so how do y'all like your seax?

I snagged one the other day. I am sure I'll get it in a few days. Meanwhile, what do you like or not like about yours?

And what do you use it for?

I like it rough--animalistic even. I love it when a chick rakes her nails down...oh wait, you said seax. Never mind. I don't have one of those.

Josh Feltman said:
I like it rough--animalistic even. I love it when a chick rakes her nails down...oh wait, you said seax. Never mind. I don't have one of those.

Josh,

You beat me to it!!! Got me laughing. So since we are just talking about it would that qualify as "oral seax" Or the groundbreaking book on female self defense " Seax and the Single Girl" :p

Josh Feltman said:
I think it only counts as oral seax if she's a screamer. I'll shut up now :footinmou

You beat me to the line of thought...

Instead, I'll just comment that it's a lovely thing to have in hand in the middle of the night when you answer the door. :eek: NO! I don't want to buy any magazines!!!

I was serious...I always have either the seax or the Rose with me when I answer the door at night.

ps: Seax education is an optional class here in Ohio.

The seax is a very stabby design (H.I. or whomever).

The reason I like the H.I. so much is you can beat the heck out of it and still use it as a fighter....a heavy fighter...but fighter nonetheless.

I was just looking over mine this evening with my father-in-law. I get nervous when he pulls it out....the point is so.......stabby. As a father, I can imagine so many dangerous situations.....:eek:......"kids....stay back for a minute, ok?"

I don't own one. I like something to stop my hand from sliding forward, like the Rose has.
They sure look nice, though.

munk

Jeb...something about a previous life you want to tell us?

:D :p

munk - the handle is intentionally fat near the bolster. If you adjust your grip to be "back-strong" then you won't slide. Let me explain.

When I use a "fighter style" knife, it is "pinched" using my first three fingers (thumb, pointer, middle) The other fingers are loosely gripping it.

When I use a khukuri for chopping, I am gripping mostly with my thumb and middle finger....followed by my pointer. Fourth finger bracing.....pinky loose. Allows for a snappy action.

When I use the seax....I am gripping mostly with my fourth finger, then pinky, then middle finger. Pointer is for bracing.

make sense?

With my grip adjusted like this, most of my grip energy is in the skinny part of the handle, keeping my hand from slipping. I've tested this (with the blade taped for safety reasons) and have managed to stick it tip-first into a 2x4 with no problems (after a few adjustment thrusts).

Every new knife style requires the user to adapt....learn to use the knife the way it was intended/designed.

You could make the same "why no guard" argument against a puukko....yet that is a knife that has stood (and continues to stand) the test of time.

There are those who say that sloppy knife fighting is what made us dependant on using a guard.

I do believe that having a guard can lead one to become overconfident and sloppy. But a well-trained hand is a well-trained hand....regardless of features/enhancements.

See for yourself. I made a london broil over the weekend, and used the seax to slice it nicely. The lack of a guard is a serious concern, like munk says, others say are you really going to be in a knife fight with this particular knife? and of course you won't be. Unless you are suddenly attacked in the kitchen, which would be an unforseen circumstance, and, being a HI customer, would probably be well able to defend yourself with anything at hand.

Ummm... the design is a proven one. Hold it *tightly* if you actually have to pierce something, not slice it. My .02.

If you are of Celtic, Saxon or Viking heritage, it may speak to you. Mine does, but I can't understand what it says. Yet.

Ad Astra

Im not sure about past lifes, but I have a developing theory about how the seax was used. I've posted it at least twice before, but hey, what the hell. Here I go again.

The seax was used cutting edge up, at least in a thrust.

The broken-back style tang of some seax is similar to that found on old bowie knives. According to Mike Stewart, those bowies were used cutting edge up, which makes sense if you think about it, the energy of most thrusts travels in an upward motion. Cutting edge up allows the knife to cut as well as poke when it is used to thrust. The broken back seax, when used with the edge up, aligns the point better on a stab, just try it and you will see. If the seax was used edge down on a stab, the wedge-like tip, I guess you would call it a clip?, drives the cutting edge down, away from vitals. Flip the blade over though, and the clip forces the cutting edge upward. This turns the dramatic ramping effect of the clip into a benefit, rather than the drawback it creates when used edge down. The ramping effect could then be used to force the blade into the heart without having to go through the sternum. I remember reading somewhere that seax were used to kill bears, I think that would most easily be done using the edge-up thrust into the heart of a bear reared up on its hind legs. Another thing that leads me to believe they were used edge-up is the fact that their sheaths hold them in an edge up position. People say this is to protect the stitching, which it does, but I also believe it was to allow the seax to be in the correct position when drawn.

Gee, I hope that jumble of words makes sense. Its late. I do not hold myself responsible for spelling errors or stupidity in the above. I just hope I dont become the crazy seax guy.

I need to share my opinions with some scholarly Brits who could articulate my points better.

Goodnight.

my seax is my general purpose knife, pretty much like the old vikings & saxons over here in the UK used them. might not be the ultimate tactical knife design, but i suspect it'd hold it's own against some of those new-fangled specialty fighters, if you use it right (ie. they shouldn't even know you've got it till after they've been poked with it)

i agree with DK above re the grip adjustments, my seax wants to go with me to the door late at night. (so do my 2 65 lb. hound dawgs) it ain't a HI, but it'll do the job. the rough stag handle keeps it in my left hand well enuff to get the pointy bit into whatever, while the doggies play with the leftovers. my right hand may have my Kobra or the gladius depending on how noisy the intrusion is. (back home it'd have the colt govt. model in it, caint do that over the pond here tho.)

Damascus Scramaseax

pic is from mfg. website, mine has a distinct curve to the stag which allows a better thrust. milage may vary. CSI would prefer us leaving a blood sample for analysis anyway. my doggies might not leave anything tho...

nah...your idea makes sense. Got any sources? I would love to read more on this.

Daniel Koster said:
nah...your idea makes sense. Got any sources? I would love to read more on this.

Someone posted a good seax article a while back, but other than that, its scattered on the internet. Good luck finding it too because all I ever found were little tidbits of info. Some of the difficulty is due to the fact that the search engines are clogged with sites about a goofy religion called seax-wiccan.

As far as I know, Im the only person who thinks it was used edge-up, but I could be wrong.

Edge-up is not an uncommon 2nd-knife technique. Works with a khukuri very well.

Back