Snippets of Life

Thanks for the Birthday Wishes Fellas.

Hey Guys,
Been a bit absent for a while.
I managed to get a batch of thin S30V, M4, and 10V sent off to Peters for heat treat a couple weeks ago.
I finished drilling all the holes in the 4V knives I have had profiled.
I was hoping to get them heat treated last week but that didn't happen.
I let me mind wander and I ended up starting to saw out 20 or so new knives.
5 of those are O1 Voyagers and 4 are some lighter copies of my Bladesports Competition knife in PD1.
These nine blades are fully drilled as well.
I want to get the Voyagers ready to heat treat at the same time as the 4V, so that has been part of that hold up.

I was also getting frustrated that I did not have any new knives in process for handle finishing.
I solved that and glued 8 knives up early last week as well, a few of those are standing orders as well.

The high (or down) point of last week occurred on Saturday.
While at my church's youth boys basketball game I slipped and fell twisting my knee behind me.
Nothing torn or broken thankfully, but 350 pounds of Big Chris was not meant to smash into the hard floor so abruptly.
My knee swelled and became rather tender and painful and I was not even able to put weight on it Sunday morning.
Monday was slightly better, and I could support myself well enough today that I thought I might go out and try to work some.
About 30 minutes later I was back on the couch in throbbing agony.

Hopefully only a couple more days and I can be back to doing what I enjoy.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the injury Chris.
Take it easy and let it heal. Glad to hear that you didn't tear anything, knee injuries can be nasty.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the injury Chris.
Take it easy and let it heal. Glad to hear that you didn't tear anything, knee injuries can be nasty.

That's what Mrs.Big Chris told me, "falling isn't easy when you get older".

Chris,
Ice ice and more ice. I turned 50 this year and gravity is much stronger the older you get :) I no longer bounce when I hit, just kind of splat.

That Voyager is a home run! I wish I was capable of a real review but just say it has earned a permanent spot in my small circle of real using knives.

Bill

I can relate to that. I'm 58 and my mind says yes but my body says no sometimes. I've been beat up from many years working a labor job. Heal up Chris, we've got cutting to do this month.
Scott

Chris,
Ice ice and more ice. I turned 50 this year and gravity is much stronger the older you get :) I no longer bounce when I hit, just kind of splat.

That Voyager is a home run! I wish I was capable of a real review but just say it has earned a permanent spot in my small circle of real using knives.

Bill

That's been the treatment, ice and rest.

Really glad to hear that you are pleased with the knife.

I can relate to that. I'm 58 and my mind says yes but my body says no sometimes. I've been beat up from many years working a labor job. Heal up Chris, we've got cutting to do this month.
Scott

No doubt. The cut at your place is the main reason I want to get healed and am not pushing too hard.
I'm really looking forward to meeting you finally and cutting stuff up.

Gosh... we're older now aren't we. Nuts!!!

Hope you heal up well. I'm going to try and make it up to the cut at Scott's shop on Sunday to spectate at least, so I hope to see you there big guy!

I remember my first gravity test pushing a full size skunked keg off a 5 story building into an empty parking lot. More fun than your recent test, but a reminder that gravity was a friend in our youth......

Good healing!

Thanks for the well wishes.
My knee is healing pretty well, but slower than I would hope for.
I can now walk pretty normal with only minor pain, but sitting and standing up from sitting is still slow and quite uncomfortable.
It is feeling good enough that I believe that I can stand at my grinder for a while today and start finishing out some knives.

I have several that I am working on right now and most are not spoken for.
I will probably get some pictures of them on Facebook and Instagram in a day or two before I start making sheaths.

I also have a large batch of blades coming back to me from Peters this week.
This batch consists of all thin 10V, M4, and S30V in many different patterns.
Feel free to get in touch with me if you are interested in seeing what is in that batch.

I have not yet been able to get the 4V or the O1 Voyagers heat treated yet.
Hopefully I can get that worked in later this week.

Just an update of what's been going on.
Thanks for stopping in.

I have been off of the forums for what seems like forever. I am still working on my doctorate, but the end is in sight. I am currently running my data analysis and waiting on feedback from my stats advisor. I WILL be graduating in May! This has been a long road and I am glad it is coming to an end.

Then, I can get back to my passion of bossing BC around in the knife shop and making sure he is getting his work done. ;)

Mrs Chris,
Congrats & will have you and your success in my prayers. I am just a High School grad and admire folks who put through so much work to gain such high achievements in education.
Bill

Back