Snow & Nealley - New Owners!

Nope! :p

Makes me think they're probably too busy with the "new" business. :)

Pity. The optimist in me was really looking forward to a properly resurrected, US manufactured axe.

Who knows! That might still be in the cards. I just didn't get a response and my letter is probably buried under a bunch of much more important documents right now. :p I guess time will tell. :)

We do have custom makers on this forum . How about giving them some business.

any news on Snow & Neally

I would love the email address also. I have and love their Snow & Neally Pulaski Axe. It says Bangor, Maine (not Brewer) on the wood handle.

I have a quality made Shingle Froe made in Eddington, Maine by Peavey Manufacturing. Still a few other hand made USA tools also.

For over 130 years people who work the land have depended on Snow & Nealley tools. From the farmers and woodsmen who helped build our country...to today's gardeners, outdoor enthusiasts, and woodcraft hobbyists, Snow & Nealley tools continue to be the choice of those who want true quality.

Every Snow and Nealley tool is forged out of their own brick furnaces, sharpened by hand on their stone grinding wheels and then carefully assembled in their factory on the west bank of the Penobscot River. Each tool blends high carbon steel with native Maine ash, rock maple, and other select hardwoods to achieve the ultimate in durability and ease of function.

Other Snow and Nealley axes in stock soon.

Need more information? Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-592-6940 - Ask for Extension 547 or Internet Sales.

http://cspoutdoors.com/snowneallyaxes.html

Now, any bets at to whether this "own brick furnace" stuff is truthful? Seems like S&N did a Marbles on us.

^Hmmmmmmm makes me think that the website link is OLD because it goes to a dead page.

Hi guys!
I have some information for you on the status of Snow and Neilley...
I am the brother in law of one of the new owners, and visited their facility this weekend.
They bought out the previous owners, including a very limited supply of axe heads. They fully intend to have the heads American made, as they believe in the USA. They are in discussions with potential manufacturers. One problem they are running into is that the manufacturers so far are interested in much larger production runs than they can support at this time. Discussions are continuing. In the short term, because their supply was nearly exhausted, they did order one more small run of ax heads from China, and they were sitting there in boxes. They hope to have that be the only order from China.
They do the tempering and annealing in-house, as well as assembly, grinding the heads, painting, and final (lacquer) finish. Laser etching the logo into the handles is done out of state, before the handles arrive at their facility.
Regarding the website, that won't be functional, at least in the short term, and maybe (probably) never. The owners are Amish. They don't even have a fax machine, but will take phone orders.

Fantastic to hear. Do you have contact information you can provide?

A recent update for you. I live in Maine and asked a blacksmith friend of mine that lives nearby the shop to check out the story on Snow and Neally. He confirmed the heads are still being used that were made in China. I also called the number listed on a local ad and it was disconnected. So, not sure how they are accepting orders at this time.
Anyway, my friend is a bit of an artisan blacksmith and was interested in the idea of making some of the lost patterns shown in the chart posted earlier in the thread, or other custom made axe heads in his shop in Maine. I'm not sure yet on the cost, will depend on how much equipment he needs to buy and material cost. Either way, I thought I would post a reply to see how much interest there is in custom made axes or maybe just some of the rarer patterns. How does my friend get in contact with the niche market people are talking about?

A recent update for you. I live in Maine and asked a blacksmith friend of mine that lives nearby the shop to check out the story on Snow and Neally. He confirmed the heads are still being used that were made in China. I also called the number listed on a local ad and it was disconnected. So, not sure how they are accepting orders at this time.
Anyway, my friend is a bit of an artisan blacksmith and was interested in the idea of making some of the lost patterns shown in the chart posted earlier in the thread, or other custom made axe heads in his shop in Maine. I'm not sure yet on the cost, will depend on how much equipment he needs to buy and material cost. Either way, I thought I would post a reply to see how much interest there is in custom made axes or maybe just some of the rarer patterns. How does my friend get in contact with the niche market people are talking about?

Thanks for the update.:thumbup: I like my one Snow and Neally, but will not buy a China head.:eek:

Another update:
I spoke to my brother in law (new owner of Snow & Nealley) this weekend. They have their first US made axe heads in stock, and I believe he said their Chinese made heads are exhausted. I have no idea how long before the stock in stores and Amazon will take to be exhausted, but new axes are now being made with American heads.

Very nice, thank you for the update! Is there any way to visually distinguish between old and new?

My experience has been that whenever a great American company is purchased, the new owners do everything they can to maximize profits, which invariably leads to Chinese manufacture and increased prices for the consumer. Quality is compromised and will never be what it once was. Just look at Filson as an example. A Dallas company purchased Filson and moved a great deal of their production to China and increased prices dramatically as well as offering a line of "casual" wear. I am disgusted. I will not purchase a Chinese S&N. I hope the new S&N owners are able to continue production in America.

Last edited:
Back