rope rescue work, other heavy posters had kids or had kids grow up and have "activities" that parents attend. I have no idea why some of the other regular posters have gone MIA and ceased posting. e.g., GSOM, C-bear, Big Hoss, Murph, someone named Derek :p.

That sucks. Guess we will see. I used to love doing the challenges for prizes, was always fun and always learned alot from the enforced dirt time. I have some other goodies to giveaway, but if folks ain't gonna put in the effort...

As far as not entering the contest, I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it... Been reworking my mother's bathroom, teaching Diabetes classes, teaching other old farts how to reduce their chances of falling to stay out of the hospital, working on my EMT recertification classes, training for knife and tomahawk throwing events and more. Heck, I never even had a chance to go fishing all summer.:(

Heavy posters have moved on - Worldwood moved to the boonies of FL where he has sucky inet, G-shark graduated and got a job, guyon has gotten really involved with cave/rope rescue work, other heavy posters had kids or had kids grow up and have "activities" that parents attend. I have no idea why some of the other regular posters have gone MIA and ceased posting. e.g., GSOM, C-bear, Big Hoss, Murph, someone named Derek :p.

Okay, yeah, I deserve that. I see alot more over on Facebook, but nothing really along the lines of how we used to do things, and that is unfortunate. Lot of good threads, knowledge, and dirt time came from those old contests.

No stones intended, but a dearth of "dirt time" challenges for a while probably had a little something to do with the way things shifted. We went a while with no challenges so as new folks drifted in and out, they weren't exposed to the "environment" of competitive doing that we had going here for a while.

The thing is, it's not just here in Beckerland. The Knife and Hawk throwing forum has literally died as most everyone shifted over to Facebook groups. Some of the heavy posters in subforums have gotten ill or passed on. Many times, there are only a few folks driving things, with others kinda chiming in. When the driving force posters move on, die or get banned for going off the deep end, momentum drops.

It probably goes in cycles and we just have to wait it out until things get moving again.

No stones intended, but a dearth of "dirt time" challenges for a while probably had a little something to do with the way things shifted. We went a while with no challenges so as new folks drifted in and out, they weren't exposed to the "environment" of competitive doing that we had going here for a while.

The thing is, it's not just here in Beckerland. The Knife and Hawk throwing forum has literally died as most everyone shifted over to Facebook groups. Some of the heavy posters in subforums have gotten ill or passed on. Many times, there are only a few folks driving things, with others kinda chiming in. When the driving force posters move on, die or get banned for going off the deep end, momentum drops.

It probably goes in cycles and we just have to wait it out until things get moving again.

I can see that. Here is hoping it swings back towards busy. I want to see more shenanigans!

Okay, yeah, I deserve that. I see alot more over on Facebook, but nothing really along the lines of how we used to do things, and that is unfortunate. Lot of good threads, knowledge, and dirt time came from those old contests.

Since joining these forums, I have largely neglected Facebook, which I largely regard as a cesspit of unspeakable horrors. Here I can involve myself in the stuff I care about, organized in a structured manner, and learn a great deal in the process.

I can see that. Here is hoping it swings back towards busy. I want to see more shenanigans!

I have often heard about the "Glory Days" and I would certainly love to see a return to these time that have descended into myth and legend....

For the record, I do plan on entering your contest, I just need to create some "dirt" time. My better half is leaving for the weekend, maybe I will take the kids and go on a hike.

well, Saturday was my anniversary so SWMBO came home for a few days.
I'll try to get out on the woods this weekend and make a bunch of splinters and maybe some fire if the rain ever ends.

Anyone know anything about atwoodrope nano cord? .75mm and 300 ft of it at 38 lbs test, it is super thin.

Yeah, it’s been slow for awhile.
We need some new Becker knives in the lineup. Now that Ka-bar is hush-hush it’s hard to get excited about new products because we just don’t know if there’s anything in the works or when it might be released.
Remember when the Machax was being re-released and Tweeners were in the works? This place was rockin’! There were tons of giveaways and tons of contests. Things were happening to keep everyone interested.
Now that contests are back, that should draw up some interest. But we really need something to look forward to. Something to talk about. Truthfully right now the forum is just kinda stale. Not much happening. The contests should really help. I always enjoy them and try to get in on most of them.
I’d love to see a line of Beckers come out similar to when the Tweeners came out. Maybe a lineup of 3 choppers with some collaborative efforts...:D
Also without posts from Moose, The Gunyon, Tradewater, Bigghoss, and Worldwood it’s bound to slow down. A lot of the O-G’s don’t post anymore.
I love seeing the contests from Derek and Official Ka-bar. If we keep those going and have a few folks offer up some giveaways we can get this place going again. And knives! New knives!! Haha

Never heard of it, but 50# monofilament fishing line is .70mm and probably a lot cheaper. 60# is .80mm.

DerekH said:
People runnin' round loose in the world, they ain't got nothin' better to do.
Stuff happens...
AusPqZ3.jpg

cfky4i0.jpg

Anyone know anything about atwoodrope nano cord? .75mm and 300 ft of it at 38 lbs test, it is super thin.

people just getting old and familied and

the Dyneema throwing line i use is under 2mm, slick as snot, and 600 lb static

Alright alright, more contests, less disappearing for years on end, got it.

As far as new knives, I have no idea what is in store for us. I will see if there is anything new on the horizon for us.

I hope to get back into the swing of getting the challenges going again. Anyone who knows me knows that I rarely do anything without a reason, so, if, for instance, there was an upcoming challenge to be done, then as it had been previously, the previous contest might have some bearing or relevance to said challenge (*hint, hint*).

For now, we will see if we can stir up the hooligans into doing some useful outdoor activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back