[Snody] YOJIMBO...the folding Ronin lives....

Yes.....its finally a reality.....and before anyone gets all pissed and thinks this is mine...IT AINT. This is the first one...it will be going to Janich. :eek: :eek: :eek:

YOJIMBO1.jpg

My heart skipped a beat when I first saw this photo!! I can't wait to get one, it rocks!!

Isn't Spyderco thinking of making a production version of this?

Handled this knife tonight....it is AWESOME!!!

Spyderco has only committed to a Ronin fixed blade that I am aware of...

YOJIMBOKEITH.jpg

Dear Nosamk:

Thanks for posting the photo and starting the buzz. I really appreciate your support.

The Yojimbo concept has been in the works for quite a while. In fact, the design predates my Ronin, which is also available in custom form from Mike Snody and will soon be available as a production model from Spyderco. For the record, I have formally contracted with Spyderco for the production of the Yojimbo (which they will probably release as the "Folding Ronin"), but progress has thus far been slow. After numerous requests from folks who want a Yojimbo (including me), I decided that getting custom models out there first would be a good way to go. Based on his awesome work on the original Ronins, Mike Snody was my first choice of maker.

The original design for the Yojimbo specified a 3-inch blade, but slightly longer blade lengths are also possible with the same handle profile and length. More details concerning the actual construction of the knife will follow when I've actually got the prototype in hand.

I want to express my sincere thanks to Mike Snody for his efforts to bring my designs to life in steel. He's truly a class act and one of the best makers in the business.

Thanks to all of you as well for your interest in the design.

Stay safe,

Michael Janich

Wow....I'm a big fan of yours, Mr. Janich, (I have your books Street Steel and Knife Fighting, and your videos Fighting Folders and Mastering the Ballisong-all of them packed with so much info!!) and I have to say that is one awesome knife!! Do you know if the production version is going to be tip up as well? I hope so...this could be the closest I've come to finding the perfect knife!!!:D

Flinx

Mr. Janich-

The design is just awesome and Mike makes a superb knife...there isnt much else to say....I have a Ronin and it is probably one of my favorite fixed blades. Mike and I talked about the design and the possibility of longer blade lengths - he informed me that there will be [by your design] a solid backspacer/butt for striking and that eliminating it would allow for a longer blade.

I cant wait to get one of my own!! Thanks for responding and giving us some insight into the status and progess of the design.

Spyderco is currently making sheaths for the FB Ronin. Should be shipping very soon.

We made the original platic models on the Yojimbo (or Folding Ronin) working with Mike Janich. We do plan to make the model.

Mike Snody will be making up custom versions, at least for a while. He is licensed to use our round opening hole for customs. We have not yet worked with him on the Compression lock, but that is the plan. I spoke with Mike last week and we decided a Compression lock construction like the Lil' Temperance would provide the strength desired in the Yojimbo. Mike said he would like the model to have a 3" blade to keep within most urban legal size requirements.

sal

Woi!

Mr. Glesser, Mr. Janich,

I can't wait. Put me on the list for a Yojimbo. I'll buy one. Or more.

:)

-jon

Back