Snarktoberfest

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta be VERY carefu with those propane heaters.

I don't know which brand the hunters were using, but this past weekend, we had 3 hunters die down here in central Texas while using some unnamed brand of propane heater to heat their camping/box trailer.

for short term and/or supplemental heat, they're fine -- especially since I suspect your cabin isn't totally air-tight.
the mr heater blue flame units even have a "low o2" shut-off switch.
turn it on, get the cabin heating up while you haul stuff in and fire up the wood stove, then turn it back off.
No, definitely not air tight. The blue flame vent free was the one I was looking at. I was telling the wife I thought about going ahead and getting one.

I don't know which brand the hunters were using, but this past weekend, we had 3 hunters die down here in central Texas while using some unnamed brand of propane heater to heat their camping/box trailer.
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I've been reading about.

apparently the "IR plaque" models can add a blower fan - but then you can't watch the flames in the dark. :)
the 10k BTU (little one) is under $85 with free shipping from a certain non-southern tool store.

Picked up a single head Mr Heater for my nephews ice fishing shack. It has 3 different BTU outputs. But I forgot what they are. He loves it out in the garage and the ice shack.

Yeah I have the medium sized one for ice fishing. Works well for smaller spaces, and like vik said, has a low O2 safety so you don’t go to perma-sleep. Actually had it trip once, when it was like 30 below, and needed to open the door flaps to get some fresh air in. FYI, the settings are low, medium, and “holy crap, I can’t feel my left...foot”

yeah - the ones that you can screw a 12 oz propane bottle onto specifically state "do not use in a tent" because they produce so much carbon monoxide and have no safeties.

apparently the "IR plaque" models can add a blower fan - but then you can't watch the flames in the dark. :)
the 10k BTU (little one) is under $85 with free shipping from a certain non-southern tool store.
I don't have electricity there. Wouldn't need a blower fan, it's so small anywhos. I saw the ones you're talking about. SG has them on sale as well.

If I were to use some kind of heater in a cabin, I would put a CO detector down near the floor to pick up on any CO build-up.

Bladite Bladite , this has me enormously intrigued! The few times I have had the occasion to sip Bruichladdich have been memorably pleasant, but none of them were of this particular type and vintage. I have never heard of an "unpeated" Islay, dare I say, Sacrilege?!

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear your tasting notes on this. I might have to educate myself on the nature of unpeated Islays.... Seems like an oxymoron.

it was spendy, but i was in a good position at the time, and there was a good reason

i hear one might find a few backwater liquor stores (like in the SOUTH!) that have them on discount rack for $100!

had it a long time, i keep it in a dark and secret place, and it's not touched a lot, but i let it breath some.

i use the old branch water (aka finest glacier well water)

there are intriguing things about it. it's crazy smooth. it wants to roll and loll around.

definitely a "take hour to breath and experience life at a slower pace"

B's make a fairly decent set of things. they have both a peated and non peated in the $50 range. worthy.

right now, i have a decent Ardbeg, 2:1 water:dram, and it's a lovely thing to contemplate

My grandpa recently mentioned getting a couple dyna-glo heaters for the house and garage. I have never heard of them, but he seems to think they are pretty good.

which ones? they have MANY models

that's funny as i was drawn to that model first... portable non-electric heat come up on a mailing i'm on too, as well as a couple wood working forums. hah.

strongly considering it... been a bit nippy around here (double digit minus)...

we're expect a "SUPER STORM", nor'easter, whatever you want to call big winds and a foot of snow tonite. 99% of everything pre-emptively just OFF and shutdown without a flake flying yet. then on the weekend, a super artic cold front (coldest days yet?)

seriously, Boston is so ... whipped ... by weather, that the mayor has made a habit now of announcing in advance ... things. it's just comical ;) all the surrounding towns cannot wait to start fining people for not shoveling (which the towns themselves often fail their own duties ;) and the car towing should be epic too.

oh hai, based on reports here, i went and ordered a snugpack blankee. good lord those things exceed expectations on being warm and even thinner than my favorite narcoleptic nap blanket. keeping one in the car fo-sho

Bladite Bladite I'm on the eastern end of Long Island I get first dibs on that coming Blizzard

quite a bit north, doesn't sound like an actual Nor'Easter. so much panic and drama :D

btw, ignore my first two bunkers, they're just honey traps... you really want the 7th one ;) that one is perfectly safe. i won't be IN IT mind you ;)

Bladite Bladite They seem to drama it up around these parts also. Its called Winter!!! I spent the first 43 years of my life in Florida. Everybody not from there complained about the heat and humidity. But us natives just called it Summer

Was driving home yesterday and a truck flew past me on the right and very obviously lost traction. Glad I didn't see an accident, but crap like makes me think Alaskans cannot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back