Sniper Veils...use them?

I've used that sort of garment only for hunting. Never carried one for backpacking and the like. I don't believe I'd have a use for it unless hunting.

DancesWithKnives

unless you need to keep someone else from seeing your outline/reflection from glass I would jusr carry a bandana or muslin bandage. I really don't see any practical use for someone who is just backcountry/hunting

I do, two actually: a plain black one and a "gold bronze" one. I don't need color variants that "blend into" the wilderness. I've worn them twice on certain trips in far-flung areas south of my country.

Just like the reasons you mentioned, the same reasons I used to wear a shemag are roughly why I have one:

- warmth/shade
- cravat/sling/emergency pressure wrap
- "gear hammock" when you need to secure some light items off the ground
- improvised pouch or net

By the way, a mini-rant of sorts; I emphasized I no longer wear the shemag wrap (not just for the political/cultural marks) because recently here in my country, its become a bit of a fashion trend among the younger set. You see the wanna-be "hip" and trendy set wearing them in the malls, cafes, movie houses wanting to look "cool"!?!! They aren't even traditional designs that are sturdier and well-made! I've had mine for 8 years now and given to me by a soldier whom I taught briefly in MA.

+1 on the shemagh. I have one that I use for alot of differant things. I dont see many hipsters sporting them round here though. I did see a pink one in the city though....WTF?:rolleyes:

I think they are a great multiuse piece of gear, and always have it in my pack. I dont wear it to the mall though:jerkit:

As far as a sniper vail....I dont see much use for one for me, but others might see it differant.

They are great and can also be used to attach natural camo native to the environment adding even greater concealment options.

or they are using clothing that WORKS, ie: keeps the heat off the head, keeps you warm, keeps dust and wind, freezing winds off your face.

believe it or not some of use choose clothes for their FUNCTION, not for fashion, not to be a "security contractor" or whatever other silliness people seem to think.

I wore my shemagh all winter while snowshoeing last year. It was very warm, kept the freezing winds off my face, and shielded the eyepieces of my binocs form the glare of the sun off the snow.

just saying.

Well said bushman. I like mine alot, and I am not trying to be a contractor. I dont wrap it like that in the pic though. I wear it more like a bandana, most of the time like a scarf.

I bet that does work well in the snow for skiing though!

This post is timely for me. A few days ago I took a piece of micro-fleece I had laying around and cut a triangular piece to wear like a shemagh for cold weather use. I figured it would serve a good purpose in nasty winter weather, to keep the head warm at night winter camping, as a scarf, as a triangular bandage, etc.

I was wondering if anyone else tried anything like this and with this post, now I know.

Thanks for the advice and opinions guys. I should mention that I am not trying to be a "contractor." I also have a shemagh that I enjoy. It would seem that the veils are a tad tougher in their weave (mesh) versus the cotton shemaghs. Don't get me wrong, the shemagh is useful. But I like gear that lasts.

gruntin does bring up a good point though. Considering that the majority of the good folks that post in this forum create wonderfully elaborate "bag out bags," would it not follow that you might be in a situation where breaking up your silhouette would be important? And BTW have a piece of gear that does several useful things? I am not trying to start an arguement, but start a good discussion on the pros and cons of a "sniper veil."

Thanks again.

If I see someone wearing a shemagh I wonder if they are from the Middle East, if they are a wanna-be security contractor, or they read too many SAS books.

http://www.actiongear.com/agcatalog/shemagh.html

Hey I wear one of those. :D
Keeps the bug out of my mouth when I'm atving.
The sweat off my neck when I'm woods walking.
And the sun out of my eyes when I'm out on a hill.

One is always around my neck when out in the woods, eather tied around my fore head in the summer or tucked around the collar of my jacket in winter.

I carry a shemagh. I rarely wear it, and if I do it just gets tied around my neck. I have worn it like that link once on a freezing cold night and kept me warm and toasty. It gets used as a napkin, medical sling, etc.

Back