1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Snarktoberfest

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by DunkEm, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    You gotta be VERY carefu with those propane heaters.

I don't know which brand the hunters were using, but this past weekend, we had 3 hunters die down here in central Texas while using some unnamed brand of propane heater to heat their camping/box trailer.

Xr6x and The Warrior like this.
  2. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    No, definitely not air tight. The blue flame vent free was the one I was looking at. I was telling the wife I thought about going ahead and getting one.

3. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I've been reading about.

Xr6x likes this.
  4. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    apparently the "IR plaque" models can add a blower fan - but then you can't watch the flames in the dark. :)
    the 10k BTU (little one) is under $85 with free shipping from a certain non-southern tool store.

Tanker 1/66 and The Warrior like this.
  5. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah I have the medium sized one for ice fishing. Works well for smaller spaces, and like vik said, has a low O2 safety so you don’t go to perma-sleep. Actually had it trip once, when it was like 30 below, and needed to open the door flaps to get some fresh air in. FYI, the settings are low, medium, and “holy crap, I can’t feel my left...foot”

Xr6x, Tanker 1/66 and 1066vik like this.
  6. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    yeah - the ones that you can screw a 12 oz propane bottle onto specifically state "do not use in a tent" because they produce so much carbon monoxide and have no safeties.

Xr6x likes this.
  7. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I don't have electricity there. Wouldn't need a blower fan, it's so small anywhos. I saw the ones you're talking about. SG has them on sale as well.

8. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    If I were to use some kind of heater in a cabin, I would put a CO detector down near the floor to pick up on any CO build-up.

The Warrior likes this.
  9. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    My Bro-in-law Uses an Aladdin vertical burning K-1 Has for years. It sits right in his living room. That might be an option also @The Warrior

91bravo and The Warrior like this.
  10. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    it was spendy, but i was in a good position at the time, and there was a good reason

i hear one might find a few backwater liquor stores (like in the SOUTH!) that have them on discount rack for $100!

had it a long time, i keep it in a dark and secret place, and it's not touched a lot, but i let it breath some.

i use the old branch water (aka finest glacier well water)

there are intriguing things about it. it's crazy smooth. it wants to roll and loll around.

definitely a "take hour to breath and experience life at a slower pace"

B's make a fairly decent set of things. they have both a peated and non peated in the $50 range. worthy.

right now, i have a decent Ardbeg, 2:1 water:dram, and it's a lovely thing to contemplate

11. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    which ones? they have MANY models

12. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Thanks @Bladite I thought i might have broke the Snark.

13. cbwoods67

cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
  14. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    that's funny as i was drawn to that model first... portable non-electric heat come up on a mailing i'm on too, as well as a couple wood working forums. hah.

strongly considering it... been a bit nippy around here (double digit minus)...

we're expect a "SUPER STORM", nor'easter, whatever you want to call big winds and a foot of snow tonite. 99% of everything pre-emptively just OFF and shutdown without a flake flying yet. then on the weekend, a super artic cold front (coldest days yet?)

seriously, Boston is so ... whipped ... by weather, that the mayor has made a habit now of announcing in advance ... things. it's just comical ;) all the surrounding towns cannot wait to start fining people for not shoveling (which the towns themselves often fail their own duties ;) and the car towing should be epic too.

oh hai, based on reports here, i went and ordered a snugpack blankee. good lord those things exceed expectations on being warm and even thinner than my favorite narcoleptic nap blanket. keeping one in the car fo-sho

15. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    @Bladite I'm on the eastern end of Long Island I get first dibs on that coming Blizzard

16. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    quite a bit north, doesn't sound like an actual Nor'Easter. so much panic and drama :D

btw, ignore my first two bunkers, they're just honey traps... you really want the 7th one ;) that one is perfectly safe. i won't be IN IT mind you ;)

17. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    fresh snow... place in glass. pour on bourbon of tequlia :> add more snow for slushie.

consume!

gmoneyluv, cbwoods67 and Tanker 1/66 like this.
  18. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    @Bladite They seem to drama it up around these parts also. Its called Winter!!! I spent the first 43 years of my life in Florida. Everybody not from there complained about the heat and humidity. But us natives just called it Summer

19. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2012
    This will take the edge off the winter conditions!

20. dynamicmoves

dynamicmoves

Jan 6, 2011
    Was driving home yesterday and a truck flew past me on the right and very obviously lost traction. Glad I didn't see an accident, but crap like makes me think Alaskans cannot drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.